Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > FG is high, should I bottle?

Old 08-23-2009, 11:11 AM   #1
Nemleu
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default FG is high, should I bottle?

The short story is I used Nottingham Yeast in my Nut Brown Ale. There are a lot of posts regarding Nottingham, and this lot number was problematic. Anyway, my FG is 1.020, and its been that way for a week. (I started this batch two weeks ago) My FG should be 1.010-1.016.

Should I bottle if not do I just dump it?

Old 08-23-2009, 11:18 AM   #2
Zen_Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Why on earth would you dump it? 1.020 may have just a tad on more sweetness than you planned for, but is certainly very drinkable. What was the starting gravity?

There are several factors that can effect you finished gravity from older or tired yeast, improper yeast pitching rate, more unfermentable sugars than you anticipated, under oxygenating of the wort, to cool a fermentation temp. Regardless of what caused it, 1.020 should be a completely drinkable brew.

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Old 08-23-2009, 11:29 AM   #3
Nemleu
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thank you. My SG was 1.060. From all the posts I've read, it was the Nottingham yeast. Some people have been able to pitch more yeast, but it's not available in my area.

Old 08-23-2009, 11:54 AM   #4
Zen_Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Notty is generally speaking pretty decent yeast. I'mnot familiar with the problematic lot number, but Notty normally would have no problem with a pack used in 1.060 wort. Like I said there may be just a tad more residual sweetness than you planned for, but it should still be yummy. You often find sweetness in some Browns depending on the recipe. You may find out you even like it. Bottle that bad boy and enjoy!

Cheers

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Old 08-23-2009, 12:33 PM   #5
mparmer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I've had an autumn amber ale stuck at 1.02 for a week, (my second batch, a extract kit from Midwest) so I increased the room temp to the upper range of the yeast(70 degrees), pitched another pack of yeast, stirred up the fermenter and now finally I'm seeing bubbles in the airlock. So, I think the problem is solved. Of course, now I'm going to have to wait another week to let the batch finish up and the suspended yeast settle out again before I bottle but at least I'll bet I'll reach my FG now.