Anyone use banana in a brew? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Anyone use banana in a brew?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2009, 02:56 PM   #1
DD2000GT
Recipes 
 
Sep 2008
Garland, TX
Posts: 426
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts



Yes, you read right - banana. I am what you would call a mad scientist brewer who enjoys trying new stuff. My youngest son just came up and asked me if I have ever used banana in a beer - he suggested maybe in a wheat.

Now, I love wheat beers and actually enjoy the banana esters the wheat beer yeast put out - and I purposely ferment a little warmer on my wheat beers to bring this flavor out a bit. But to actually use bananas - not so sure.

So - anyone out there try this? If so - what style did you put in it and what did you think of the final product? Also, any tips on using it?



 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 02:59 PM   #2
chriswilkes33
Recipes 
 
Aug 2008
Leander, Tx
Posts: 359
Liked 33 Times on 27 Posts


There is a beer out there called Well's Banana Bread Beer that says it is brewed with Bananas, I remember it actually being pretty tasty. I dont think it was a wheat. No idea when they added the bananas though so you may try to find a clone recipe or check their website for info.


__________________
__________________________________________

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 03:10 PM   #3
COLObrewer
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Pea Green, Colorado
Posts: 2,935
Liked 65 Times on 57 Posts


Banana Cinammon porter.

Uses 1 bunch of dried bananas in boil (Bag it) and enough dried chips to cover the top in secondary. I use 1/2 cup of ground cinammon in the boil also. Full boil for both. 5gallon batch.

Tastes great, I used hefe yeast, I think WL300 or 303?, to support banana flavor.

Rest of the recipe is just your favorite robust porter.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 03:17 PM   #4
DD2000GT
Recipes 
 
Sep 2008
Garland, TX
Posts: 426
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by COLObrewer View Post
Banana Cinammon porter.

Uses 1 bunch of dried bananas in boil (Bag it) and enough dried chips to cover the top in secondary. I use 1/2 cup of ground cinammon in the boil also. Full boil for both. 5gallon batch.

Tastes great, I used hefe yeast, I think WL300 or 303?, to support banana flavor.

Rest of the recipe is just your favorite robust porter.
Dried bananas huh? I would have thought the dried would not put out much banana flavor. I like the idea of adding it to the boil, I would have dumped into the primary after high krausen... Not looking for a banana liquor, but still a pronounced banana flavor. I would have never thought about adding to a porter - sounds good actually and with the colder months coming up I like the darker brews then.

Maybe use the dried bananas in the boil like you suggest, then add fresh local honey (strong flavor) in the primary. Hmmmmm....

Thanks,
Dan


 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 03:33 PM   #5
Edcculus
Recipes 
 
Jun 2007
Greenville, SC
Posts: 4,546
Liked 48 Times on 45 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by DD2000GT View Post
Dried bananas huh? I would have thought the dried would not put out much banana flavor. I like the idea of adding it to the boil, I would have dumped into the primary after high krausen... Not looking for a banana liquor, but still a pronounced banana flavor. I would have never thought about adding to a porter - sounds good actually and with the colder months coming up I like the darker brews then.

Maybe use the dried bananas in the boil like you suggest, then add fresh local honey (strong flavor) in the primary. Hmmmmm....

Thanks,
Dan
Dried bananna actually makes sense. I don't think I would have ever thought of that. Fresh would create an ungodly mess. I'd skip the honey in a robust porter though. Honey ferments completely. It would only thin the body and add alcohol. Any subtle flavors would be covered up in a porter. Use some honey malt or crystal for a touch of sweetness.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 03:53 PM   #6
COLObrewer
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Pea Green, Colorado
Posts: 2,935
Liked 65 Times on 57 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Edcculus View Post
Dried bananna actually makes sense. I don't think I would have ever thought of that. Fresh would create an ungodly mess. I'd skip the honey in a robust porter though. Honey ferments completely. It would only thin the body and add alcohol. Any subtle flavors would be covered up in a porter. Use some honey malt or crystal for a touch of sweetness.
That's what I had, I imagine you could use fresh bananas in the boil if you bag them, but I haven't tried that. Also I think they make banana extract if you wanted to adjust the flavor up at some point before kegging/bottling.

Honey would postpone your fermentation quite a bit also I would think. Mead takes a long while to finish. Maybe some honey malt, but then it wouldn't be a porter of course.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 04:10 PM   #7
erock2112
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
Chapel Hill, NC
Posts: 312
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


What about bananas in the mash? Would that work at all?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 04:19 PM   #8
COLObrewer
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Pea Green, Colorado
Posts: 2,935
Liked 65 Times on 57 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by erock2112 View Post
What about bananas in the mash? Would that work at all?
Boiling it for 1 hour only gives a slight flavor, so mashing it probably wouldn't extract much flavor or sugar in the mash since it is lower temperature, but I haven't tried that at all.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 04:31 PM   #9
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png
 
Yuri_Rage's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2006
Southwest
Posts: 14,279
Liked 794 Times on 506 Posts


This wine method may generate some further discussion:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f79/banana-wine-33636/


__________________
Homebrewed Blog..........YouTube Channel .......... Shirts, posters, etc

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
oh no! Banana IPA! BrewN00b Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 9 04-11-2009 03:58 PM
Banana? onelegout Recipes/Ingredients 1 03-11-2009 01:02 PM
Banana! John Long Mead Forum 3 10-11-2008 08:13 AM
First Brew Temp and Banana Flavor - What's Next? chase Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 9 08-21-2007 03:08 PM
banana budbo Recipes/Ingredients 3 03-07-2006 12:51 PM


Forum Jump