Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > Kegerator Recommendations

Old 08-24-2009, 07:13 PM   #1
pmgeahan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Kegerator Recommendations

So I've reached the point in my homebrew experience where I want to build my own kegerator. Really, I just want to stop bottling, and kegs lead to kegerators.

I've read lots of descriptions of how people built their kegerators, and I think I've got a decent handle on the experience. Most of the good build documents I've seen reference refrigerator models that are no longer sold(i.e., the Sanyo 4912 and such).

Can anyone recommend a good current refrigerator that'll hold two Corny kegs and a 5-10lb bottle of CO2? I plan to put a draft tower in, as well, so one that's got space for it on top is a must.

Can anyone recommend something currently available? Thanks!

Old 08-24-2009, 07:26 PM   #2
DrHops
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default kegerator

Sanyo sells a 4912M that also works great. I just picked one up at a local electronics megastore for $189. I followed the plans that I found online, took the tower and tank from my old Haier kegerator that just died, and I was in business. I upscaled it a bit by adding a solid wood top that I stained to the top of the unit and the metal rail that was on the Haier. It will fit 2 cornies and a 5 lb CO2 tank.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:17 AM   #3
MistyMountainHops
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Have you considered buying a deep freeze? They make relatively small ones - all you need after that is a temperature controller ($60 for analog, $120 for digital) and you have a kegerator with temp options!

Old 08-29-2009, 12:19 AM   #4
MistyMountainHops
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

There's always this too...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/frig...version-89013/

Old 08-29-2009, 03:12 AM   #5
iamahomebrewer
Recipes 

Default misty's got you on the right track

I like the lock on this one, it keeps the door closed nice and tight. If you go with another brand add a clasp, it helps. Also, I like to keep my CO2 outside the mini fridge, just drill a hole and add a gasket for the hosing to pass thru the side or back panel. The valves and dials take up valuable space and I like to keep a few 12 or 22 oz bottles in here for tastings.
have fun!