I brewed my first pumpkin ale yesterday. I used Jamil's recipe from the book "Brewing Classic Styles". I pretty much followed his recipe. I did add 87 ounces of canned pumpkin(baked at 350 for 60 minutes) and 1.5 lbs. of rice hulls to prevent a stuck sparge. Well, I still got a stuck sparge.
It got stuck after my 2nd sparge. Had to use the paint strainer method. I ended up getting 2 gallons from the paint strainer method. I wasn't sure how my efficiency would be, but I ended up getting 71%. Also ended up high on my volume....a bit over 6 gallons.
I also had problems holding my mash temp for 90 minutes. Even though I had some problems I did not panic(been there and have done that and the beer still came out good). This is a far cry from 4 moths ago when I did my first all-grain and worried about my beer. In the end it works out more often then not.
Here are some pics.
Draining mash tun
Into the carboy
Fermenting 14 hours after pitching yeast.