Never buy a car from a friend - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Never buy a car from a friend

Old 08-19-2009, 05:05 AM   #1
TXCrash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2005
Crazytown
Liked 3363 Times on 3241 Posts

So...

Bought a car from a friend (87 subaru gl wagon). I wanted a wagon, they had a wagon, represented it as a well running, good condition car which needed some work. I didn't scruitinize the car as much as I should have. Instincts told me no, but I trusted the f*ckers. Wife wanted a wagon for a beach trip, so I jumped on it. Car damn near stranded me a whole 4 blocks from my house. Maybe the timing's screwed up (I need to borrow a timing gun from my parental unit) but still... Once I really got to looking at the car I saw issues that should have been disclosed by a friend. If I'd bought the car from anyone else - I would have seen same issues, but a friend should disclose same.

Either he's a piss poor mechanic or a cheat. Neither is good - especially since I KNOW he replaced the timing belt. I also recieved the bill of sale they recieved from the previous owner. They bought the car for 1/3 of what I paid - not a huge issue if the car was as represented.

I should know better by now to NEVER ignore my instincts. They're always right. From the big fight with my father (long story) to this, every time I've ignored by instincts I've gotten F*ked.

Original friend is the wife of the guy that sold me the car. She's a mechanical dipsh*t, he seems like a good guy but there's always been something about him I don't like.

I owe another payment - but I'm starting to think what they've recieved already is more than the POS car is worth. Bastard.

I really don't wanna loose a friend over this. She's a friend of my wife as well as mine (she's a former coworker - she shares a hobby interest with my wife - there's NO sexual tension because she's so far from my type and I'm apparently the same). This F*n sucks. If I'd bought the car from a stranger, well - shame on me. I bought the car from a freind. SHame on us both.

NEVER BUY A CAR FROM A FRIEND

P.S. - EVery time I see the "yes we've seen it" thread I think "Gosh - I don't think I've posted a picture of "it" (the big one - or is that little one?)online"

Whooooo - lots of rum followed by pbr followed by warm mirror pond pale.. tomorro will be fun!

Wife is now gone for a week... I'm outta money and outta homebrew.. damnit

Old 08-19-2009, 05:46 AM   #2
TXCrash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2005
Crazytown

Since this is my thread.

I'm watching "Tank Girl" (would be aweful sober)

"Just think of the first time you got laid" "Daddy - are you sure this is right?"

That's all kinds of farked up

Old 08-19-2009, 06:20 AM   #3
MikeFlynn74

Recipes 

Nov 2007
ANCHORAGE!!
Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

damnit I need to see Tank girl again
Originally Posted by Tenchiro View Post
The successful have nobody to blame but themselves, I really wish they would take some responsibility for their own actions...

Old 08-19-2009, 06:35 AM   #4
carbon111

Recipes 

May 2009
Pacific NW
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

A great low budget indie film!

I think a good 60% was shot in a parking garage.
My website: http://www.carbon111.com

Fermenting: Carbon's Grizzly Bear, Young's Special London Ale (clone)

Bottled/Conditioning:Siberian Raven Winter Ale, Cherry Tree Porter, Victoria's Dirty Secret

Drinking: Montgomery Scottish Ale, Thames American Bitter, Crow's Beak Old Ale, Bastet Brown, Carbon's Cascade Ale, Red Silo Honey IPA

Old 08-19-2009, 09:00 AM   #5
TXCrash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2005
Crazytown

Passed out before I finished the movie. Looks like I'll have to on demand or something it - guess that means I'll have to drink heavily again tomorrow - darn!

I get to "really" be up at 5.30 - not sure why I woke up.

In other news I have 200# of blackberries and 24# of blueberries int he spare freezer that's taking it's sweet farking time cooling down.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:59 AM   #6
Evets

Recipes 

Jan 2006
Lancaster County, Pa.
Liked 239 Times on 107 Posts

Never SELL a car to a friend.

See original post.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:00 PM   #7
Baja_Brewer

Recipes 

Jun 2008
Rhode Island
Liked 138 Times on 107 Posts

Park it through his window/garage door/ on his porch and tell him he can keep your money AND have the car back.

Old 08-19-2009, 01:39 PM   #8
TXCrash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2005
Crazytown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evets View Post
Never SELL a car to a friend.

See original post.
Yup. Meant to say that too but obviously I was feeling pretty good when I wrote that. I've refused to sell cars to friends because of this - wish I'd went with my gut on this one.

Old 08-19-2009, 02:20 PM   #9
wildwest450
Recipes 

Dec 2007
Liked 173 Times on 158 Posts

I'm confused. You say you bought it form a friend. Wouldn't you now the condition of the car? I'm in my friends cars all the time, and I know how they treat them. I know I would buy any car one friend sells and would steer clear of my other friends cars.

Old 08-19-2009, 02:28 PM   #10
BioBeing

Recipes 

Jan 2009
Memphis, TN
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

What kind of friend sells their friend a car for 3 x what they paid? That is all kind of wrong right there, never mind the condition.