Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Fruit Beer > Extract - Succulent Strawberry Blonde

Old 03-02-2010, 02:55 AM   #11
DJherman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I cant find the extra pale LME, could i use Northern Brewer Organic Light Malt Syrup instead? Im fairly new to home brewing so forgive the newbie question.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:00 PM   #12
skydog4884
Recipes 

I am trying this recipe out right now. I modded it a little just because of what i had on hand.

I steeped 8 oz of briess 2 row pale ale malt

6 lbs of dried golden light ME
1.5 lbs of bavarian wheat

my OG was 1.061.
After 4 days my gravity was at 1.029 and I added 7 lbs of dole sliced frozen strawberries. 5 days after (March 1st) that it was at 1.014 so i moved it to a secondary to clear a little. I will probably leave it there for another week or so then move it to a keg. we will see what happens with this method of fruit addition. Any comments on my method let me know. i will put some more feedback on how it tastes.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:55 PM   #13
crypt0
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well My beer is getting there. about 10 days in the keg so carbonation is happening. I woudl say its pretty good. I made some mistakes that I would advise against:

- I used breiss light LME instead of a extra light thinking it was close enough.
- I used Wyeast american pale ale 1056 yeast instead of the american ale II 1272, thinking it was close enough.

The result is a beer that looks like a PA. When you bring the glass to your mouth you detect the strawberries right away - it smells great. The strawberries are on the bitter side though.

Also, it seems this beer is taking a while to clear. I would brew it agian, but maybe use the gelatin technique to aid in clearing.

Overall though, not bad. Anything I didn't like is my own fault

Old 03-23-2010, 05:58 PM   #14
WildGingerBrewing
I wish I was Randar
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2121 Times on 2063 Posts
Likes Given: 10

So how did this turn out? I really like Pete's Strawberry Blonde and was wanting to brew a nice strawberry for the summer. This one sounds good.

Old 04-10-2010, 07:05 PM   #15
Turisops
Recipes 

Default My blonde is under way...

Looking good so far..had to use White labs California V WLP051 due to LHBS not carrying Wyeast. Wow that yeast is a slow starter.

OG at about 1.056'ish so far so good. Maybe its just a newbie thing but had a hell of a time getting a consistent OG reading because I sample from the bottom spigot first (as one would expect it was high, lots of solids settling out) then i tried to just pour in to a pint glass from the bucket hoping it would just mix well and give me a good average. but wow it was settling out real fast and again it would stratify in the graduated cylinder. Still not real confident i even got a good representative reading, but oh well i did it twice and made sure i shaked the sample and let the bubbles settle out for about 30 seconds and i got a consistent reading.

Got 2 boxes of fresh strawberries at Costco 4.99 for 4 lbs so got those cut up in the freezer..
Should be fun Cheers all

Old 04-10-2010, 10:19 PM   #16
jimmywit
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Do you think I can add the straberries right into the fermenter after 7 days, and then rack off into a secondary in another week?

Old 04-12-2010, 05:20 PM   #17
crypt0
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have to say after his beer has aged out a bit more the strawberry flavor has really mellowed nicely into the beer. Every bottle seems to get better.

Old 04-12-2010, 05:29 PM   #18
jgln
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 3

So where are the succulents? The Cacti? The Cactus?

Old 05-01-2010, 08:22 PM   #19
WildGingerBrewing
I wish I was Randar

Recipes 

Brewed this today, cooling it down now. Had to make a few changes due to "out of stock" issues. I used 7 lbs of Pale LME in lieu of extra light and used Safale S-05 in lieu of Wyeast 1272. Can't wait to try this beer! Thanks for the recipe. I'll update later.
Ginger and I agree on something? - Randar

Old 05-10-2010, 12:03 PM   #20
WildGingerBrewing
I wish I was Randar

Recipes 

Racked onto 8 lbs of frozen strawberries yesterday! I added the strawberries to the bucket before racking the beer. Good thing I went with a 6.5 gal bucket AND added the beer after the fruit. I didn't think about the increased volume. Now my question is, for anyone that has brewed this, how much of the beer are the strawberries going to absorb? When I rack into terttiary this coming weekend, how much can expect to actually transfer? I typically get 48-54 bottles out of 5 gal brew. Kind of wondering if this will be more like 40-46. Will strawberries suck up that much liquid?

Ginger and I agree on something? - Randar