Corona Mill Users - Evaluate my Crush Please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RighteousFire

Reaction score
So I recently found a Corona style mill from a local guy who doesnt have the love for home brewing anymore so I reap his leftovers.

I'm doing my second all grain soon, an imperial stout, and in preperation I tested my mill to see what kind of crush i can get.

IMG_0149.jpg

I want to know what everyone thinks since it seems like corona crushes and roller crushes seem to look different.

Thanks.

In my limited experience, that crush looks a little coarse compared to the crushes I have made with my Barley Crusher. There also appear to be some that haven't been crushed at all...

i use a corona knock-off and had to adjust with spacers to get a finer crush.
i don't think yours is fine enough yet to get good effeciency.

Too course.

You'll want more flour than that. Plus I see a few whole kernels. I get a consistent 73-75% efficiency on my mill for average gravity beers. If I close the gap any I start getting slow sparges. Any wider and my efficiency drops. I think my numbers are pretty average for corona mills. Something to shoot for.

What would happen if he ran a handful of that thru again? I've not used a corona mill..would it get more uneven or is it better to just play with the gap?

Running it through multiple times will help, but lessening the gap would be better overall. Basically crush until you're scared - then crush a little more. :D

If you start getting slow or stuck sparges, back it off a tiny bit and there you go. While you're working it out it's not a bad idea to keep some rice hulls around just in case.

Thanks. That last pic is a big help. I wasn't sure exactly how intact the hulls should be. I'll play around with it until it looks close to yours.

Glad the pic helps. My gap is pretty close. When brewing 10 gallon batches I usually go through two 20v batteries in my cordless drill. I really need to hook up the washing machine motor I have sitting around...

Glad the pic helps. My gap is pretty close. When brewing 10 gallon batches I usually go through two 20v batteries in my cordless drill. I really need to hook up the washing machine motor I have sitting around...

I just use a corded drill. Batteries never seem to run out :D

That second pic looks about like my crush.

I think you're grinding too slow. I can run through 12 lbs of grain and not even have the readout change on my drill's battery.

Here's what my crush looks like from my Corona. I'm getting 86% eff with this.

2rowb.JPG

Thats what my last crush looked like with my corona knock off, and I got 80% efficiency with it on my last one. Like stated previously, crush it till your scared, then turn it up some more. I crush until I can hear the grains screaming for mercy! No off flavors from tannins to date. :rockin:

Here's what I got.

IMG_0157.jpg

I just started working at a Micro Brewery here in Frederick, MD (Barley and Hops) as a server. The head brewer, who used to brew for Flying Dog for a while, evaluated this latest crush and he seems pleased with it.

I'd like to see a little more crush on that RightousFire, while I'm certainly no brewmaster, I see large pieces w/ some whole grains. Just my $0.02.

Here's what I got.

IMG_0157.jpg

I just started working at a Micro Brewery here in Frederick, MD (Barley and Hops) as a server. The head brewer, who used to brew for Flying Dog for a while, evaluated this latest crush and he seems pleased with it.

yeah, go finer.

I hope this is not a thread hijacker but different types of malts crush differently. Atleast has been my experience. The original pic was of crystal (I think) and the following examples looked like 2 row. I noticed when I crushed my 90L crystal there was very little if any flour and that the grain itself seemed much moister than the 2 row or pils that I crush. I not trying to say his crush was fine enough just pointing out what I have come across.

I hope this is not a thread hijacker but different types of malts crush differently. Atleast has been my experience. The original pic was of crystal (I think) and the following examples looked like 2 row. I noticed when I crushed my 90L crystal there was very little if any flour and that the grain itself seemed much moister than the 2 row or pils that I crush. I not trying to say his crush was fine enough just pointing out what I have come across.

Notice how in Deuce's photo, every kernel is crushed. Now see how that is not the case in the others.

Crush until your scared.

I know I'm no expert but in his pic it looks like everything is completely obliterated.

I think I am going to go finer, maybe not as fine as the other pic but I will of course play around with different settings and find what works for me. I'll post a new pic in a little bit.

The first pic was Crystal 110, and the second was Muntons Organic Pale Malt.

This might not be the right place to post this question, and if not would love to know where is. Has anyone tried using a kitchenaid grain mill attachment?

This might not be the right place to post this question, and if not would love to know where is. Has anyone tried using a kitchenaid grain mill attachment?
Some people have tried it. It seems to be hit or miss. If you do a search you should be able to dig up some threads. I believe what most people said was if you had one, give it a try. Otherwise the huge cost makes something like the barley crusher far more cost effective and is far better performing.

I know I'm no expert but in his pic it looks like everything is completely obliterated.

I think I am going to go finer, maybe not as fine as the other pic but I will of course play around with different settings and find what works for me. I'll post a new pic in a little bit.

The first pic was Crystal 110, and the second was Muntons Organic Pale Malt.

Keep going finer until you get a stuck sparge. Fight through that for the day and the next time back off to your previous setting and just keep it there.

Keep going finer until you get a stuck sparge. Fight through that for the day and the next time back off to your previous setting and just keep it there.
+1, this is how I figured mine out as well. Keeping some rice hulls on hand can make that 'ok that was too much' day go a lot smoother. :D

My first crush with my Victoria (Corona, etc.) mill was insufficient, and that was reflected in the poor efficiency I got. I followed the "crank it down" principle, and am now hitting 70-80% efficiencies, which I regard as nominal. I have no intention of chasing efficiency numbers any further, unless they result from the chase for better beer.

I agree with you Bradsul, besides a little more grain to increase your OG is WAAAAY cheaper than special equipment to gain that extra 1% increase in efficiency.

Being consistent lets you remove just one more variable on your path to making good beer into great beer.

All I want to do is be as consistant as possible of course. Shooting for 75-80% is my goal. I'm going to tighten it up a bit and throw some rice hulls in there. I'm brewing tomorrow. I'm going to post a my first all by myself all grain brew day thread with pics.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Saluté!
RIS, here I come.

I just bought a Victoria (corona with larger hopper), based on the good info provided in this and other posts. Should be here Friday! Got a drill and bucket in the garage I'll be modifying.

Just wanted to say thanks!

BTW, I found these mills direct from Tawain and China. There are several mfgs making these things; in bulk, one could get these as low as a few dollars. Of course there are evaluations, shipping and the like, overhead, etc. Still I'm happy spending $30 instead of $100+ for a nicer, twin roller mill (and still having to fab stuff....)

Crush finer, buy rice hulls at less than a dollar a pound it's great insurance! Great to have on hand for those wheat and rye beers too. Learned that after brewing a damn wheat beer. $40 and you can get a great corona style mill house all set up and crank out the grain

Back