Looking for a turkey fryer - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Looking for a turkey fryer

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2009, 11:57 PM   #1
Irish1225
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
LaGrange, IL
Posts: 130
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts



Hello everyone, long time no see!

I'm looking to finally get a turkey fryer so I can do all-grain batches larger than 2 gallons on my stove.

I'd like to get a pot somewhere from 32-40 quarts - good size you think? I'd like to do batches somewhere between 6-8 gallons and think a 40qt pot would offer enough headroom to prevent boil overs for an 8 gallon batch...

Also, is Bayou Classic the company to go with? I did a quick search and most of the threads I found were in regards to Bayou.

And lastly, is it feasible to plan to spend about $100 on a 32-40 qt pot and decent propane heater?

Thanks in advance everyone!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 12:07 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,763
Liked 8031 Times on 5610 Posts


I paid around $50 for mine- a turkey fryer set up with a decent burner and a 32 QT pot. The pot is a bit small, since I like to start with 6.5 gallons and boil down to 5.5, but if I'm very careful I don't get any boilovers. If you're planning on anything bigger than a 5 gallon batch, the 32 quart pot would be too small. A 40 quart pot might be fine for slightly bigger batches.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:29 AM   #3
Synovia
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Chicago, Il
Posts: 1,330
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts


I'm using a 34 qt, and I'm of the opinion its borderline for 5g batches. If I was going to spend the cash again, I'd buy a 60/80qt one. That way you never have to buy a pot again.


I bought a 20qt one when I started in december, bought the 34 quart in june, and may replace it with something bigger in the next couple of months.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:33 AM   #4
hammer one
 
hammer one's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2008
Posts: 292

Pick up a sanke keg and convert it. you'll never need another boil pot....EVER...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 03:51 AM   #5
nebben
 
nebben's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2008
Now legal in Utah
Posts: 1,145
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts


As far as a step up from indoor stovetop brewing, my turkey fryer with ~7G pot was worth every penny. Sure, it might not be able to make the jump to 10G, but it was $55 . I'm out on the patio, and packing 5G of beer into bottles when everything is all done. Brewing has improved greatly for me with it

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 01:57 AM   #6
Irish1225
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
LaGrange, IL
Posts: 130
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Alright, so rethinking, I'm looking at this kit

Amazon.com: Bayou Classic 3066A 30-Quart Outdoor Turkey Fryer Kit: Home & Garden

Seems decent enough, and there are actually some reviews from homebrewers.

I did more thinking and I'd like to start kegging in the next few months, too. So I figured I wouldn't necessarily need batches larger than 5 gallons to start kegging, so a 30qt pot should be adequate.

Good decision?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 11:12 AM   #7
HomebrewJeff
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Lincoln Park, MI
Posts: 299
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish1225 View Post
Alright, so rethinking, I'm looking at this kit

Amazon.com: Bayou Classic 3066A 30-Quart Outdoor Turkey Fryer Kit: Home & Garden

Seems decent enough, and there are actually some reviews from homebrewers.

I did more thinking and I'd like to start kegging in the next few months, too. So I figured I wouldn't necessarily need batches larger than 5 gallons to start kegging, so a 30qt pot should be adequate.

Good decision?
What I don't like about the burner is that top lip that extends above the kettle. You would probably have to make some modifications if you wanted to use a larger pot.

For what it's worth, the 3 turkey fryers I have I paid less than 30$ each at a store. I think they were on clearance... they included a 32qt alum pot and stand. Well worth it.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 12:36 PM   #8
jeffmeh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
jeffmeh's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2009
Posts: 2,160
Liked 211 Times on 181 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by HomebrewJeff View Post
What I don't like about the burner is that top lip that extends above the kettle. You would probably have to make some modifications if you wanted to use a larger pot.

For what it's worth, the 3 turkey fryers I have I paid less than 30$ each at a store. I think they were on clearance... they included a 32qt alum pot and stand. Well worth it.
I have that same unit and it also takes my 60-gal aluminum pot just fine. It rests on the circular band. When full of water, it is not going anywhere.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:48 PM   #9
camiller
Recipes 
 
Apr 2007
Omaha, NE
Posts: 1,905
Liked 33 Times on 33 Posts


When I moved from stovetop to outside I started with two turkey fryers purchased new outside of turkey frying season for $10 each. They included 30qt (7.5 gallon) aluminum pots. I recently received a birthday gift of a 60qt aluminum pot from Sam's Club that retails for $45.88 before shipping.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:49 PM   #10
camiller
Recipes 
 
Apr 2007
Omaha, NE
Posts: 1,905
Liked 33 Times on 33 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmeh View Post
I have that same unit and it also takes my 60-gal aluminum pot just fine. It rests on the circular band. When full of water, it is not going anywhere.
60-gal I assume you meant 60 qt?

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Used Turkey Fryer? AngryPenguin Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 7 05-28-2008 12:27 AM
bad turkey fryer bklebel Equipment/Sanitation 11 05-12-2007 04:43 PM
54k btu Turkey Fryer bpcsatx Equipment/Sanitation 4 05-12-2007 03:22 AM
The other use for a turkey fryer Cheesefood Equipment/Sanitation 8 02-20-2007 05:54 AM
turkey fryer beeramedic Equipment/Sanitation 32 09-10-2006 04:41 PM


Forum Jump