Hop substitution help - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Hop substitution help
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Old 08-29-2009, 01:09 AM   #1
Lucretius
Recipes 

Jul 2009
WA state

Hi everyone; I bottled my second batch yesterday; an oatmeal stout. Unfortunately, it tastes pretty much the same as the pale ale I made (at least when they were both flat). Now I am going to make another stout (of the non-oatmeal variety) and I just took a look at the hops I have.

I have a bit of my Northern Brewer left, and I have a new package of Mt. Hood to use. The recipe I have calls for some bittering hops (Northern Brewer and Cascade.. but I can use Hood in place of Cascade I suppose) but I will be out of Northern Brewer by the time I am supposed to add the flavoring hops, and I don't know if Mt. Hood can be used.

My plan is:

1/3 c of roasted barley, 7 lbs Dark DME, 10 oz brown sugar, and then use Hood and Brewer as bittering hops, and (maybe) the rest of the Hood as the flavoring hops.

Basically my question is: can I use Mt Hood as a flavoring hop?

Old 08-29-2009, 04:24 AM   #2
Blender

Recipes 

Jan 2006
Santa Cruz, CA.
Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

You actually can get by with only the addtion of bittering hops with stouts. I see a lot of recipes that only use the initial bittering hops.

Old 08-29-2009, 07:16 AM   #3
Lucretius
Recipes 

Jul 2009
WA state

I ended up keeping the Northern Brewer for flavoring and used most of the hood for bittering, with the rest as aroma. I messed around with the recipe quite a bit. It seems like it's got the potential to be really potent - my OG was 1.080 (and that was after I put on 3 gallons of top-off water and shook it for only a minute or two). I took a bit of a taste —*Very very roasted barley flavor. Was quite a kick. I used 5/3 cup of roasted barley in this one. I'm excited to see how the botched-recipe-turned-experiment ends up!

Old 08-29-2009, 02:28 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Oct 2005
Willamina & Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Liked 148 Times on 139 Posts

Quote:
can I use Mt Hood as a flavoring hop?
Too late, but Mt. Hood is considered a flavor/aroma hop.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk