Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > extract potential of Pumpkin?

Old 08-31-2009, 03:05 AM   #1
earlytimes
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default extract potential of Pumpkin?

Does anyone know the extract potential (points per pound per gallon) of pumpkin, either canned or fresh?

I'm wanting to add pumpkin to my mash, but I can't find any good info on how many points I can expect to get out of it which makes crafting the recipe to hit a target SG somewhat difficult. I read Jamil's recipe in BCS, but the only hints on what to expect is if using real pumpkin is he says to subtract 2 lbs of malt and add 5lbs of pumpkin. so am I to assume 2/5*36 = 14.4? Is that reasonable?

Old 08-31-2009, 02:14 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 141 Times on 134 Posts

My canned pumpkin says 4 grams of sugar per 122 gram serving. That's 3% or about 12 points per pound.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 08-31-2009, 04:08 PM   #3
kanzimonson
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'll be doing a pumpkin recipe soon and I'm just ignoring any possible fermentable contributions. If it turns out slightly sweeter/higher in alcohol, either one seems like it would fit with the style. The punkin flavor's what I'm really after...

Old 08-31-2009, 04:15 PM   #4
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Pumpkin has a lot of starch, which will be converted to more sugar during the mash, so I bet it will be much higher than an extract potential of 1.012.

And I've heard the pumpkin flavor really doesn't come from the pumpkin, it comes from the pumpkin spices.

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Old 08-31-2009, 04:24 PM   #5
BeerPressure
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I was wondering this too. I'm gonna do that recipe from the book and debating whether or not to use pumpkin at all.

Old 08-31-2009, 06:00 PM   #6
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 141 Times on 134 Posts

Quote:
Pumpkin has a lot of starch, which will be converted to more sugar during the mash, so I bet it will be much higher than an extract potential of 1.012.
Not what I have. 9 gram total carbohydrates: 4 grams sugars, 5 grams dietary fiber. Fiber isn't starch.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 09-01-2009, 12:29 AM   #7
ghpeel
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Just did a version of Yuri's Thunderstruck pumpkin that would be 1.050 without any sugar from the pumpkin. I added 60 ounces of pumpkin in the mash and the gravity turned out to be 1.060. So a pound of pumpkin added about .0025 to my gravity.

Kegged: Dunkelweizen
Primary: American Pale Ale

Old 09-01-2009, 12:33 AM   #8
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 703 Times on 447 Posts
Likes Given: 76

I haven't found that it adds significantly to the OG, though I understand that it probably should. While it may seem pretty unscientific or even downright ignorant of me, when formulating recipes, I just ignore any possible sugar contribution from the pumpkin. It works for me!

Old 09-01-2009, 12:21 PM   #9
jspence1
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I brewed yuri's recipe this past weekend and ended up at 1.053 exactly what beersmith said I would get at 75% without the pumpkin. I'm convinced that the REALLY long sparge had something to do with the lower than expected efficiency. It took close to 4 hours to get the 13.7G and the grain bed was cooler than normal.

Old 09-01-2009, 04:36 PM   #10
jamilz
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

You can calculate it out, but make sure to take a gravity reading once finished sparging. Then adjust with DME or water as needed.

Maybe it is just me, but pumpkin sure seems variable.