Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Thoughts on Northern Brewer kits?

Old 09-01-2009, 03:35 AM   #11
SkiGladys
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

That's why I don't buy the kits. But since I am fairly new, I like to start with a proven recipe and then do something to change it to make it mine.
I have been looking at the Northern Brewer recipes recently to decide if I want to use them as a base recipe to start from.
Sounds like no one has had a bad result with their kits.

Old 09-01-2009, 04:00 AM   #12
LordHedgie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suthrncomfrt1884 View Post
... haven't touched another person's recipe since then (other than Edwort's Apfelwein). I am starting to branch out though these days. I'd like to try what other homebrewers are doing.
Apfelwein's such a simple recipe, it's hard to change it. Whoops. I've got a modified version fermenting now, ask me how it comes out in a few weeks.

I agree fully on trying what other homebrewers are doing. I like to read other people's recipes; it gives me inspiration. A thread here recently inspired me to try to brew a banana beer for the springtime... but nothing like the banana beer that started the thread.

The big dilemma for me has been sharing recipes... Right now I'm drinking a really unique beer that's only ever had five gallons brewed, and well, if I share it, then I will no longer be the only one who's ever brewed it. Such a dilemma....

Yeah, I'd cave to pressure. I'm too much of an open-source geek to keep my secrets secret. And my current unique beer? California Common made with Cherrywood smoked malt. I call it Steampunk Ale, and it rocks.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:14 AM   #13
sethful
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've tried a few of the NB kits and they are good... pretty standard.

As far as 'making it your own' .... I tend to buy some specialty grains and steep them for 30 minutes or so. ... or if you can get some fruit extract and add it when you pitch the yeast. You get the additional unique flavor and a quarter of the time of an all grain brew.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:53 AM   #14
LordHedgie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethful View Post
As far as 'making it your own' .... I tend to buy some specialty grains and steep them for 30 minutes or so. ... or if you can get some fruit extract and add it when you pitch the yeast. You get the additional unique flavor and a quarter of the time of an all grain brew.
Making your own recipes and going all-grain are entirely different issues. The NB kit I brewed with had steeped grains, and many suppliers provide all-grain kits. On the other hand, you can make some very original beer using extract. The real question is "Would you rather replicate someone else's success, or create something new yourself?" Neither method is better than the other; it's a personality thing.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:17 AM   #15
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHedgie View Post
Apfelwein's such a simple recipe, it's hard to change it. Whoops. I've got a modified version fermenting now, ask me how it comes out in a few weeks.

I agree fully on trying what other homebrewers are doing. I like to read other people's recipes; it gives me inspiration. A thread here recently inspired me to try to brew a banana beer for the springtime... but nothing like the banana beer that started the thread.

The big dilemma for me has been sharing recipes... Right now I'm drinking a really unique beer that's only ever had five gallons brewed, and well, if I share it, then I will no longer be the only one who's ever brewed it. Such a dilemma....

Yeah, I'd cave to pressure. I'm too much of an open-source geek to keep my secrets secret. And my current unique beer? California Common made with Cherrywood smoked malt. I call it Steampunk Ale, and it rocks.
There was a time when I thought like that too. I would get offended when I heard about people entering another persons brew in a competition and winning. I'm still not to fond of it. If you design the recipe, you should at least get credit for it.

But as far as someone brewing my recipes....go for it. If I think it's good enough to post, then I want to share it with people. I guess if someone WAS to enter it in a competition and win....it means I know what I'm doing. I've never actually entered a contest myself though. I don't need a judge to tell me my beer is good. Plus, most of my beers aren't to style 100% anyways.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 09-02-2009, 03:21 AM   #16
LordHedgie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suthrncomfrt1884 View Post
I don't need a judge to tell me my beer is good. Plus, most of my beers aren't to style 100% anyways.
I've got no interest in competitions. I brew to drink good beer, and don't even consider style guidelines. Since tastes vary, I don't even really care too much if my friends like my beer. My wife and I are the only two judges that count...

Old 09-02-2009, 11:29 AM   #17
DrMaddVibe
Recipes 

I made their Patersbier.

I like it a lot!

Very easy to make. Friends like it too.

Old 09-03-2009, 02:21 PM   #18
BrewinJay
Recipes 

my second brew was a Northern Brewer Irish Red turned out great I found their directions better then my first one which was a Brewers Best

Old 09-03-2009, 05:55 PM   #19
red96jeep
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

i guess you could call me a NB fan, i've brewed two of there kits, there scottish 60, and american amber ale. both turned out great aside from my mess ups of learning how to brew on them. i would order another kit from them in a heartbeat, they are all well labeled and have fairly good instructions, of course you'd want to look on here for specific advise tho.

Old 09-04-2009, 02:19 AM   #20
brewnscooter
Recipes 

My first two (and only two ) batches so far have been BB kits. My first brew was the American Amber and it turned out ok. I think my fermenting temps were a little on the high side and my Amber acquired a bit of a cidery taste to it. Other than that, I think it was great. My second brew was a BB Kolsch. At first I thought it was bad, but some extended aging (about 8-10 weeks) in the bottle and it is now excellent. A friend of mine knows people that have won contests with the BB kits.

BB kits have well written instructions and you can't go wrong if you follow them. Be sure the supplier you buy the kit from has a good turnover of stock because I think freshness of ingredients is very important with kits like this...