Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Taking the Plunge

Old 06-22-2005, 11:21 PM   #1
SwAMi75
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Taking the Plunge

Well, after much waffling, I ordered this: http://www.homebrewadventures.com/sh...ct_Code=MA-016

I decided I wanted 10 gallon capacity so I can do my 1.070+ beers with ease. I'd originally intended to build my own, but after pricing out all the equipment, I decided I couldn't really do much better than this. The only thing I really don't like are the spigots, but I can swap those out with stainless pretty cheaply in the future. A SS false bottom would be nice, too, but this will work and is a pretty good deal, IMO. I ordered it Monday night, and it's sitting on my front porch as I type.

If all goes according to plan, ORRELSE and I will be doing my first AG batch Saturday afternoon. His guidance will be valuable, as he's already done a few AG batches on his own. Otherwise, I'd be lost. We're going to do this ESB kit for simplicity's sake.

I'm taking another plunge as well.....more on that in the Bottling/Kegging forum.

I'm stoked!!!

Gone unsung for far too long

Old 06-22-2005, 11:35 PM   #2
BitterRat
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam75
Well, after much waffling, I ordered this: http://www.homebrewadventures.com/sh...ct_Code=MA-016

I decided I wanted 10 gallon capacity so I can do my 1.070+ beers with ease. I'd originally intended to build my own, but after pricing out all the equipment, I decided I couldn't really do much better than this. The only thing I really don't like are the spigots, but I can swap those out with stainless pretty cheaply in the future. A SS false bottom would be nice, too, but this will work and is a pretty good deal, IMO. I ordered it Monday night, and it's sitting on my front porch as I type.

If all goes according to plan, ORRELSE and I will be doing my first AG batch Saturday afternoon. His guidance will be valuable, as he's already done a few AG batches on his own. Otherwise, I'd be lost. We're going to do this ESB kit for simplicity's sake.

I'm taking another plunge as well.....more on that to follow.

I'm stoked!!!
Cool Sam!! You'll be amazed how easy it is. but time consuming!! But well worth it too!! There's a lot of good brewers bith here and at the other place, so ask questions as they come up!! Esb is a good choice btw, good luck!!

Old 06-23-2005, 12:10 AM   #3
SwAMi75

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks man! Luckily I've seen it done once, and ORRELSE will be around to guide my dumb ass. It should go OK.

Really, my main concern is getting my boil volume right for a 5 gallon batch. But, whatever. Like I said before....I'll ferment it and I'm pretty sure it'll come out beer.

Old 06-23-2005, 12:58 AM   #4
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam75
Really, my main concern is getting my boil volume right for a 5 gallon batch. But, whatever. Like I said before....I'll ferment it and I'm pretty sure it'll come out beer.

Yeah...I'm going to do a study on that, or find a study on that....that last time we brewed at your place....what day was it? We only lost like 2 quarts or some sick figure like that.....

When I brewed last time I lost a 1 1/4 gallon in 90 minutes. Humidity makes a huge damn difference!

I think Promash figures boil volume.....hmmmm.....
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 06-23-2005, 02:14 AM   #5
sudsmonkey

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORRELSE
Yeah...I'm going to do a study on that, or find a study on that....that last time we brewed at your place....what day was it? We only lost like 2 quarts or some sick figure like that.....

When I brewed last time I lost a 1 1/4 gallon in 90 minutes. Humidity makes a huge damn difference!

I think Promash figures boil volume.....hmmmm.....

I've always heard that it isn't the heat, but the humidity that gets you. Good luck , guys !

S.Monkey

Old 06-23-2005, 03:56 AM   #6
Born Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Good luck Sam! I finished building my 3 tier system (10 gallon igoos) today and have all the grain cracked for an Irish Red Ale. It's my first go at all grain, scheduled to fire the burners tomorrow (Thurs 6/23) at 9:00am. Having never done it before my concern is a stuck mash or screwed up lautering. I just hope I can get 5 gallons in the fermentor with a decent efficiency. I'll post how it goes. I wish I had Orrelse here to walk me through it!

Primary :empty
Secondary : empty
KEG: empty

May your beer never be empty, and a roof always over your head, and when your day comes, may you get to heaven before the devil knows your dead.

Old 06-23-2005, 11:22 AM   #7
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Brewing Co.
I wish I had Orrelse here to walk me through it!

LOL....Now that's some funny stuff!!!
I'm only on my 3rd AG batch and I find something I could correct EVERY TIME. I wish Janx was around because he can always suggest improvements and stuff. On brew day there is a crapload of stuff to remember, that's for sure.
I know the first time I did it (even after a few problems/surprises) I sat back and realized just how easy it is. Its more waiting around than anything. Pick up Sam Calgione's book and relax during the mash.
I can't wait til my keggle gets here, I wanna brew!!!!!!!!
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 06-23-2005, 02:05 PM   #8
andre the giant

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

My advise is, don't worry too much. I still consider myself to be an all-grain newbie, but I've brewed 12 AG batches. I'm always forgetting something. In my last batch, I forgot the Irish Moss. Not a big deal. In other brews, I found myself mashing at too high a temperature, so I ended up with beer that was a bit sweeter. I've found that the Mash is pretty forgiving. I've put the boil hops in too early and ended up with beer that was nice and bitter. In the end, everything has ended up tasting like beer. Good beer.

Congrats on taking the next step. I think you will really like the results.
Batch #59-Kolsch (Secondary)
Batch #60-Blueberry Ale (Primary)

Old 06-23-2005, 07:20 PM   #9
Born Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

All seemed to go well! I started right at 9am and clean up was done at 2pm. Tincture of iodine showed conversion at about 45 minutes into mash. Mash temp stayed constant at 154. My copper sparge sprinkler that I made seem to shower the grain nicely. After a few quarts of run off to clear wort I mashed out, at the same time opened the valve on the HTL and sparged as the mash ran out. 6 gallons went into the Kettle, ended up with exactly 5 gallons after boil. I measured my OG after chilling and in was 1.042, the goal was 1.050. I guess it's decent efficiency for first AG, I'm not sure what I could have done different.

Will I ever go back to extract kits? Hard to say. When time permits I think I will do AG. I enjoyed the AG experience, but it is a larger time commitment. I teach middle school, so I have more time in the summer and my wife and kids were gone today so I didn't have any interuptions. All seemed to go well, the real factor will be how it tastes.

Primary :empty
Secondary : empty
KEG: empty

May your beer never be empty, and a roof always over your head, and when your day comes, may you get to heaven before the devil knows your dead.

Old 06-23-2005, 08:17 PM   #10
SwAMi75

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Brewing Co.
All seemed to go well! I started right at 9am and clean up was done at 2pm. Tincture of iodine showed conversion at about 45 minutes into mash. Mash temp stayed constant at 154. My copper sparge sprinkler that I made seem to shower the grain nicely. After a few quarts of run off to clear wort I mashed out, at the same time opened the valve on the HTL and sparged as the mash ran out. 6 gallons went into the Kettle, ended up with exactly 5 gallons after boil. I measured my OG after chilling and in was 1.042, the goal was 1.050. I guess it's decent efficiency for first AG, I'm not sure what I could have done different.

Will I ever go back to extract kits? Hard to say. When time permits I think I will do AG. I enjoyed the AG experience, but it is a larger time commitment. I teach middle school, so I have more time in the summer and my wife and kids were gone today so I didn't have any interuptions. All seemed to go well, the real factor will be how it tastes.
Awesome, congrats man! Sounds like you made pretty good time. I'm like you....I'll probably still do some extracts when my schedule is tight and I want to brew. We're set to start around 4PM Saturday. I have a feeling it's going to be a long day.