to bottle or not to bottle... - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > to bottle or not to bottle...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2009, 05:35 AM   #1
Recompense
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
Boston
Posts: 13


...That is the question.

So... still new to this. I brewed an IPA on 7/28 (my second brew) with an og of 1.051. I checked it on 8/12 and it was a 1.020...a little high. I gave it a couple swirls and later that night it was a krausening and everything. A happy camper I was.

(full disclosure, 2-row roasted barley, 6.6 lbs LME, 3 lbs DME, lots of armarillo, muntons gold pack dry yeast)

Now, it's 8/18 (ok, 8/19) and it's read 1.015 for two days now and I was excited to bottle tomorrow.... until I noticed bubbles-a-rumblin in the air lock.

So, I leave for a 3 week trip on thursday and I was hoping to have this bottled and ready for me when I get back...do I bottle or do I not bottle if it reads 1.015 tomorrow? IF it dips to 1.014 do I bottle away? thoughts?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 05:46 AM   #2
Poindexter
 
Poindexter's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2007
interior Alaska
Posts: 1,195
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts


Another three weeks on the yeast cake won't hurt it and might help it.

Even if you leave it for three weeks while away, then leave it on dry hops for two more weeks there will be plenty of yeast left in suspension for it to carb right up.

Do you really have time to brew another batch and get something else into primary before you leave? You can probably get away with bottling it and not having bombs, but if your primary isn't going to be busy, better to wait.

My pipeline is at 45 gallons, so I would have no problem leaving it.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 05:46 AM   #3
nallanrex
Recipes 
 
Jun 2008
Winnipeg, MB, CA
Posts: 132

The bubbles in the air lock are probably just off gassing(co2 coming out of solution.)

If it did drop a gravity point I personally would leave it. Bottle bombs scare me. But I may just be anal.



-Nick
__________________
"I live and breathe beer. I stopped breathing oxygen back in '95." - Trev

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 06:21 AM   #4
double_e5
 
double_e5's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2008
Kansas City
Posts: 900
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


If the gravity is the same tomorrow, you will be safe to bottle. If it drops, leave it alone.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 06:26 AM   #5
Recompense
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
Boston
Posts: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poindexter View Post
Another three weeks on the yeast cake won't hurt it and might help it.

Even if you leave it for three weeks while away, then leave it on dry hops for two more weeks there will be plenty of yeast left in suspension for it to carb right up.

Do you really have time to brew another batch and get something else into primary before you leave? You can probably get away with bottling it and not having bombs, but if your primary isn't going to be busy, better to wait.

My pipeline is at 45 gallons, so I would have no problem leaving it.
I guess that's the thing... I can get another in primary and I dont have 45 gallons in my pipeline...I'm bone dry and hoping to get this one ready for when I get back.

As far as dry hopping, do I lose anything with a 4 week dry hop?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 06:39 AM   #6
double_e5
 
double_e5's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2008
Kansas City
Posts: 900
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


I wouldn't dry hop for 4 weeks. I have never experienced it, but many people claim they get grassy flavors from dry hopping longer than 2 weeks. I usually go for a week because IMO you don't gain anything from dry hopping longer than that.

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Better Bottle or plastic water cooler bottle? Crash Equipment/Sanitation 14 04-29-2010 01:06 AM
Bottle Tree/Sulfiter/Bottle Cleaner--$25 agroff383 For Sale 3 10-19-2009 09:08 PM
Exchanging a Argon bottle for a Nitrogen bottle BrewBeemer Equipment/Sanitation 1 05-30-2009 03:19 PM
Bottle in the Miller Lite 16oz Al bottle/can things beesy General Beer Discussion 5 03-30-2009 08:18 PM
Can you transfer from bottle to bottle w/o losing carbonation? Thor Bottling/Kegging 2 02-20-2006 12:54 PM


Forum Jump