Thoughts on modifying recipes for lower residual protein/gluten? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Thoughts on modifying recipes for lower residual protein/gluten?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2009, 06:52 PM   #1
jcole
Recipes 
 
Sep 2008
Austin, Texas
Posts: 152



I recently discovered that I may have a gluten allergy. I've been investigating the whole gluten-free beer thing with Sorghum and brewed my first batch of 100% gluten-free beer a couple of weeks ago.

That said, I'm not quite ready to give up on the barley so I'm exploring options to reduce the residual protein/gluten in my beer. My current thinking is that I can reduce the wheat/gluten in my diet and still be able to enjoy my homebrew without a big reaction as the beer doesn't seem to be as big of an offender that bread, pasta, and so.

I'd imagine that staying away from wheat in the recipes would be a good start. However, what else could one do? I already regularly use Irish Moss to clear my beers. Would also using a Whirlfoc help?

I do all grain and mash at around 154 degrees. Would mashing at a different temp make a difference?

Any other thoughts?

Thanks,
John
__________________
Planned : Fuller's London Pride Clone
Primary :
Secondary :
Bottled : English Pale Ale

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 02:43 PM   #2
david_42
 
david_42's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2005
Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Posts: 25,597
Liked 155 Times on 145 Posts


Since gluten is a protein polymer, nothing in the brewing process will break it down. The two enzymes active during a protein rest don't cut gluten. Irish Moss/Whilfoc don't remove it either. There is some hope on the horizon for an enzyme derived from Aspergillus niger (not the Beano enzyme), but it hasn't reached the market yet.
__________________
Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 03:48 PM   #3
jcole
Recipes 
 
Sep 2008
Austin, Texas
Posts: 152


Hmm...that's too bad. Thanks for the info David.
__________________
Planned : Fuller's London Pride Clone
Primary :
Secondary :
Bottled : English Pale Ale

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 06:23 PM   #4
sub-zero
Recipes 
 
Jun 2009
Keokuk Iowa
Posts: 400

Hey I have a friend with a gluten allergy also. You think I could get that recipe from you or could you lead me in the rite direction to it? Thanks
__________________
Running down the hallways of life with shoes untied blind fold on and scissors in both hands
===============
===============
In the Bottle--
(1968)Warsaw Pact IPA
Primary--
Socialist Pig Pale Ale
Bullshivit RIS
Big Ivan IIPA
--
BULLSHIVIT BREWING CO.

Just Good Beer And No BULLSHI-VIT!!!!!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 02:11 AM   #5
GrizlyGarou
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
Eastern MA
Posts: 286
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


I've got a friend that either has celiacs or a gluten allergy and she asked me if I could make gluten free beer.

I tried a Redbridge, and it seemed like sourghum could be worked with. I was thinking if you steeped some gluten free oatmeal (you have to be careful, they rotate oats with wheat and the gluten ends up in the soil as well as the equipment; it'll say on the package if it is) it would make it a bit smoother. I'm also thinking about shortening the boil and using a mellower hop like perl for about 25 minutes, then maybe some amarillos for two. The sorghum by itself is pretty bitter, so there's no point in wasting potent hops. Maybe some gypsum would help smooth it out. The sorghum feels kind of like licking a really weak 9-volt battery as it fills your mouth, it definitely needs something to smooth that out!

Honey seems to be popular from the multitude of recipes I've seen, too. I might go for a bit of unfermentable sugars instead, though.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:43 PM   #6
ThirstyDevil
Recipes 
 
Oct 2009
Marietta, GA
Posts: 1

Is anyone aware of any research into exaclty how much gluten makes it into a finished beer? Most of what I've read simply assumes that the gluten makes it through the process without ever measuring it.
__________________
Dan
Marietta, GA

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 10:14 PM   #7
Lcasanova
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Lcasanova's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
Park Ridge, IL
Posts: 980
Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jcole View Post
I recently discovered that I may have a gluten allergy. I've been investigating the whole gluten-free beer thing with Sorghum and brewed my first batch of 100% gluten-free beer a couple of weeks ago.

That said, I'm not quite ready to give up on the barley so I'm exploring options to reduce the residual protein/gluten in my beer. My current thinking is that I can reduce the wheat/gluten in my diet and still be able to enjoy my homebrew without a big reaction as the beer doesn't seem to be as big of an offender that bread, pasta, and so.

I'd imagine that staying away from wheat in the recipes would be a good start. However, what else could one do? I already regularly use Irish Moss to clear my beers. Would also using a Whirlfoc help?

I do all grain and mash at around 154 degrees. Would mashing at a different temp make a difference?

Any other thoughts?

Thanks,
John
Im not Dr. but if you have a confirmed gluten allergy, wouldn't it be best to stay away from it altogether? Like David said, there is an enzyme in the works that reduces the residual gluten in a beer to < 5 PPM which I suppose would be acceptable if you weren't extremely reactive to gluten.

I like using sorghum syrup and I've just started using brown rice syrup with the sorghum syrup. One of these days I'll try one that is all brown rice syrup. There should be a few topics around here in the Gluten Free Brewing forum to help you.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirstyDevil View Post
Is anyone aware of any research into exaclty how much gluten makes it into a finished beer? Most of what I've read simply assumes that the gluten makes it through the process without ever measuring it.

Like I said above, for some people, any amount is too much and they will have a reaction, why take the risk. Drink a beer that is gluten free!
__________________
Lucky 13 Brewing Company
Est. 2009

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 02:43 AM   #8
Brewerforlife
 
Brewerforlife's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
Marquette, MICHIGAN
Posts: 250
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts


To make a 100% gluten free beer you must use a yeast/ and or starter that was grown
in a non-barley malt extract, this includes not only the starter, but the strain you started
with. W-yeast sells #1056 in a gluten-free form also. The only way to make a true 100%
gluten-free beer. Just my 2 cents. Cheers!!!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 05:01 PM   #9
Lcasanova
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Lcasanova's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
Park Ridge, IL
Posts: 980
Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerforlife View Post
To make a 100% gluten free beer you must use a yeast/ and or starter that was grown
in a non-barley malt extract, this includes not only the starter, but the strain you started
with. W-yeast sells #1056 in a gluten-free form also. The only way to make a true 100%
gluten-free beer. Just my 2 cents. Cheers!!!
Did you get a confirmation from them about 1056? I know a few years ago they came out with an Ale and a Lager yeast that were gluten free- they no longer make it though.
__________________
Lucky 13 Brewing Company
Est. 2009

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 07:30 PM   #10
patd
Recipes 
 
Mar 2009
Posts: 59

You will also need to use equipment that hasn't been used to brew standard beer, or you will get cross-contamination.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
modifying recipes castillo Recipes/Ingredients 1 04-12-2009 08:51 PM
Learning how to design recipes-thoughts and critiques? tekhna Recipes/Ingredients 13 02-12-2009 12:25 AM
First Two Batch Recipes (Thoughts Wanted) Jekster Recipes/Ingredients 0 06-26-2007 11:18 PM
GLUTEN FREE recipes at BYOB BREWERY byobbrewery General Beer Discussion 0 05-04-2006 04:46 PM


Forum Jump