Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Frozen Keg

Old 08-14-2009, 02:07 AM   #1
Brutus Brewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Frozen Keg

I had a keg freeze up and I don't know how it happened. In the fridge are 2 kegs and the other one is fine, but this one was frozen on the inside. I have a thermometer in the fridge and it was reading 38 degrees, but it has never been calibrated. I've had this setup for 5 months now and this is the first keg out of 5 that have been in there. Anyone ever have this happen? Would cold co2 contribute to this as I have the co2 tank in the fridge with the kegs.

Old 08-14-2009, 02:19 AM   #2
Oaky
Recipes 

usually freezing for most craft ales is 28/29.. lower if you have more alcohol.
was the keg mostly empty?

Old 08-14-2009, 11:40 AM   #3
Brutus Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

It was probably a little less than half full.

Old 08-14-2009, 06:23 PM   #4
springer

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts

what type of fridge . I have a fridge that has a large metal plate in the back flush with plastic liner this is the fridges cooling system If I put bottles or a keg to close or touching it they freeze.

Old 08-14-2009, 06:35 PM   #5
Brutus Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

It's a basic Whirlpool upright, nothing fancy. The keg was near the front of the fridge. I am going to get a new thermometer and monitor the temp over the weekend.

I notice you don't use a secondary. Do you go straight to a keg? Do you use any fining agents?

Old 08-14-2009, 07:06 PM   #6
springer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus Brewer View Post
It's a basic Whirlpool upright, nothing fancy. The keg was near the front of the fridge. I am going to get a new thermometer and monitor the temp over the weekend.

I notice you don't use a secondary. Do you go straight to a keg? Do you use any fining agents?
Very rarely do i use anything other than Irish moss or Whirlflock. Just a long primary 3 -4 weeks then cold crash then keg. I did use gelatin on one beer because I was going to enter a comp.But I had friends over and we kicked the last of the keg I should have bottled before we started drinking

Is the fridge a compact or reg fridge ? I use a an upright freezer for my keggerator right now and had to move the temp probe to the bottom of it . I had it in the middle was set at 38 and my beer lines froze.Bottom was well below freezing temps. I also have a bettery operated fan that I use in my travel trailer fridge to move the air around a little. Rechargable batteries are great.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:13 PM   #7
Brutus Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

It's a standard size fridge with no external temp control. I will give the fan a try, good idea.

I would like get away from the secondary, if I am reading your post correctly you crash cool in the primary. I will have to try that.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:17 PM   #8
springer

Recipes 

yes in the primary. I have racked to keg then cold crash when I ran out room and was itching to brew just makes for an extra cloudy first few pints.

Old 08-15-2009, 12:03 AM   #9
bendavanza
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

+1 on the fan. Your temp sensor may be above the bottom, and you can have stratification in a fridge with no air circulation, so the probe may be at 38 but the beer in the bottom is way colder. I've also had a frozen beer line once.