HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - Winners Drawn - 24 Hours to Claim!

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off - Ends Today!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > secondary in primary fermenter

Old 08-22-2009, 05:52 AM   #1
bushmanj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default secondary in primary fermenter

i have 2 primary plastic 6.5 gallon fermentors. i was wondering if i could rack into one of them for secondary? i know the head space in there is not good for oxidation reasons. by pilling the head space with co2 make this work without negative effects?

Old 08-22-2009, 06:04 AM   #2
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Welcome to HBT!

It isn't a problem racking into a container with extra head space. When you rack you will knock the CO2 out of suspension and it will add a blanket of protection over your beer.

On the next post someone will probably mention this so I might as well do it now. Many of us don't use a secondary at all. We leave our beers for a month or so and go directly to bottle. It is a personal choice and either way is good.

Old 08-22-2009, 12:49 PM   #3
marubozo
I can has homebrew?

Recipes 

Liked 5378 Times on 5234 Posts
Likes Given: 223

Yep. Like Nurmey said, unless you need the bucket the beer is in right now for something, plan on letting it age for a few months, or add fruit or dry hop, there probably isn't much of a need to rack it to another bucket.

That doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't and your beer will be fine either way, it's just one extra step and a little more work for you.

Old 08-22-2009, 12:57 PM   #4
Stevorino
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

These guys are right on.

If you are gonna drink your beer within a month or two, oxidation should not be a major concern -- there are much more important things to be worrying about.

Also, on a side note, the plastic buckets are more oxygen-permeable than glass/stainless, so you'll get some oxidation regardless if you let it sit in there long enough.
2. CYBI - Gordon's IPA Clone
3. BCS - Scottish -80
4. BCS - Specialty Saison (Gold Medal at BMO)
In Process:
1. BCS - Janet's Brown Ale (Fermenting)

Old 08-22-2009, 04:15 PM   #5
pretzelb
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevorino View Post
If you are gonna drink your beer within a month or two, oxidation should not be a major concern -- there are much more important things to be worrying about.
I haven't heard this before. Do you mean a month or two after bottling? Can you explain why oxidation is more of an issue if the beer sits in bottle longer?

Old 08-22-2009, 05:47 PM   #6
Nurmey
I love making Beer

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Oxidized beer takes a while to get that wet cardboard/oxidized taste. If you think you oxidized your beer it's better to drink it sooner.

It would however take a really long time (many many months) to have a beer oxidize in a pail unless you are shaking the crap out of it after fermentation.

Old 08-22-2009, 07:50 PM   #7
pretzelb
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurmey View Post
Oxidized beer takes a while to get that wet cardboard/oxidized taste. If you think you oxidized your beer it's better to drink it sooner.

It would however take a really long time (many many months) to have a beer oxidize in a pail unless you are shaking the crap out of it after fermentation.
Oh, I didn't know that. So it's a taste that gets worse over time. Good to know.

Old 08-23-2009, 06:57 PM   #8
bushmanj
Recipes 

thanks for the tips guys! so there is no problem dry hopping in primary? should i wait until the month passes before i dry hop? is there a proper time to do it?