Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Pale American Malt vs 2 Row Malt

Old 08-23-2009, 12:10 AM   #1
bass-a-roo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Pale American Malt vs 2 Row Malt

i just bought Great Western Malting Company's Pale American malt because the store was all out of regular 2 Row. Will this work okay in something light like Biermuncher's Cream of 3 Crops Ale?

Here's what morebeer says about it (GR-305)"3L Great Western. Same as the Domestic 2-row malt but has slightly more color and a drier flavor. This malt is more like the British Pale Malt."

Couldn't find any info on this yet and was worried because this will be my first AG batch tomorrow. THanks everyone = )

Old 08-23-2009, 01:34 AM   #2
enderwig

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I think your quote from morebeer just about covers it. It is an American base malt, just slightly different than plain old 2row. I would use it without hesitation, just keep in mind, if you make a beer you absolutely love with it, you'll have to go buy more later, because us 2row won't taste quite the same.

Old 11-09-2012, 06:40 AM   #3
jordanelwell
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by enderwig View Post
I think your quote from morebeer just about covers it. It is an American base malt, just slightly different than plain old 2row. I would use it without hesitation, just keep in mind, if you make a beer you absolutely love with it, you'll have to go buy more later, because us 2row won't taste quite the same.
You've struck a nerve with that last thought. One of my favorite homebrews is a 2-row/Chinook SMaSH. I have been meaning to try it with a pale malt instead of plain old 2-row, but it's just so damned delicious with 2-row that I haven't been able to try anything else.