Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Six little drops made such an improvement in my brew day

Old 08-31-2009, 01:54 PM   #1
Beerbeque
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Six little drops made such an improvement in my brew day

I used fermcap drops in my brewpot for the first time yesterday and wow what a difference it made. I typically boil 7 gallons in my 8 gallon brewpot and up till now I had to be very careful of boilovers. Not now. Just a few drops of fermcap allowed me to boil harder and I could not only turn my back on the boil but I was able to go about cleaning my MLT etc. instead of having to sit and watch and constantly adjust the flame. I think the fermcap saved me nearly half an hour overall. Great stuff

Old 08-31-2009, 01:58 PM   #2
chode720
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

+1 on Fermcap. Just bought the stuff and it is AMAZING for starter and boilovers!

Primary1: Pumpkin Ale
Primary2: Christmas Ale
Pimary3: Apfelwein
Secondary: Sour Brown
Drinking: Warrior Pale Ale, Wit, American Rye

Old 08-31-2009, 02:45 PM   #3
EvilGnome6
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I did my first brew with Fermcap yesterday, too. Six drops in 6 gallons of wort in a 7 gallon turkey fryer. It was the first time I didn't have a boilover. It didn't even try to rise out of the pot. Awesome, awesome stuff.

I added another 5 drops when I transferred it into my fermenter. Not sure if it was necessary but I wanted to play it safe since it's my first time using a 6 gallon Better Bottle and don't want to risk a blowoff.

Old 08-31-2009, 02:46 PM   #4
nostalgia
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chode720 View Post
+1 on Fermcap. Just bought the stuff and it is AMAZING for starter and boilovers!
The last time I boiled my starter in a flask without FermcapS it turned into Mt. Vesuvius on my stovetop. Ye gods, what a mess. Two drops of FermcapS makes boilovers a thing of the past. It really is amazing! I won't brew without it any more.

-Joe

Progress is always up on my Facebook page

Old 08-31-2009, 04:45 PM   #5
chode720
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostalgia View Post
The last time I boiled my starter in a flask without FermcapS it turned into Mt. Vesuvius on my stovetop. Ye gods, what a mess. Two drops of FermcapS makes boilovers a thing of the past. It really is amazing! I won't brew without it any more.

-Joe
Unfortunately my stove is electric and i cant make a starter in the flask. But it does let me do an 1800 ml started in a 2000 ml without the krausen blowing out

Primary1: Pumpkin Ale
Primary2: Christmas Ale
Pimary3: Apfelwein
Secondary: Sour Brown
Drinking: Warrior Pale Ale, Wit, American Rye

Old 08-31-2009, 04:47 PM   #6
Bowtiebrewery
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 1

God I can't say enough good things about Fermcap... Its probably the best thing ever on my brew day... And even though it was like $6 for a tiny vial of it... the thing lasts forever! Fermcap... I LOVE YOU! Lol

Old 08-31-2009, 05:49 PM   #7
Boodlemania
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Threadjack: Does fermcap keep a krausen from forming at all in the fermenter? Man, I bet that looks weird. What would a wheat beer be without a 6" tall krausen?!?

Old 08-31-2009, 05:51 PM   #8
nostalgia
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boodlemania View Post
Threadjack: Does fermcap keep a krausen from forming at all in the fermenter? Man, I bet that looks weird. What would a wheat beer be without a 6" tall krausen?!?
I used it in a braggot I did that was about 5 3/4 gallons in my 6 gallon Better Bottle. It still krausened and blew-off a little bit, but not as spectacular a blow-off as it could have been - the recipe called for 5tsp of yeast nutrient. When I read the bottle it recommends 1/2tsp per 5 gallon batch

-Joe

Progress is always up on my Facebook page

Old 08-31-2009, 05:51 PM   #9
SavageSteve

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

I can't believe I waited so long before trying Fermcap... just recently started using it since I'm doing starters in a 2000ml Erlenmeyer flask.

Now I won't brew without it.

-Steve
Planning: n/a

Old 08-31-2009, 05:52 PM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2883 Times on 1701 Posts
Likes Given: 3514

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boodlemania View Post
damn, that's a good question...I believe a krauzen still forms it just prevents it from foaming over....though I can't say I have ever paid attention to whether or not a krauzen actually forms or not...I'm pretty sure it does.

on another note, you know you are no-longer a fermcap boil newb, when you can go take a nap (or surf HBT in another room) between your 60 and 30 minute hop additions, with no worries....and loss of sleep.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/produ...x?ProdID=5987p

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew