Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > HBT R/C Pilots check in

Old 08-13-2009, 06:39 PM   #1
caspio
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default HBT R/C Pilots check in

For the first time in over 5 years, I dusted off the RC equipment and went flying last night. During college I was too poor, and lately brewing has been sucking away all the hobby $$. Anyway, forgot how much of a blast it is to fly. I know I've seen other people post before, so who all on here flies R/C?

Last night I just got out the foamie wing. I also have a thermal glider and gas trainer, but those are a bit more of a pain since i'd have to find a bigger space to fly.

Also, if anyone wants to lend me their expertise or point me towards an HBT equivalent RC forum, that'd be great. The old nimh packs I used to use for the wing are pretty much shot. Right before I quit flying I upgraded to a brushless motor and ESC. I didn't go lipo because they were pretty much brand new at the time and super expensive, but the ESC is compatible. If i'm going to have to buy new batteries anyway, I might as well get a charger and go lipo now that they're not quite as spendy. I don't have any idea though what specs i'd be looking for on the pack or what the best online vendor is.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:19 PM   #2
gp125racer
Recipes 

My first passion is R/C stuff, but the homebrew makes the time out in the garage just that much more enjoyable

RCGroups.com is an awesome site for rc stuff. What kinda pack are you looking for, I have at least one 3s 2200mah pack I could give you to get you hooked on the power they make compared to the old batts.

Don

Primary #1: Empty
Primary #2: Jim Rossi Honey Pale Ale
Next Up: Researching....

Old 08-13-2009, 09:03 PM   #3
Ice9
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I haven't flown in about 4 years. I was pretty deep into before I bought my first house.
I need to go fly again. I bought one of those little E-flight blade helicopters last fall to satisfy my RC urges. I second the RCGroups forums. Great bunch of people over there.

I had just gotten into nano edf jets before I got my house. Those little things are a blast!

Here are a few pics.
firs tone is a full-house pattern plane that was built from a kit designed by one of the members of RCGroups.com. THe second one is a couple of home made blucor foam planes and the third is a F4D-1 Skyray nano edf kit.
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_0396.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	12445   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_0401.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	12446   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_0402.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	12447  
On Deck: Gumballhead clone, German Pilsner
Drinking: Old Ale, Bourbon Barrel Wee Heavy, Bourbon Barrel RIS

Old 08-13-2009, 10:42 PM   #4
caspio
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gp125racer View Post
What kinda pack are you looking for, I have at least one 3s 2200mah pack I could give you to get you hooked on the power they make compared to the old batts.

Don
That's part of the problem. Because LiPos were still so expensive when I last flew, I never really researched them. Now I'm interested, but I don't even know where to start.

The foam wing I have is a Zagi 400x. The stock speed 400 motor was replaced with an AstroFlite .020 brushless, and the ESC was swapped out for a castle creations phoenix 25. I've been emailing with the folks at castle, and they said that the esc should be lipo compatible, but it's old enough they're recommending I send it in and for $25 they'll swap it with a brand new one that's running the latest software.

The spec sheet for the phoenix 25 says it can do lipos up to 3s when bec is enabled. I don't really even know what the 3s means.

Edit: stock zagi battery packs are 1700mah Nimh's at (I think) 9.6v

Old 08-13-2009, 11:16 PM   #5
Ice9
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

3S stands for 3 3.7V lipo cells wired in series.

Here are some rough specs for that motor and different props.

Expected Performance with 5.5 x 4 MAS prop

Battery Amps Watts Rpm
2 Lithium 14 amps 110 watts 17,300 rpm
8 Nicads 17 amps 154 watts 19,200 rpm
3 Lithium 23 amps 259 watts 22,400 rpm
10 Nicads 26 amps 312 watts 23,500 rpm

Expected Performance with 6 x 4 APC-E Prop

Battery Amps Watts Rpm
2 Lithium 17 amps 136 watts 15,900 rpm
8 Nicads 21 amps 187 watts 17,500 rpm
3 Lithium 27 amps 304 watts 19,600 rpm

The combo highlighted in red is probably what I would try.
Weigh one of your current battery packs and then substitute
a 3s lipo of similar weight so that you can obtain proper cg easily.

Something like this would probably do the trick.
Hobbycity Online R/C Hobby Store : ZIPPY Flightmax 3000mAh 3S1P 20C $19.75

Quote:
Originally Posted by caspio View Post
The spec sheet for the phoenix 25 says it can do lipos up to 3s when bec is enabled. I don't really even know what the 3s means.

Edit: stock zagi battery packs are 1700mah Nimh's at (I think) 9.6v
On Deck: Gumballhead clone, German Pilsner
Drinking: Old Ale, Bourbon Barrel Wee Heavy, Bourbon Barrel RIS

Old 08-13-2009, 11:25 PM   #6
M@!
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a Typhoon that has been collecting dust for a while. I moved to TX two years ago and haven't flown since I have been here. Maybe it's time for me to dust off the sucker or maybe I will start off with my Easy Star to remember how to fly.

Old 08-14-2009, 05:21 AM   #7
caspio
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice9 View Post
Weigh one of your current battery packs and then substitute
a 3s lipo of similar weight so that you can obtain proper cg easily.

Something like this would probably do the trick.
Hobbycity Online R/C Hobby Store : ZIPPY Flightmax 3000mAh 3S1P 20C $19.75
Man, these packs are so much cheaper than when they first came around. Thanks for all the info. I actually am currently balancing too far forward, even with the pack all the way at the back of the tray. A pack that's a little lighter would definitely help things out. Any recommendations for chargers? The setup I have now is Nimh/NiCd only.

edit: zomg 3000 mAh. With the state my packs are currently in, I'm lucky if I'm seeing 1000 mAh. I really do need to upgrade to lipo.

Here's the beast
ignore the wrinkles and other battle damage, she's had a rough life

I can't find my original receipt, so I have no idea what prop that is. Numbers on the prop say 5x5.4 (pitch?) and 5540 (model no, or just pitch again?)