Thinking of an all grain setup - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Thinking of an all grain setup

Old 08-30-2009, 09:57 AM   #1
newbrewr4fun
Recipes 

Jun 2008
Beaverton, OR

I am going to try and talk my brother in law into taking the all grain route of brewing. That way I have someone to split the cost with. Right now I have a few extract batches completed and the equipment to do 3 gallon boils.

I am going to see if maybe we could set something better up in his garage, and be able to do full 5 gallon batch boils all grain. I think between the two of us we would want to keep the costs pretty cheap say around 400 dollars for equipment. Any ideas? Are keggles out of the question here?

Secondary empty

Bottled
Belgian ale

Old 08-30-2009, 10:10 AM   #2
KYB
Recipes 

Jan 2009
Liked 45 Times on 29 Posts

For 5 gal batches and the cheapeest route, you could just get an 8+gal kettle and a 10gal cooler from home depot. $40 for the cooler, ~$30 for the kettle.

Old 08-30-2009, 11:06 AM   #3
Brooklyn-Brewtality
Four Beasts Brewery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Aug 2008
Brooklyn
Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts

If I was sharing equipment with someone with the plan of always brewing together, I would go 10 gallons minimum. That way, you can brew at his place, each fill a carboy, then ferment at u
your own places.

Old 08-30-2009, 03:58 PM   #4
winstonofbeer
Recipes 

Jul 2009
Idaho
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Personaly, as a kettle i dont think you can beat a keg with the lid cut out of it.

When i have a buddy come over, If he pays for half of the cost of grain hops etc... He gets half of the brew. Problem for them is, Even if they get 5 gal of it. They dont have the c02 tank....That is the major drawback at the moment.
But i am sure one will pop up on craigslist soon

If you have time, and not in a hurry. Watch craigslist in your area. I have scored ALOT! of good deals.. Got a cooler for free. c02 tank, fridge, sanky tap, faucet $50.00

Lot of diy projects to that can cut down your costs.
I would consider keging if possible. Bottleing is a pain in the @ss.

Just my thoughts on it.

Old 08-30-2009, 04:30 PM   #5
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector

Recipes 

Nov 2007
Liked 3511 Times on 3325 Posts

What does a CO2 tank have to do with all grain brewing??? You can bottle AG just like Extract

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas.

Old 08-30-2009, 04:58 PM   #6
Talloak
Recipes 

Dec 2008
Austin, TX
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

newbrewr4fun - I was in your shoes about 7 months ago and I was able to get set up for allgrain for about $325.

Here is what I purchased:
10 gallon igloo cooler + parts to convert to Mash/Lauter Tun (MLT) = $80
10 gallon aluminum pot with lid = $70
5 gallon igloo cooler as a Hot Liquor Tun (HLT) = $30
Propane burner/turkey fryer = $50
Propane tank (new) = $50
Materials for homemade 50' immersion chiller with Quick Disconnects = $45

So that all was about $325. I've done 10 all-grain batches using this system and it works really well. I am still getting to know my equipment and getting a hang of sparging and hitting mash temps etc., but the equipment is holding up.

I would highly recommend the MLT conversion per Flyguy's instructions found on this website. The 10 gallon pot is nice because I can boil 7 gallons of wort down to 5.5 gallons with room to spare.

Thinking about: California Common, Fat Squirrel Clone
Fermenting: Greenbelt Pale Ale
Conditioning:
Aging: Strong Scotch Ale, Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison

Old 08-30-2009, 05:33 PM   #7
Denny
Recipes 

Jun 2005
Eugene, OR
Liked 678 Times on 487 Posts

Check out the Cheap'n'Easy system....

dennybrew

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - "Homebrew All Stars" now shipping!

Old 08-31-2009, 06:57 AM   #8
winstonofbeer
Recipes 

Jul 2009
Idaho
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yes you can bottle AG and extract.
But bottling is a complete pain in the @ss.
Kegging is 100 times easier.
That is why i said c02. Set up a draft system.

The only downside to draft is the c02 tank needed.
But if you search around a lot of the times u can find a good deal on craigslist on co2 tanks, faucets and fridges.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:14 AM   #9
newbrewr4fun
Recipes 

Jun 2008
Beaverton, OR

I would love to be able to get a keg setup as well as an all grain setup. I live with my parents though and space is an issue at the time. All of my stuff is in the garage, and the garage is a complete mess. Not really an option to put a kegerator in. Plus I would rather jump into all grain and then possibly try out kegging in the near future when I have some time to accumulate some more funds after spending them all on an all grain setup.

Quote:
newbrewr4fun - I was in your shoes about 7 months ago and I was able to get set up for allgrain for about $325.

Here is what I purchased:
10 gallon igloo cooler + parts to convert to Mash/Lauter Tun (MLT) = $80
10 gallon aluminum pot with lid = $70
5 gallon igloo cooler as a Hot Liquor Tun (HLT) = $30
Propane burner/turkey fryer = $50
Propane tank (new) = $50
Materials for homemade 50' immersion chiller with Quick Disconnects = $45

So that all was about $325. I've done 10 all-grain batches using this system and it works really well. I am still getting to know my equipment and getting a hang of sparging and hitting mash temps etc., but the equipment is holding up.

I would highly recommend the MLT conversion per Flyguy's instructions found on this website. The 10 gallon pot is nice because I can boil 7 gallons of wort down to 5.5 gallons with room to spare
That sounds like the perfect setup for me. although I would have ot get larger coolers and kettles for 10 gallon batches. I really think the keg as a kettle idea is what I would want if I could afford it but that starts to add up in cost pretty quickly. One that is setup and ready to brew at Sabco costs 340 dollars. I am not sure what I would have to do with a sanky keg, I am not real mechanical. I heard that the sanky kegs were best used to ferment anyhow. But if I can talk my brother in law into going ag with me and we brew 10 gallon batches at his house, just have a table setup with a half assed three tier system(wood blocks or crates or somethihg. Than that would be great.

I don't think we could talk the his wife in letting us turn the garage into a brewstation as well as a kegging station. That might take some work but you never know. Whats kegging costing these days and do you need to know alot of material related to kegging?

Secondary empty

Bottled
Belgian ale

Old 08-31-2009, 12:53 PM   #10
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector

Recipes 

Nov 2007
Liked 3511 Times on 3325 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by winstonofbeer View Post
Yes you can bottle AG and extract.
But bottling is a complete pain in the @ss.
Kegging is 100 times easier.
That is why i said c02. Set up a draft system.

The only downside to draft is the c02 tank needed.
But if you search around a lot of the times u can find a good deal on craigslist on co2 tanks, faucets and fridges.
I agree bottling sucks and I too keg, but I don't think think it should be listed in a What do I need to buy for AG brewing" thread. I know my CO2 wasn't the ost expensive part of my keezer build. It was the fridge and outfitting it with 3 Perlicks.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas.