Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > J.W. Lees Harvest Ale Clone

Old 08-14-2009, 03:40 AM   #1
doggage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default J.W. Lees Harvest Ale Clone

Does anyone have an all-grain recipe for this barleywine from J.W. Lees? From what I've been able to find, it's only Maris Otter grain and Kent Golding hops.

Old 08-14-2009, 01:03 PM   #2
Oldsock
Recipes 

Liked 234 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 152

I did something along those lines a few years back and it turned out well.

Use enough MO to get to 1.120 (hopefully you have a big kettle, because you want to do a long sparge and boil down for 3-4 hours). You might even try boiling down below your target volume (this will encourage Maillard reactions) then top back up after the boil.

I would aim for 50-60 IBUs for the EKG added with ~60 minutes left in the boil. This will take a pretty large amount because you have such a high gravity.

For yeast I tried to culture some from one of their lower ABV beers, but the starter didn't smell great so I pitched my back-up Windsor. Whatever you use look for low attenuation since you don't have any cara-malt to give residual sweetness.

I also added a bit of French Oak during secondary.

Hope that helps, good luck.

Old 08-15-2009, 07:22 PM   #3
doggage
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks for the advice. I have a keggle, so I should be able to do this.

On the hops, I'm not sure how much to add. I don't have any software yet. Any idea about how many ounces?

I might just end up using the Windsor too, if yours turned out well. I'm really excited to see how this will turn out. Such a simple beer but the idea of bottle conditioning for a year or so and cracking these open is really appealing.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:03 PM   #4
Oldsock
Recipes 

Liked 234 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 152

QBrew is free and pretty good until you decide to drop the $20 for ProMash or Beersmith.

In this case you need ~4.5-5.0 oz of 5% AA EKG pellets at 60 minutes to get 50-60 IBUs in a 1.120 beer.