Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Why is my beer better when bottled with oats?

Old 08-25-2009, 03:42 AM   #21
cimirie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

oldschool - to be honest, I don't have much to share with you. My LBHS didn't have or know what caraRed was (my recipe called for it) so I substituted flaked wheat for it (it was a fairly sizable portion of my grainbill). When I got home and found that caraRed was a crystal malt, I got upset and didn't care about recording my numbers (OK, so I was pouting).

Having said all that, it tasted pretty good at bottling time. If I remember correctly, my recipe laid out the OG somewhere in the low to mid 50s, so your 56 sounds about where I was aiming. Once I taste it after conditioning, I'll let you know!

You guys joke around with this all you want, but let me tell you something: I tried making my own beer one time and wound up with herpes!

Primary: Billy Corrigan Ale, malted cider experiment, Optimator clone
Secondary: Sorachi Ace IPA
Bottled: Dark Lord Clone Imperial Stout, Winter 2010 Spiced Ale Ambassador Brown Ale, Michigan Berry pLambic
Kegged: Old Woodward ESB, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: Honey brown ale, dry stout

Old 08-25-2009, 04:35 AM   #22
oldschool
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

so you are strictly all grain? how long have u been at it? I have yet to make that step but hope to pretty soon. i guess i'm a little intimidated and dreading forkin out the cash for the extra equipment. can u post a pic of your setup?

Old 08-25-2009, 04:36 AM   #23
BrewOnBoard
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
Well I think i'll take the advise you all have given me and not do it again. But i may try mashing oats in my next porter. thanks for the input.

happy brewing!
oldschool,

Don't let the masses shout you down. You tried something new and you got a good result. Great! This is how things get invented. You also introduced your results to the masses, and since it's against the known theory, you received push-back and skepticism. Even better! Now reproduce the experiment, and hopefully some of your peers will reproduce the experiment (I will) and we will see if the results are consistently repeatable. It's inspiration meets science! Go for it!

You're not talking about making a 50million gigawatt Tesla coil that is going to destroy the planet here. Even the bottle bomb theory is being debated for its legitimacy and in your first experiment you didn't experience Hiroshema-beer did you? Even if you discover that 5 oat flakes = Hiroshema-beer then you've learned something. If oats are that powerful perhaps we'll all start carbing our bottles by adding one flake and save messing with corn sugar.

Go do it again man! Run with scissors while you're at it.

BrewOnBoard
People Like This 
Old 08-25-2009, 04:40 AM   #24
oldschool
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

That was some of the most optimistic information i've heard. and yes you are right i didn't have either one of the bottles explode nor did it seem to be more carbed than the others. are you saying you are open minded enough to try it yourself?

Old 08-25-2009, 04:43 AM   #25
cimirie
Recipes 

Seriously, take the plunge. I didn't really get it when ppl told me to do it and how much better it was. So, I'm not gonna try to explain it to you. Dont' think about it, just do it. As to the cash... Sure you're gonna spend some money on the 10 gallon MLT, but you don't have to do everything all at once.

I brew with a buddy of mine, and he's got a kick-ass setup with a 12 gallon boil pot and all the trimmings. I'll brew with him once a month. But at home, I don't have the space or the equipment he has. BUT, I have a 10 gal MLT (coleman cooler with a stainless steel braid) and i use my 5 gallon boil pot. I make 4 gallon batches but add 1 gallon right before pitching the yeast so I'm really only collecting and boiling 4 gallons down to 3. Right now, this works for me (as long as I don't do any really big beers).

Long story short, I can do batches dirt-cheap and the only extra cost I've incurred is the $50 for making my MLT. I've started washing my yeast so I'm spending on average for a 4 gallon batch $15-18. You'll make up the cost of the setup over time. But really, it's just more fun making it from scratch.
You guys joke around with this all you want, but let me tell you something: I tried making my own beer one time and wound up with herpes!

Bottled: Dark Lord Clone Imperial Stout, Winter 2010 Spiced Ale Ambassador Brown Ale, Michigan Berry pLambic

Old 08-25-2009, 04:47 AM   #26
BrewOnBoard
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
That was some of the most optimistic information i've heard. and yes you are right i didn't have either one of the bottles explode nor did it seem to be more carbed than the others. are you saying you are open minded enough to try it yourself?
Heck yeah, why not? Innovation is a good thing. Besides what have I got to loose? I'm not nearly as superstitious about infection. I've brewed dozens of 15gal batches in the past and you wouldn't believe the stuff I did to them at bottling time. Heck, I didn't even know brewing was supposed to be sanitary. I'd overfill a bottle, drink off the top couple oz and then cap it... the list goes on.

The only 2 beers that went bad on me were 1) a bottle that the mechanical washer failed to remove the slug from. and 2) a bottle that the mechanical washer somehow failed to remove a cigarette butt from. BTW, that was the last time I brewed for a friend and lent him my bottles!

I'll put in 4 bottles or so and have someone else swap the beers around so I don't know which is which so that I can do blind tasting.

BoB

Old 08-25-2009, 04:49 AM   #27
oldschool
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

what does he use for a boil kettle? I've seen a bunch of guys that use aluminum kegs(which i'm totally opposed to doing) and where is the best/cheapest place to get your malts?

Old 08-25-2009, 04:59 AM   #28
cimirie
Recipes 

he's got a stainless boil kettle. I know there's a stigma attached to aluminum boil kettles, but I've met enough award-winning homebrewers who only use aluminum, that I've seen the light. I'd rather use stainless I think, but keggles are cheaper and are just as effective. Now if you're against it for moral reasons (as in who actually owns the keg), that's a different debate.

As far as malts go, my local homebrew store has OK prices. Austin Homebrew online is cheaper, but when you add shipping in they come out to roughly the same price unless I ship multiple batches. Look around at your local homebrew stores. grains usually run between 1.25 and 2.00 per pound. Some of the real specialized ones (roasted barley or special B) can be more than that, but not usually.

Old 08-25-2009, 05:05 AM   #29
oldschool
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=

I'll put in 4 bottles or so and have someone else swap the beers around so I don't know which is which so that I can do blind tasting.

BoB[/QUOTE]

If you end up doing this, send me a pm to let me know your findings. you said that you made 15 gallon batches...what do you use to cook them off? where do you get your malts?

Old 08-25-2009, 05:28 AM   #30
oldschool
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=cimirie;1505081]he's got a stainless boil kettle. I know there's a stigma attached to aluminum boil kettles, but I've met enough award-winning homebrewers who only use aluminum, that I've seen the light. I'd rather use stainless I think, but keggles are cheaper and are just as effective. Now if you're against it for moral reasons (as in who actually owns the keg), that's a different debate.

I've read multiple things about cooking in Al not pertaining to beer. but I'm thinking i may have one fab'd up at a local sheet metal shop, or at least have one quoted. my closest homebrew store is an hour away so i'm probably better off just ordering them. the reason i got interested in this is the lower cost of good beer but now i like it for other reasons. so i'm always looking for the best price.