Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Batch sparge temp calculation question.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:33 PM   #1
Schnitzengiggle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default Batch sparge temp calculation question.

I am using Beersmith, and on my preview sheet for my recipe, it says to strike with ~9.5 qts of 164 water to reach a rest temp of 152 with my 7.5 lbs of grain at a temp of 75.

I will be using a double batch sparge of 3 gallons each, and Beersmith says to sparge with 168 water for each batch.

Meow my question is this, if I am adding 3 gallons of 168 water to grain that is about ~152 after my first runnings, will that keep me in the 168 range during sparging, or will I need to heat my water a few degrees warmer (175-180) to keep within the 168 sparge temp?

Is Beersmith incorrect, or is it just not that critical to keep within the realm of 168 during sparging?

Or, even better, is the 3 gallons of 168 water enough to raise the temperature in the mash tun to 168 without a significant loss of heat to the grain?

As usual I may be over-thinking things, but this Sunday will be my first AG brew day, and I would like it to go off without a hitch.

FWIW, this is an Ordinary Bitter recipe with an OG of 1.042.

Okham's Razor - simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

My DIY Kegerator - My DIY Fermentation Chamber - My DIY Portable Pump Box

Old 09-02-2009, 02:35 AM   #2
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1270 Times on 872 Posts
Likes Given: 2455

Hi. I follow the instructions from BeerSmith with good results. Others with more experience and a more scientific approach to brewing might be able to answer your specific question, though.

Old 09-02-2009, 02:56 AM   #3
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4964 Times on 2969 Posts
Likes Given: 4160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnitzengiggle View Post
I am using Beersmith, and on my preview sheet for my recipe, it says to strike with ~9.5 qts of 164 water to reach a rest temp of 152 with my 7.5 lbs of grain at a temp of 75.

I will be using a double batch sparge of 3 gallons each, and Beersmith says to sparge with 168 water for each batch.

Meow my question is this, if I am adding 3 gallons of 168 water to grain that is about ~152 after my first runnings, will that keep me in the 168 range during sparging, or will I need to heat my water a few degrees warmer (175-180) to keep within the 168 sparge temp?

Is Beersmith incorrect, or is it just not that critical to keep within the realm of 168 during sparging?

Or, even better, is the 3 gallons of 168 water enough to raise the temperature in the mash tun to 168 without a significant loss of heat to the grain?

As usual I may be over-thinking things, but this Sunday will be my first AG brew day, and I would like it to go off without a hitch.

FWIW, this is an Ordinary Bitter recipe with an OG of 1.042.
If you choose Single Infusion instead of Single Infusion, Batch Sparge, then the software will give you a mashout of about 1.5g at about 200F.

If you select a mash profile that includes "batch sparge", then BeerSmith does not include a mashout.

BTW, you probably already know this but you can force 2 equal sparges by just lowering the volume of your mash tun to 4 gallons (in your Equipment profile).

Reason: Apparently, it was not obvious that the answer was here. Bolded to help.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:00 AM   #4
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 103 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Either Beersmith is wrong or you are misinterpreting what it is telling you.
Adding 168F sparge water to a 152F mash cannot raise the temp to 168F. You will lose some heat to heating the MLT, and more heat to raising the mash temp, resulting in a sparge temp of much less than 168F. It's so long since I batch sparged that I'm not even going to guess what temp your sparge water should be heated to.

-a.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:13 AM   #5
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1336 Times on 877 Posts
Likes Given: 35

It's going to take something like 185F sparge to get 168. BS just defaults to 168 sparge given an assumed mashout.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:24 AM   #6
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4964 Times on 2969 Posts
Likes Given: 4160

Choose Single Infusion (not the batch sparge options) for your mash. BS will give you a mashout to raise the mash before the sparges.

I thought I put this in a post above, but apparently it was either 1) invisible, or 2) not clear.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:26 AM   #7
EuBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 9

not trying to jack the thread, but I have the exact same question. I've done 3 AG batches using Beersmith and added 168 water for the sparge and ended up with 40% (crush from LHBS sucked) 55% and 60% efficiency. Would adding the 185 water increase my efficiency? I've been mashing at 152 and 1.25 qt/lb and doing a single sparge usually around 3.3 gallons depending on the recipe.
Secondary 1: empty
Secondary 2: empty
Secondary 3: empty

Kegged: Nada
Bottled Nada

Planned: Sierra Nevada Celebration clone
CBC Bodhi IPA

I may be naive but I make up for that with inexperience!!

Old 09-02-2009, 03:51 AM   #8
WorryWort
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Yeh, that won't work at 168F.

I do my batch sparging with 182-184F water to hit 166-168F. Depends on your vessels and such, but as ajf noted, it simply isn't possible. I no longer use BS for my mashing and sparge calcs. It is confusing in my opinion!

In Kegs - Barley Wine, Apfelwein, Wild BlackBerry Wheat, Coffee Oatmeal Porter

Gone - so many :(

Old 09-02-2009, 04:29 AM   #9
phatuna
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I think that passedpawn is right on the money if you want to follow BS for your sparging. I have done 5 AG brews to date and until today, I couldn't hit 168F on my sparge. I do a double batch sparge and it is tough to hit the 168 due to variables such as a slow mash out which will lower your grain temp etc.

Today, I finally decided to add 1 gallon of boiling water prior to my sparging. This took my grain bed to about 165. Then I added the first batch sparge amount (minus 1 gallon) at about 175. I hit 168 right on.

I read one of Bobby M's posts once and he was talking about hitting 168 is not crucial to efficiency. I think he said that as long as you hit a batch sparge temp above 162 or so you are fine.

Have fun brewing up your first AG!

Old 09-02-2009, 04:44 AM   #10
EuBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 9

is this an error in the beersmith software then???

Secondary 1: empty
Secondary 2: empty
Secondary 3: empty

Kegged: Nada
Bottled Nada

Planned: Sierra Nevada Celebration clone
CBC Bodhi IPA

I may be naive but I make up for that with inexperience!!