Need advice on grain purchase - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Need advice on grain purchase

View Poll Results: Where should I buy/mill my grain?
LHBS @ $60/sack, use their mill guilt free 7 50.00%
Wholesaler @ $42/sack, use LHBS mill and feel guilty 2 14.29%
Use LHBS mill guilt free regardless of where you buy 5 35.71%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2009, 07:39 PM   #1
Ksosh
Recipes 
 
Jun 2009
Albany, NY
Posts: 513
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts



So I'm looking to buy 50-100 lbs of 2-row grain. I'm facing a decision, and would like the HBT community's advice.

The LHBS (about 15 mins away) has the 50lb sacks for $60, but a nearby wholesaler (2.5 hours away) can get me them for $42 shipped to my door.

However, I don't have a grain mill, and probably can't talk SWMBO into letting me get one for a while. The LHBS has a grain mill that people can use and/or they'll do it if not busy.

So, do I:
1. Buy the LHBS's grain with the ~%50 markup and use their mill guilt free

2. Buy the wholesaler's much cheaper grain, use the LHBS's mill with a little bit of guilt, but try and buy the specialty grains and such at LHBS when I can.

As an aside, I'm all for supporting the LHBSs when possible, but I'm having a hard time justifying the 50% markup on this specific item...

Thoughts?


__________________
-Ksosh
----------------------------------
Primary: Belgian Dark Strong, Version 2
Secondary: Second running session ale #2

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 07:49 PM   #2
OMJ
Recipes 
 
May 2009
Camp Hill, PA
Posts: 580
Liked 19 Times on 13 Posts


if you get a corona mill that is hardly more than the difference between the lhbs and the wholesaler. So I say buy from the wholesale place and get a corona mill.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 08:00 PM   #3
cellardoor
Recipes 
 
Mar 2008
Brookfield IL
Posts: 381
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


Either get a corona mill or DIY one out of a pasta roller for about $30. To me it is kind of a douchey to buy cheap grain somewhere and take advantage of their free service. Personally I think the sack prices are a little high (every LHBS around here is $45 for 2-row) but they still have to make money somehow. If you don't want to spend money on a mill then suck it up and pay the higher price. Or contact a brewer around you and see if you can borrow a mill.

If you are going to be buying bulk grain from now on a mill is really a must have.
__________________
Cellar Door Brewery

Primary: Smoked Porter
Secondary: Flanders Red 2010
Kegged: 10.10.10, Robust Porter, American IPA


"Without algae, there would be no life on earth, the seas would be sterile and the land would be uncolonized."
-Sir David Attenborough

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 08:02 PM   #4
Ksosh
Recipes 
 
Jun 2009
Albany, NY
Posts: 513
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by OMJ View Post
if you get a corona mill that is hardly more than the difference between the lhbs and the wholesaler. So I say buy from the wholesale place and get a corona mill.
Hmmm, I could probably swing ~$50 for that mill...
__________________
-Ksosh
----------------------------------
Primary: Belgian Dark Strong, Version 2
Secondary: Second running session ale #2

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 08:09 PM   #5
mkling
Recipes 
 
Nov 2008
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Posts: 743
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by cellardoor View Post
To me it is kind of a douchey to buy cheap grain somewhere and take advantage of their free service.
I gotta agree. Either mill it yourself or suck it up & buy from them.
__________________
Currently On Draft: Bamberger Rauch Dunkel, Belgian Blond, Pilsener Urquell clone, Smoked Porter
Bottled: Concord Pyment, Mi'Apa Sparkling Mead, Chimay Blue, Old Simcoe American Barleywine, Old Cantankerous
Fermenting and Conditioning: Pseudo-Decoction Munich Dunkel, Left Hook Bitter
Recently Kicked Kegs: Fresh Hop Pale Ale, Citra Rye IPA
On Deck: Old Rasputin, Northstar IPA, Ur-bock Dunkel

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 08:14 PM   #6
aeonderdonk
Recipes 
 
May 2009
Morrisville, NC
Posts: 311
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Buy a corona mill. Just a note: I was looking for a corona brand mill only to find out that people use corona as a generic term. Similar mills can be found like this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Premium-Cast...ht_4103wt_1167
Also some good threads on here about them like thishttp://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-u...station-90849/

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 08:25 PM   #7
BrewOnBoard
Recipes 
 
Dec 2008
Posts: 202
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by ksocia View Post
So I'm looking to buy 50-100 lbs of 2-row grain. I'm facing a decision, and would like the HBT community's advice.

The LHBS (about 15 mins away) has the 50lb sacks for $60, but a nearby wholesaler (2.5 hours away) can get me them for $42 shipped to my door.

However, I don't have a grain mill, and probably can't talk SWMBO into letting me get one for a while. The LHBS has a grain mill that people can use and/or they'll do it if not busy.

So, do I:
1. Buy the LHBS's grain with the ~%50 markup and use their mill guilt free

2. Buy the wholesaler's much cheaper grain, use the LHBS's mill with a little bit of guilt, but try and buy the specialty grains and such at LHBS when I can.

As an aside, I'm all for supporting the LHBSs when possible, but I'm having a hard time justifying the 50% markup on this specific item...

Thoughts?
I would say you have 2 options:

1) Buy from your local guy and use his mill. It'll keep your shop alive (how bad off would you be if he went under) and you'll develop a relationship with the guy.

2) Buy wholesale and use the savings over time to pay for a mill.

In my personal system of morals the option of buying form a wholesaler and then using the mill of the local shop is not an option.

As for your choice between option 1 and 2 I think it would depend on how poor you are. If you're poor, go option 2. If your not poor but perhaps cheap, then think seriously about sucking it up and going for option 1. Price, as the only decider is what kills LHBS shops (and other small shops) and replaces them with the Walmarts of the world. Consider the extra couple dollars insurance for you against loosing your local shop as well as a donation to his business. I mean, owning a LHBS store is someone's dream (and hard work) worth suppoerting right?

Just my 3c (or 2c if the opinion was mail ordered) on your question.
BrewOnBoard

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 08:59 PM   #8
samc
Recipes 
 
Aug 2008
Portland OR
Posts: 5,387
Liked 62 Times on 58 Posts


Option #3 - Ask the LHBS owner about giving you a discount. Tell him your dilemma and see what he says. Maybe he is not getting a good price when he buys and therefore is forced to charge more to his customer. If he is a good business person he will see some benefit to having informed customers. He will come to realize that maybe he does not make much on the bulk grain but you are buying other stuff from him so he wins.

Option #2 - You should be immediately shot when caught performing this act.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 12:22 AM   #9
Ksosh
Recipes 
 
Jun 2009
Albany, NY
Posts: 513
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Alright, I've ordered an intro level grain mill (Grizzly H7775) so I don't have to 'mooch' off of the LHBS. I'm still going to buy my yeast, specialty grains/hops, and misc stuff from them of course. I'm all for local profits and supporting people's dreams, buy paying 50% more on a basic item like 2-row is just too hard to swallow on a regular basis.
__________________
-Ksosh
----------------------------------
Primary: Belgian Dark Strong, Version 2
Secondary: Second running session ale #2

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 05:07 PM   #10
BrewOnBoard
Recipes 
 
Dec 2008
Posts: 202
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by ksocia View Post
Alright, I've ordered an intro level grain mill (Grizzly H7775) so I don't have to 'mooch' off of the LHBS. I'm still going to buy my yeast, specialty grains/hops, and misc stuff from them of course. I'm all for local profits and supporting people's dreams, buy paying 50% more on a basic item like 2-row is just too hard to swallow on a regular basis.
Sounds like a sane decision. Happy brewing

BoB



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Regulator purchase advice nbspindel Bottling/Kegging 5 10-20-2009 12:41 AM
About to purchase my supplies, looking for advice Dave6187 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 20 06-18-2009 08:09 AM
Looking for advice on a grain mill purchase Anthony_Lopez Equipment/Sanitation 24 09-27-2008 11:34 PM
Advice Please: Next Purchase Kegs or Temp. Control postman Equipment/Sanitation 13 08-15-2008 05:59 PM
Which Grain Mill Should I Purchase? Evan! Equipment/Sanitation 5 02-02-2007 04:29 AM


Forum Jump