Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Irish Car Bomb Stout

Old 08-30-2009, 03:03 AM   #21
ak40kush
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintb22 View Post
Wow I just had this idea last night and didn't even see this post. I brewed 11gal of a rouge chocolate stout clone 3 weeks ago and split it between 3 secondaries. One will be as is, the second has cherry concentrate added to it, and the third will be an Irish Car Bomb Stout. I am thinking about adding 6-8oz of Jameson, 3/4lb of Lactose, and 1oz vanilla extract.

Side Note:
I actually made that Bourbon Porter from NB and it's pretty good. The 16oz of bourbon isn't to powerful but very pronounced. The darker the beer the more booze you can put in it and not have it too over powering. I figured since none of what I am adding is fermentable I would do it at bottling and adjust to taste. I'll be sure to post back how it turns out in about 4 weeks.
you should post some picture so we can see how it turns out. good luck to ya!

Old 12-17-2009, 09:22 PM   #22
chemnitz
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'm coming back to this idea that I've let sit on the back burner for awhile. Since then, I've purchased all-grain equipment. So, here is my new plan. I'm hoping to brew it in a couple weeks, so that it will be available at St. Patty's Day. Please correct me if you think that something would not work or work well.

I've decided that I'm going to try to split the batch. Half will be a regular stout and half will be an Irish Car Bomb stout. This way I can compare the two--I could even drink the first batch as an Irish Car Bomb for educative purposes. I think that all of the necessary flavoring for the Irish Car Bomb can be added at bottling (or maybe in the secondary). So, first I will brew this basic recipe for a 5 gallon batch:

8 lb. Two row
1 lb. Crystal 60
.75 lb. black roasted barley
.25 lb. chocolate malt
2 oz. Williamette @ 60 minutes

Yeast: I'm not sure yet. I have both Nottingham and Wyeast 1728 (Scottish Ale) on hand. Would either of those work?

Stats on the basic stout at 70% eff.:
1.049 OG
37 SRM
37.5 IBU

Then, at bottling time, I would bottle up one case of normal stout. Then, I add my special potion to the remaining half and bottle it. The potion includes:

1 cup whiskey
4 oz. low-fat cocoa powder
1/2 oz. vanilla extract
1/2 lb. lactose

These are soaked in the whiskey for a week or so and then strained through a coffee filter.

So, that's my plan. Please tell me if it seems like a good one. I haven't purchased any ingredients yet, so now is the time to set me right. In particular, do the amounts look reasonable? Would this work at bottling time? Or would it be better to rack half of the batch to secondary with the added ingredients? What yeast is best?

Thanks.

On Deck: American IPA, Märzen
Fermenting: None
In Bottles: Prime Abbey Singel, Vespers Abbey Dubbel, Terce Abbey Tripel, Compline Abbey Quad, Dragon's Tail Barleywine, Boyne Mead

Old 12-17-2009, 10:48 PM   #23
electric_beer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I like it! LOVE carbombs and it would be easy for traveling purposes (I'm thinking SNOWBOARDING!!).

Anyway, tell us how it turns out. I might have to do this instead of the dry stout to use for carbombs.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:57 PM   #24
Cart
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I was thinking Windsor might be a decent bet for the yeast, sweeter finish, and might not have to use as much lactose. Notty should be fine though. Killer idea though!

Old 12-18-2009, 01:10 AM   #25
Rowdy
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

subscribed!

i'm starting a chocolate cream stout a few days after christmas so hurry and get this nailed down !!! lol
i love stout, i love whiskey even more, being able so crack a bottle of the two together
the knot whiskey has more of a caramel/vanilla profile than jamesons and its 100 proof. jus sayin

Old 12-18-2009, 02:47 AM   #26
mitch171
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Now I may be way off, but I am thinking about the proportions of stout, Irish Cream and whiskey in an actual Irish Car Bomb. When I make them it is like 1/4 oz Irish Cream and 3/4 oz whiskey. Now Irish cream also contains whiskey and you don't usually use a full 12 oz to make the bomb. So we are looking at at least 1 oz whiskey per 12 oz of beer.

So that puts us at 50 oz of whiskey for a 5 gal batch. I know that sounds like a lot, but that is how Car Bombs are made. That would be 6 1/4 cups of whiskey. Now I could also find my families recipe for Irish Whiskey and post just what spices and how much are used.

This is very interesting and I like the idea a lot. I just might have to give a go at it.

Old 12-18-2009, 03:01 AM   #27
smmcdermott
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Mitch I think you are way off. I tihnk the key is to get the taste of a carbomb not the amounts of each ingredient correct. If you were going to have the same ingredients, it would be like a cement mixer because it would curdle.

I too am not sure, but I think that is close.

Old 12-18-2009, 03:11 AM   #28
duffman2
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Man oh man. I was ready to do a Double Chocolate Stout this weekend but now I'm seriously perplexed. I wonder if that would be too much for this crazy quest! Anybody think this stout would work?

Old 12-18-2009, 11:41 AM   #29
mitch171
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Why would it curdle? And I think you need that alcohol burn to get the actual taste. Now if you want a car bomb with none of the hurt or alcohol bump then you are right on.

I think it would only curdle if you add fresh milk product to the beer and I doubt that is a good idea. You need the proteins from milk to be present for curdling to happen and I hope you don't have that much protein in your beer. More whiskey = higher ABV many beers would be within this ABV and no ill effects.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:50 PM   #30
shortyjacobs
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Irish cream will curdle right quick, but I doubt it would curdle with the proportions you are describing mitch...

In either case though, I'm with smmcdermot here...If I were to do this, I'd be going for more of a "irish carbomb flavored" beer, not 5 gallons of actual irish carbombs...I guess it depends on what you are shooting for though.

(As of 10-24-2011)
Primary - Steppe 112 PA, 2x Monday RyePA
Aging - None :-(
On tap - Big Dog, Apfelwein, Steppe 112 PA

My invisible AG sculpture, with no actual sculpture and a tiny footprint.
My Kegerator goes offroading!
My Coors Home Draft dispenser for boating/beering on the go.