Pumpkin beers: Discussion, developing recipes, tips tricks, and a good practices - Page 22 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Pumpkin beers: Discussion, developing recipes, tips tricks, and a good practices

Old 07-23-2010, 10:56 PM   #211
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Apr 2009
☼ Clearwater, FL ☼
Liked 6824 Times on 4035 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLem View Post
... so that was my way of saying "Are you sure?"...
No, I'm not sure. But I'm pretty sure.

I regurgitate a lot of what I've learned on these here interwebs. I might have misunderstood good information I found, and I might be repeating bad information. As with everything else you read on this forum, or others, you will need to find multiple sources supporting an idea in order to have any confidence in its veracity. Wikipedia is a good place to start.

[edit] And, in fact, you have me wondering now. It's such an easy thing to test. If only I didn't have so many kids, wives, jobs...

Old 07-24-2010, 01:45 AM   #212
JLem

Recipes 

Jan 2009
Attleboro, MA
Liked 178 Times on 154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
[edit] And, in fact, you have me wondering now. It's such an easy thing to test. If only I didn't have so many kids, wives, jobs...
I should point out that I have no sources to back me up in my thinking - just seemed logical to me and I had never heard of problems with too hot a temp. I know that this is argument from ignorance, but it's all I've got at the moment! I'm off to post the question in the Science forum

sorry everyone for hijacking this thread a bit...

My Beer Cellar

Old 07-24-2010, 02:59 AM   #213
Abadeon
Recipes 

May 2010
Brazil, Curitiba

Ivan aproves this thread!

Old 07-30-2010, 08:47 PM   #214
Biscostew
Recipes 

Jun 2010
Annandale, NJ
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Has anyone had a hard time finding pumpkin for their beers this year? Several supermarkets in my area have told me they haven't had pumpkin for several months due to a pumpkin shortage or bad crop from last year. I looked on amazon and they do not have the large cans of Libby's Pumpkin either and they do not know when they will be back in stock.

I had to bite the bullet and get two 15oz cans of Organic Pumpkin from some farm in Oregon for 3.50 each. Argh!! This is the same kind they are selling on amazon in bulk for I believe 2.65 a can. Does anyone know a better place to buy pumpkin besides the local farm I wanna get some of my pumpkin beers rolling in the next few weeks and Im not sure if local pumpkins will be ready by mid August.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:59 PM   #215
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2009
Lucid Dream Land
Liked 131 Times on 107 Posts

To answer your question about where to find some....the answer is no there is none. Due to the reasons already explained to you there is no pumpkin besides the high $$ organic stuff.

Old 08-01-2010, 01:30 AM   #216
HokieBrewer
Recipes 

Sep 2008
Greensboro, NC
Liked 33 Times on 30 Posts

Answers the questions i had at the store this morning too. Hence the creation of the sweet potato pie beer!

Old 08-01-2010, 03:02 PM   #217
Abadeon
Recipes 

May 2010
Brazil, Curitiba

At here we have some pumpkins, but there´s not like the ones that you guys have in the USA. I´ve miscalculated the amount I was going to use in my recipe, so, right now, I´m baking the sweet potato and crushing the grains.

Old 08-01-2010, 03:07 PM   #218
buzzkill
Recipes 

Feb 2009
Green Country Oklahoma
Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts

I picked up 4 extra cans of Libbys Pumpkin last year for this very reason. hard to find out of season.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:27 AM   #219
corbomite
Recipes 

Feb 2010
spanish fort, al
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

...22 effing pages later I've decided to make a pumpkin pie porter without the pumpkin. It seems like people who have used pumpkin say they liked it, but those that have gone without it have the same things to say. I am going to make a lighter version of the punkin porter recipe from extreme brewing by Sam Calagion without the pumpkin. The spices seem to make up the beer, hope it turns out well.

natefrog255 Likes This 
Old 08-04-2010, 12:53 PM   #220
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Dec 2007
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
Liked 148 Times on 120 Posts

I am not sure if anyone ever chimed in about the effect of the decoction on the sparge ease....

DO IT!@!#*^&%$^#^%(@!!!!! Holy cow does it make a huge difference in the ease of sparging through that goop.

Decoct for sure.