Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Mold Problem in Kegerator

Old 08-21-2009, 05:59 AM   #11
Arneba28
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Calcium chloride is a form of salt it will not go into vapor.All Rid damp is calcium chloride at 1000 times the price. You can also buy calcium chloride at most concrete places or at least they can order it as its used an accelerant to cure concrete.
Brilliant!! I was thinking about that. I tried baking soda. Just got all gooey.

Old 08-21-2009, 06:14 AM   #12
shek
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Calcium chloride is a form of salt it will not go into vapor.All Rid damp is calcium chloride at 1000 times the price. You can also buy calcium chloride at most concrete places or at least they can order it as its used an accelerant to cure concrete.
Would it be worth it to try to use food grade calcium chloride if I also use it as a brewing salt? And then after I dry it I can pull a little out for my next brew.

Old 08-21-2009, 01:30 PM   #13
Munsoned
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shek View Post
Would it be worth it to try to use food grade calcium chloride if I also use it as a brewing salt? And then after I dry it I can pull a little out for my next brew.
Personally, I'd be concerned about any other contaminants that the Calcium Chloride would pick up along the way. Yes, you'd roast/boil off any bugs, but I'm thinking more like odors from the kegerator/oven, etc. The stuff is cheap enough, I'd just keep it separate. Just my $0.02. Others may disagree...

Old 08-21-2009, 02:05 PM   #14
springer

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts

Calcium chloride is great for removing water vapor from the air thats why I leave the 50lb bag inside a homer bucket . If I didn't it would turn into a damp 50lb block

Old 05-11-2010, 08:15 PM   #15
Stevorino
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I thought it looked like calcium chloride! Ha! Time to just buy that from now on!
2. CYBI - Gordon's IPA Clone
3. BCS - Scottish -80
4. BCS - Specialty Saison (Gold Medal at BMO)
In Process:
1. BCS - Janet's Brown Ale (Fermenting)

Old 05-11-2010, 08:50 PM   #16
whale
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think you need to figure out the main cause of this problem.
where is the moisture comming from. I dont know what kind of keggrator you have but maybe your seal is bad.
fridge has a cooling plate that collect moisture then there should be a drain that goes to a pan on top of the condensor. the heat of the condensor evapolates the water.
is your drain plugged up?

Old 05-11-2010, 09:44 PM   #17
schmagy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Bleach is also not a good choice for mold control. It does not kill the spores, and the high water content of the mixture promotes growth... there are so many mold spores in the air that sanitation is a loosing battle. the only real way to control mold is Lack of food combined with removing moisture.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:22 PM   #18
mikefromcu
Recipes 

I've read numerous sources that 3:2 vinegar to water is effective at killing mold.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:47 AM   #19
944play
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 56

What's a good temperature to dry out wet CaCl2? I tried 300F, but it just turned into a puddle of bubbling molten slag and made a mess of the oven.