so..i brewed my first this sunday.
and boy oh boy...was it a mess. I used to read this board and see all people posting about how they make mistakes on their first brew day..etc. and I always thought, hey the process isn't that hard I shouldn't have many mistakes..boy was I wrong.
Things I did because I am a n00b.
1. Didn't realize that 1.5 gallons in a 6gal kettle is not enough for the floating thermometer to actually float in
So i rigged up a shoelace device attaching to the kettle handle that hung the thermometer dipping its tip into the wort.
2. Didn't realize that DME chunks up when it comes in contact with heat..steam included......DUH
3. Takes a long time to boil 1.5gal of water on a stove top..zzzzzz
4. Took out my spoon during the boil (this bites me in the ass later)
5. When chilling wort make sure you have enough space for ice...chilling a 6gal in my small kitchen sink was a pain....
6. Make sure you either feed your pet or put him away somewhere before brewing ( especially if they are extra curious)
7.Make sure you have enough ice( i froze a lot of water bottles, but then realized that they dont come in contact with the kettle as much as the ice does)
8. Make sure your sanitation bucket holds 5gals of water before attempting to fill it up to 5 gals...doh....water everywhere
. Ended up doing 2.5gals and 1/2oz of Star San.
9. Speaking of 2.5gals, make sure you have something to measure water with quickly. I tried to do 8cups of water (.5gal) almost twice cause I lost count of how many cups I already poured. Ended up using my blenders "bucket" because it has a 4 cup measuring line on it ( 4cups + 4 cups = .5 gal...I hope
10. Pour the wort slowly into the funnel...unless you want it all over your SWMBO's clothing...oops..sorry honey (thx for holding the funnel steady tho)
11. Remember that spoon i took out during the boil? yea, bags full of hop flying into the funnel is not a good idea...especially since it blocks the funnel and you didn't sanitize anything to pull the bags out of the funnel.....uhh yeah...thinking ahead is not up to my skill level yet.
12. So apparently stoppers are not suppose to be pushed into the neck of the fermenter all the way...let's leave it at that.
13. Don't close your fermenter before pitching the yeast !!!! twice
14. Don't let your fingers get into the water that's being poured into the fermenter to top it off..
15. Don't forget to take a hydrometer reading ( after pouring the top off water?)..i did it before and now I don't know what my actual reading is. Its only been 24hrs maybe I should take one now.
One thing I did do correctly..I didn't fear the foam !!!! although not all foam came out of the fermenter when I poured the wort and beer.
I will be VERY VERY VERY surprised if this beer comes out without an infection. In fact I will be so surprised I promise to drink all of 5gal in 1 weekend.
I made many many mistakes that I learned from.
Feel free to laugh.