Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > W-34/70 Lager Yeast
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2009, 01:54 PM   #1
The Pol
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 11,774
Liked 81 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default W-34/70 Lager Yeast

Who has used it? Did you like it? I picked up ONE packet when I loaded up on Notty, S-05 and S-04 the other day.

This will be my first lager, anyone have a recipe you would recommend for this yeast?

Thanks.


The Pol is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 01:58 PM   #2
KingBrianI
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 3,491
Liked 90 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default

I used it for the oktoberfest in my drop-down and couldn't be happier with it. It's crisp and clean and lets a lot of malt come through. You may want to pitch two packets depending on your pitch temperature and OG though.


__________________
I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!
KingBrianI is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 02:07 PM   #3
The Pol
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 11,774
Liked 81 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrianI View Post
I used it for the oktoberfest in my drop-down and couldn't be happier with it. It's crisp and clean and lets a lot of malt come through. You may want to pitch two packets depending on your pitch temperature and OG though.
What about a starter on my new stir plate.
The Pol is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 02:19 PM   #4
KingBrianI
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 3,491
Liked 90 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol View Post
What about a starter on my new stir plate.
I'm not a fan of starters for dry yeasts. They're typically cheap enough that just buying a second pack is usually the easier (and if you add in DME, nutrients, etc.) cheaper option. They're also rearing to go in the dry form, with everything they need to reproduce, even without oxygenation. Using that up in a starter seems a bit wasteful. But I'm sure it will work fine if that's what you want to do.
__________________
I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!
KingBrianI is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 02:53 PM   #5
The Pol
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 11,774
Liked 81 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrianI View Post
I'm not a fan of starters for dry yeasts. They're typically cheap enough that just buying a second pack is usually the easier (and if you add in DME, nutrients, etc.) cheaper option. They're also rearing to go in the dry form, with everything they need to reproduce, even without oxygenation. Using that up in a starter seems a bit wasteful. But I'm sure it will work fine if that's what you want to do.
I dont use DME for starters. I suppose I will give it a whirl.
The Pol is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 05:11 PM   #6
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Saccharomyces's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pflugerville, Texas
Posts: 5,444
Liked 96 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

This is the same strain as WLP830. The legendary German lager yeast. It's an awesome yeast. Good for any balanced-to-malty German lager (bock, helles, o-fest, etc.)
__________________
[How to Calculate Mash Efficiency | Do I Need a Yeast Starter? | My Ghetto Fermentation Chamber | Twitter | 6 Gal. HDPE Fermenters | Slanting Yeast | No Sparge Brewing]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd
Saccharomyces is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 06:56 PM   #7
Pangea
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Lafayette, LA
Posts: 325
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default

My favorite lager yeast!!

I use 2 packets of w37/70, I never rehydrate. Just 2 packs straight up. I try to perform diacetyl rest at the end of fermentation, but usually end up with slight buttery taste which goes away during lagering. So dont be discouraged when you think you have a buttery beer when you taste your FG sample. I was drinking a pilsner I brewed with this last night and was constantly thinking how smooth the beer was (incidentally this is one of my beers submitted to HBT competition, so we'll see how good it really is). I usually lager at 34F for about at least 2 weeks.

Also, since this is your first lager - it looks totally different than an ale when fermenting. It freaked me out at first. There isn't really krausen since it ferments at the bottom.
Pangea is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 07:02 PM   #8
Tonedef131
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Fort Wayne
Posts: 1,906
Liked 26 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

I dig on this yeast quite a bit. I don't care for any of the dry ale strains since you are usually looking for flavor contributions from those strains. But I find lager yeasts take to the drying process much better since all they need to do is stay clean. I have used it twice before and the results were good enough that I have an American Lager going with it right now. It's so nice to not have to step up a starter 3 times for a lager and just be able to pitch 2 packs and walk away.
Tonedef131 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 07:09 PM   #9
The Pol
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 11,774
Liked 81 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangea View Post
My favorite lager yeast!!

I use 2 packets of w37/70, I never rehydrate. Just 2 packs straight up. I try to perform diacetyl rest at the end of fermentation, but usually end up with slight buttery taste which goes away during lagering. So dont be discouraged when you think you have a buttery beer when you taste your FG sample. I was drinking a pilsner I brewed with this last night and was constantly thinking how smooth the beer was (incidentally this is one of my beers submitted to HBT competition, so we'll see how good it really is). I usually lager at 34F for about at least 2 weeks.

Also, since this is your first lager - it looks totally different than an ale when fermenting. It freaked me out at first. There isn't really krausen since it ferments at the bottom.
Heh, I cannot see into my fermentor anyhow...

Maybe instead of a starter, I will pitch 2 packs... I prefer to rehydrate, since dry yeasts need the cell walls rehydrated prior to introduction to a sugar solution or else the walls can be damaged....
The Pol is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 07:44 PM   #10
menschmaschine
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Delaware
Posts: 3,278
Liked 36 Times on 29 Posts

Default

Pol, I use this yeast pretty exclusively now for lagers. I used to primarily use WLP830 and I can't taste the difference in the same recipes. Actually, the W-34/70 was a little cleaner, probably because I slightly under-pitched with the 830. I rehydrate 2 packs (per 5 gallons) per Fermentis instructions and pitch when both the yeast slurry and wort are at or below 50°F.

I've made Helles and German Pilsener with this yeast and they both turned out great. The only difference in the two recipes was the IBUs/hops schedule. OG = 1.047 (FG = 1.011)... 97.5% German Pilsener malt (if you got Bestmalz Pilsen in your recent Country Malt order, it's a good one), 2.5% Cara-pils. Step-mash (or decoction) at ~142°F for 45 min, 158°F for 30 min, mash-out (if fly-sparging). Boil for 90 min.

Hops are any (or combination of) German noble-type hops:

for the Helles = ~21 IBUs at 60 min, 0.5 oz (for 10 gal batch) at flameout.

for the German Pils = 21.5 IBUs at 60 min., 6.5 IBUs at 20 min., and 0.75 oz (again, 10 gal batch) at flameout.

The only catch is, I would recommend against the "no chill" for these beers.


__________________
END TRANSMISSION
menschmaschine is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is culturing lager yeast from a bottle harder than ale yeast? hexmonkey Fermentation & Yeast 2 08-31-2009 05:23 PM
Effect on FG with same recipe but one with ale yeast and other with lager yeast. jaja Recipes/Ingredients 1 06-14-2009 04:33 AM
Ale Yeast That Works Like Lager Yeast? Cpt_Kirks Recipes/Ingredients 4 02-04-2009 08:11 AM
Mixing ale yeast and lager yeast- will it work??? kaj030201 General Techniques 8 11-11-2008 05:28 PM
When to replace ale yeast for lager yeast? Nimrod3388 Recipes/Ingredients 3 05-17-2008 09:09 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS