Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Another one bites the dust...

Old 08-11-2009, 01:37 PM   #1
TheMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 24 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 339 Times on 251 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Another one bites the dust...

Last night, while prepping to bottle, the situation follows...I grabbed a wet carboy (glass) from my swamp bucket. lost grip on it, tried to catch it while at the same time slipping and ended up lying on my back in a pool of glass and blood...I laid there for a few seconds contemplating my next move. Got up, stepped on glass, grabbed towels and bed sheets to prevent beer from spreading on the floor. What a night. It is not even close to cleaned up, I couldn't call in sick to work, so here I am.

No life threatening injuries, but many small cuts on my hand and foot. A fairly large one on the bottom of my foot. My hand now has 4 bandaids as new cuts seem to be opening up as the day progresses. Fingertips...ouch. My place smells of beer and has blood on the walls...5 gallons is a lot to clean up. Don't know what I learned from this, but I feel fortunate not to have needed a hospital visit like others have.

I mourn the loss of my beer...

Old 08-11-2009, 01:40 PM   #2
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3028 Times on 2934 Posts
Likes Given: 149

Glad to hear there was no major injury. Finger tip cuts. That sucks!!
These are popping up more and more it seems. I think the Porter fermenting right now may be my last Glass Primary. I'll keep my 5G for apfelwein because it nevers noves excpet when empty to clean. BB I think i need you!

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo's mom

Old 08-11-2009, 01:44 PM   #3
TheMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Yeah, i had decided a bit ago that I wasn't keen on glass carboys...but decided to use them since my brother has about 11 of them ready to use. I think I'm just going to stick to buckets. I don't secondary a lot so they will work fine.

Old 08-11-2009, 01:47 PM   #5
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 347 Times on 246 Posts
Likes Given: 268

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMan View Post
Yeah, i had decided a bit ago that I wasn't keen on glass carboys...but decided to use them since my brother has about 11 of them ready to use. I think I'm just going to stick to buckets. I don't secondary a lot so they will work fine.

Even for a secondary, buckets work fine.

Old 08-11-2009, 01:49 PM   #6
Sigafoos
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yeah, I think my glass carboys are only going to be for long-term aging (westy 12, mead, etc). I can't really justify switching to all plastic but I've mostly cut out secondary in favor of longer primarying, so the two buckets I have should be plenty.

I wrote 'I mourn the loss of my beer' in my beer notebook after my hefe blew out a lot... makes me think you're me from the future, in which case, crap. I don't want to get injured

CBW website | Twitter | Facebook | HBT thread

Niagara Association of Homebrewers ex-President
Live in or around Buffalo? Join NAH for fun and excitement!

[1:47pm] chefmike: and dont listen to sigafoos!
[1:47pm] Sigafoos: that's generally good advice

Old 08-11-2009, 01:59 PM   #7
TheMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I'm very fortunate compared to other stories I've read. Some people end up severing tendons...So I can deal with cuts all over for the moment.

Old 08-11-2009, 02:02 PM   #8
Pete08
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I like my carboy, but keep it in a milk crate when I'm handling it, especially when full.

Enola Gay--Far East Tour Summer '45--Coming to Your Town, Limited Engagement--Get Your Seats Now!!--They'll Be Gone in a Flash!!

Old 08-11-2009, 02:03 PM   #9
Dogslife
Recipes 

Wow that is a really bad experience.
I have had a glass carboy hit the concrete too. I thought that was bad, but I never got hurt.
Only my heart at the loss of a good beer.

I hope you heal quickly,
Dog

Old 08-11-2009, 02:10 PM   #10
Austinhomebrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 91

With a bad back and bad knees (surgery on both knees) I decided to put the carboy in one place and never move it. I built a small stand with wheel. tall enough to siphon to a bucket below. I fill it on the stand and let it ferment on the stand and siphon from it on the stand. Never move a full carboy again.

Forrest