Lemongrass Rye

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c0bra

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Wyeast American Ale 1056
Yeast Starter
2000ml
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
12.8 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Strong lemony aroma and flavor that gives way to warm maltiness and balanced hops
Specialty Grains

1.00 lb Flaked Rye (2.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
0.25 lb Crystal Rye (310.0 SRM)
5.00 oz Lemongrass

Steep for 60 minutes.

Fermentables

6.00 lb Pilsner Liquid Malt Extract (3.5 SRM) (Northern Brewer Pilsener)
1.00 lb Light Dry Malt Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract

Hops / Etc

1.00 oz Simcoe Hops [13.00 %] (60 min) 33.2 IBU
5.00 oz Lemongrass (60 min)
0.50 oz Hallertauer Hops [4.80 %] (15 min) 3.0 IBU
0.50 oz Hallertauer Hops [4.80 %] (2 min) 0.5 IBU

Yeast

Wyeast American Ale #1056, prepared from smack pack in 2 liter starter 48 hours before brewing.

I used around 10 oz of lemongrass total, 5 in the steep and 5 in the boil, cleaned and chopped up a bit so they'd fit in the grain bag; though actually I just put the boil lemongrass in loose, and they made it into the primary. I had to go to Whole Foods to get them, as I can only irregularly find them at the cheaper grocery store. It took 3 packages for me but as you may very well have another provider try to measure by weight.

I found that the rye becomes super gummy so you'll have some difficulty cleaning out the grain/hop bag if you use a reusable one.

Right now this beer is a little over 3 weeks old in bottles and is very quaffable. The lemon flavor and aroma is distinct and foremost when cold, but as it warms up there's some great maltiness and the hops come out. I imagine it will only get better after a couple months.

This was a conversion from a friend's all-grain recipe so I'll probably try the original at some point.

Edit: I think the original lemongrass amounts were a carry-over from the old recipe and weren't the actual amount used. I've updated the recipe to reflect this.

sounds really tasty. i'd be interested in the AG recipe as well. I'm assuming you used fresh lemongrass instead of dried?

sounds really tasty. i'd be interested in the AG recipe as well. I'm assuming you used fresh lemongrass instead of dried?

Yep fresh lemongrass. Here is the AG recipe I adapted this from (I'd give proper attribution but I don't think the creators post around here):

Rosie's Riveting Rye

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 10.00 gal
Boil Size: 12.55 gal
Estimated OG: 1.061 SG
Estimated Color: 6.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 27.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
14 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 58.33 %
6 lbs Rye, Flaked (2.0 SRM) Grain 25.00 %
4 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 16.67 %
1.00 oz Simcoe [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 21.0 IBU
1.50 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] (15 min) Hops 6.0 IBU
1.00 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] (2 min) Hops 0.7 IBU
8.00 oz Lemongrass (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
8.00 oz Lemongrass (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 24.00 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Full Body, No Mash Out
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
45 min Mash In Add 7.50 gal of water at 170.5 F 158.0 F

I am actually gearing up to do some mini-batch experimentation on this recipe, with grain ratios and lemongrass preparation, and also probably some changes in hop-type too.

No ETA on that but I want to do it soon, like before the end of January 2010.

Interesting. I have been kicking around an idea for Elysian Mysteries Rye Ale. I am thinking of substituting pomegranate powder for the lemon grass. Any thoughts?

This turned out pretty darn good, I only could find 3oz of lemongrass and added a little honey, and finaly after 20 or so batches this is the first one my wife actually enjoyed.

Back