To pitch, or not to pitch. Yep, that's my question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pezman1

Reaction score
I have a Red Ale wort cooling at the moment. However, my Wyeast smack-pack (Am Ale II) hasn't inflated that I can tell 7 hours post smacking. The Yeast has a June date, but may have gotten hot during shipping. Should I :

1. Pitch it and hope for the best

2. Let the wort sit overnight and go get another Smack Pak from my LHBS as soon as they open in the AM.

3. Both one and two.

4. Something different altogether
Any and all appreciated! Pez.

Well, I went ahead and pitched the smack pack even though it didn't show signs of swelling after around 8 hours. I figured that it had to be sterile in there except for the yeast.

Haven't decided if I'm going to go to the LHBS and add another pack to the wort. They open at 10:00 in the morning, but it is slightly over an hour round trip. hmmmm.....

Of course this happens on my very first brew!:drunk:

Give a couple days then. They yeasy will likely pick up speed eventually. check the SG in a couple of days and if no change then repitch, OR just get another smack pack of teh same yeast and add it to be sure.

Get another smack pack. One according to what i've read is under pitching anyways, so I'd say throw another one in.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm kind of leaning towards just repitching in the AM to be sure. Luckily my LHBS has the same strain. Pez.

Back