Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Pumpkin beers: Discussion, developing recipes, tips tricks, and a good practices

Old 08-31-2009, 03:47 PM   #131
juvinious
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 4 Posts

Gathering info from various recipes, I think I'm settling on this (brewmasters warehouse brew builder is very useful). Here is the recipe: Pumpkin Spice Ale // Brewmasters Warehouse.

What do you think?

Bottled: Pyment | Strawberry Melomel

Old 08-31-2009, 06:32 PM   #132
slimer

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Good Recipe, but I find that Northern Brewer is a harsh hop. Personally, I'd go with a Mt. Hood.

Old 08-31-2009, 09:26 PM   #133
14thstreet
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

On Sunday I bottled my "pumpkin spice" beer (see post #18 in this thread) that included just spices and no pumpkin. I hopped my batch with a single 20-something IBU charge of Cascade at 60 minutes and added my spice blend at 1 minute. I believe the wort sat for about 15 minutes before it got access to a chiller. Safe to say that I observed no spice presence at all at bottling time, the fermentation probably having scrubbed it all away.

I added 3/4th of the following to a 2.75 gallon batch: 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp ginger, 1/8 tsp allspice, 1/8 tsp nutmeg.

Anticipating this on brew day, I steeped another blend in 2oz of rum to add to taste at bottling. Ended up adding the full strained 2oz and can say that there's just enough presence and not overbearing. My original ground spices probably were not fresh enough to get that expected punch.

I picked up a sixer of Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale and found that too much spice/pumpkin for my tastes, enough so to put my mind off of making another "pumpkin" or spiced beer, methinks.
On Deck: Hefeweizen

Old 08-31-2009, 10:34 PM   #134
Doog_Si_Reeb
Beer is Good. And stuff!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thstreet View Post
I picked up a sixer of Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale and found that too much spice/pumpkin for my tastes, enough so to put my mind off of making another "pumpkin" or spiced beer, methinks.
I've tasted some great microbrew and homebrew pumpkin beers. However, I didn't like Buffalo Bill's at all. I am planning to brew a batch in the next few weeks and I hope that it comes out like the good ones I've tasted and not like the Buffalo Bill's that I've had.

If I remember correctly, Michelob made a pumpkin spice beer last year that I liked more than BB's.

Primary: BohPils3
Kegged: Vienna Lager, Mánagarmr Stout, Ratatoskr IIPA, Cider
Bottled: Yule Gruit

Old 08-31-2009, 11:57 PM   #135
14thstreet
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm on your side Doog. BB's is worse than anything I've made or bought. I can't remember if I've had hometown Lakefront Brewery's Pumpkin Lager, but I bet that's 100x better than what I still have in the fridge.
On Deck: Hefeweizen

Old 09-01-2009, 05:12 PM   #136
craigbrew
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

My buddy and I just made a batch each of Pumpkin beer. His was a kit from LHBS and mine was Thunderstruck pumpkin ale (some where on this site). My wife, my buddy and I love the Pumpkin ale at our local micro brewery (Kuhnhenns in Warren MI.) and Michigan brewing Co.'s Screaming Pumpkin Spiced Ale.

I will actually wait to bottle this beer around mid October.

Kuhnhenn Guild of Brewers homebrew club (KGB)

Old 09-01-2009, 09:15 PM   #137
tomwirsing
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My pumpkin went down to 1.006 from 1.050 with California Ale yeast for some reason. As soon as I took the reading I threw the carboys in the fridge to stop fermentation.

My plan is to keep them cold and add some lactose to get the body and sweetness back where I want it. I'll put 8 ounces in each. My question is about boiling. I know priming sugars are typically boiled before adding for sanitation and to break them down into more readily fermentable sugars. Will boiling the lactose break it down into fermentables?

This issue will also help me wait until it's more seasonal so the yeast can do a little extra clean up. Otherwise I'd probably be kegging tonight, shake carbing, and plow through the 10 gallons (minus substantial trub losses) before All Hallows Eve even gets here.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:22 PM   #138
jgln
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I did one. It came out ok, think I put in too many spices but after 9-12 months aging it wasn't bad. I guess for all the extra fuss and slow, slow sparge I guess I don't really see the point much except a use for the extra pumpkins in the garden. I may do another but maybe not, I can't really taste anything that says "pumpkin" when I drink it except the spices but that is "pumpkin pie". I bet with just the spices you could pass off one as pumpkin beer and few would be able to tell there was no pumpkin in it. Am I wrong?

Old 09-01-2009, 09:54 PM   #139
Couevas

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwirsing View Post
My plan is to keep them cold and add some lactose to get the body and sweetness back where I want it. I'll put 8 ounces in each.
I hope you have tasted or are going to taste it before you add any Lactose. I have read too many tales of un-drinkable batches due to liberal additions of Lactose. That stuff is powerful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwirsing View Post
My question is about boiling. I know priming sugars are typically boiled before adding for sanitation and to break them down into more readily fermentable sugars. Will boiling the lactose break it down into fermentables?
No, boiling the lactose with a little water will not make it fermentable, and needs to be done in order to be sanitized.
"No soldier can fight unless he is properly fed on beef and beer."
"Make sure that the beer - four pints a week - goes to the troops under fire before any of the parties in the rear get a drop."
-Winston Churchill----brilliant man

Old 09-04-2009, 05:20 PM   #140
NoVa
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just started fooling around with beertools and tried to incorporate a lot of great recipes on here. I'm not sure how much spice I should add to this recipe and this is my first time building a recipe. Here it goes:

Pumpkin
14-C Imperial IPA

Size: 10.0 gal
Efficiency: 70.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%

Original Gravity: 1.083 (1.070 - 1.090)
Terminal Gravity: 1.021 (1.010 - 1.020)
Color: 18.11 (8.0 - 15.0)
Alcohol: 8.2% (7.5% - 10.0%)
Bitterness: 35.6 (60.0 - 120.0)

Ingredients:
22.0 lb American 2-row Pale