Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > WV ABV cap raised

Old 08-30-2009, 02:53 PM   #1
Owlbar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default WV ABV cap raised

I'm not sure how this slipped past me, but the ABV cap on beer in WV was raised from 6% to 12% on July 1!

As soon as I found out I went to Slight Indulgence in Morgantown and bought some Harpoon IIPA, Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout, Great Lakes Oktoberfest and Elliot Ness, Ayinger Celabrator and Rochefort 8 and 10.

I drank the IIPA and Elliot Ness last night. I'm not a huge fan of super hoppy beers but I liked the IIPA a lot, so I may yet become one. I think I'll try the Imperial Stout tonight (awesome!). I may let the Rochefort age in my basement for a while before drinking. Any thoughts on this?

Anyway, I'm really glad I can get a wider variety of beers locally, even if the prices are somewhat steeper than what I've seen in other states. Anyone know of another shop in WV where I can pick up some good beers?

Old 09-01-2009, 03:31 PM   #2
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 5

The cap was raised right as I was moving from Huntington to Richmond, VA. I went back to Huntington to judge a homebrew competition, and it seems like most of the businesses there still hadn't jumped on the higher ABV bandwagon yet. A shame. I always used to go to Ohio or Kentucky for good beer, and it seems the locals still have to.

Edit: This move was also around the same time Yuengling finally came to WV, so it wasn't all bad.

Primary: Belma Session IPA

Kegged: Ordinary Bitter; Session Blonde; Rauchbier; Fir tip Maibock; Avery Hog Heaven clone; Brewpastor's Dark Night of the Soul; Perry;

Bottled: Mosaic Session Brett, French Saison; Smoked Wit; Quad; Tripel; Saison Americain; Coffee Saison; Session Saison; Bacon488's Mild

Old 09-01-2009, 05:02 PM   #3
Jsamp
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Its awesome they did that for us. I went to the local store to grab some beer and they finally got a limited but new selection of beer. I ended up getting a 750 mL of Rogue Barley Wine. I plan on getting Sam Adams White Ale the next time I go.

Old 09-01-2009, 05:51 PM   #4
djnewdynasty
Recipes 

is that any good? havent heard of it before