Black Hills Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malticulous

Desert Gecko
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Black Hills Porter
5.6 gallons at 85% Efficiency for a OG of 1.052 FG of 1.013, 28 SRM and 40 IBU Adjust for your brewhouse.
http://hopville.com/recipe/72053/robust-porter-recipes/black-hills

62% 6 lb American Two-row Pale
16% 1 lb 8 oz Victory Malt
10% 1 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L
4% 6 oz Chocolate Malt
3% 4 oz Malteries Franco-Belge Belgian Dark Caramel Munich Malt 120L
3% 4 oz American Crystal 15L (I tend to get great attenuation and like the touch of sweetness)
3% 4 oz Black Patent
mashed ~154 (my MLT losses a few degrees)
First wort 0.25 oz Willamette leaf 4.0
60 mins 1.0 oz Palisades pellet 8.1
5 mins 0.5 oz Willamette
Nottingham dry yeast (1 cup of slurry repitched)
Carbed to 2.2 volumes

I have made a bunch of Brown Porters but this was my first Robust Porter. It won best Porter in the '09 B3 comp. I'll add scores when I get them with my ribbons.

The mix of crystal malts make it interesting but I would not call it complex. The ever present but so slightly understated dark malts just lead you in to another swallow. It's balanced well. Palisades always seem to have went great in porters. The FWH adds just enough flavor to know it's there. The flavor profile was set at about five weeks and I did not notice it change after that. The winning bottle was eight weeks (from brew day) old.

I designed this by stepping up my brown porter that I've brewed many times. I wanted it to fit right into the style and seem to have succeeded. It's a fine quaffer that I enjoy drinking.

Cheers!

MO just costs more. The specialty malts over power the base anyway. The guidelines allow for a American interpretation of the style.

That dark caramel Munich really adds a maltyness. The victory adds a toastyness. If I used MO I might use less Victory malt. I really haven't used MO much. I bet the judges thought it was MO based.

Finally got the ribbons and score sheets.
Aroma, 10 and 8 out of 12
Judge 1 said hints of leather and a little prune. No hop aroma. More malty as it warmed. No roast notes.
Judge 2 said malt dominant, some hops and fruity esters.​
Appearance, 2 and 2 out of 3
Judge 1 said dark brown, almost opaque, large moosey head and no legs.
Judge 2 said deep ruby brown, clear, rich tan head, fine bubbles and moderate head retention.​
Flavor, 15 and 15 out of 20
Judge 1 said malt forward, chocolate and toffee, good roast flavors without being bitter, some plum notes.
Judge 2 said rich malt, light caramel, toast, dry clean finish. Slight balanced hops, to style.​
Mouthfeel 4 and 3 out of 5
Judge 1 said Medium carbonation, medium body with creamy feel, dry finish with slight roast astringency (to style) and some alcohol warmness.
Judge 2 said Smooth, full but light. Medium carbonation. Slight warmth.​
Overall Impression 8 and 7 out of 10
Judge 1 said excellent representation of the style. Could use more malt aroma but roast flavor is pretty much spot on. I liked this beer.
Judge 2 said malt forward but hop balanced. Dry finish (may want to use more crystal, mash higher/shorter though dry taste is OK.)​

39 and 35 for overall of 37.​
Not much useful info to help me improve it. Judge 2 thought it was too dry but he also mistook malt aroma as esters. I like it and will pretty much leave it alone. It would be nice to know how to get it to score higher. I'm kind of surprised 37 got the blue ribbon.

Back