Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Yeast still on surface after 3 weeks

Old 08-28-2009, 02:33 PM   #1
pksmitty
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Yeast still on surface after 3 weeks

My Irish Red has been in primary for 19 days. Nottingham yeast. It took about 3-4 days to begin active fermentation, but the gravity has now settled at 1.014 for the past 3 days. I'm ready to bottle this weekend, but there are still yeast colonies floating on the surface. I have no way to cold crash.

Can I just go ahead and rack to my bottling bucket as usual, or do I need to be concerned about keeping the floaties out? Anything else I need to know?

Old 08-28-2009, 02:36 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2869 Times on 1696 Posts
Likes Given: 3510

If it's stayed the same it should be ok, but me personally I usually wait til the krausen is gone.

If it is just a few "yeast rafts" floating on the surface you are fine.

And more than likely when you lift the beer to the table top or counter you will knock some of those things down.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-28-2009, 02:38 PM   #3
pksmitty
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Wow, how did you type that fast?

It's just a couple rafts floating. I just haven't seen that before in my extensive experience (3 previous batches)

Thanks for the info.

Old 08-28-2009, 02:40 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2869 Times on 1696 Posts
Likes Given: 3510

Yeah raft floaties are pretty common, very few surfaces of beers are ever perfectly clear, there are always a few rafts of yeast buoyed up from the trub by co2.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-28-2009, 04:18 PM   #5
chefchris
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I used Notty (for the last time) in a APA a couple weeks ago and had some yeast glaciers. Had to cold crash it to get them to drop out. There's a thread about the recent problems with Nottingham lately.

I think you are confuisng circle k with a reach around. - Denny's Evil Concoctions

Old 08-28-2009, 07:13 PM   #6
SevenFields
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I just used Nottingham for the 1st and last time. It took way too long for fermentation to start and there was left over yeast ontop of mine also.
I much prefer liquid yeast. Back to WhiteLabs for me!

Primary 2: Belgian IPA
Secondary:
Bottled: American Barleywine
On Deck: Torpedo IPA