Severe overcarbonation: will it get better, or worse? - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Severe overcarbonation: will it get better, or worse?

Old 09-07-2006, 08:14 AM   #11
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2005
West Kelowna BC, Canada
Liked 67 Times on 53 Posts

That's wher ebottling in PET comes in handy, you can chill, then slowly untwist the cap till foam comes out then retwist and repeat. Plus they don't explode!

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/denn...9/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Tapro...ook_Repository

Old 09-07-2006, 02:12 PM   #12
DAAB
Recipes 

Dec 2005
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

You can do a similar thing with a Grolsche bottle but these things were so overcarbonated I did this over a period of a month with no noticable improvement.

Old 06-19-2016, 09:02 PM   #13
razyrsharpe
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2007
Lugoff, SC
Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts

i had problems with overcarbing all my big beers. on the last batch, an imperial red, i decided i didn't want to dump the batch. i tried a low-tech solution that worked! SLIGHTLY pry each cap just enough to relieve the pressure, let sit for 30 minutes to an hour or so (there will be foam that runs down the sides - don't worry) then recap tightly when foaming has stopped. wait a couple weeks and viola! it saved two cases of beer for me and didn't cost a thing.

Old 06-19-2016, 10:04 PM   #14
Murphys_Law
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Apr 2015
Liked 137 Times on 80 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by razyrsharpe View Post
i had problems with overcarbing all my big beers. on the last batch, an imperial red, i decided i didn't want to dump the batch. i tried a low-tech solution that worked! SLIGHTLY pry each cap just enough to relieve the pressure, let sit for 30 minutes to an hour or so (there will be foam that runs down the sides - don't worry) then recap tightly when foaming has stopped. wait a couple weeks and viola! it saved two cases of beer for me and didn't cost a thing.

I've done that once with success. Saved a good batch of raspberry stout.

(Wear safety glasses, long sleeves, and gloves!)