"Brewing Classic Style" by Jamil and John - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > "Brewing Classic Style" by Jamil and John

Old 08-09-2009, 11:21 PM   #1
KayaBrew
Recipes 

Nov 2008
Jay, Adirondack Mountains, NY
Liked 202 Times on 157 Posts

I just got this book, and the recipes look great, but I have a question:
When I entered 2 of the recipes into BeerTools Pro, all of the specs were way off compared to what Jamil has listed. The Color, IBU, OG and FG are higher on BTP than in the book.

Anybody know what gives?

I had to adjust the amounts of Crystal 40L and 120L in an Irish Red recipe so the color fell into the BJCP guidelines. BTW, I am brewing with all grains, not extract.

Old 08-09-2009, 11:23 PM   #2
Rick500

Recipes 

Jun 2008
KY
Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts

The recipes are for 6 gallons.

Which recipes did you enter?

Old 08-09-2009, 11:23 PM   #3
SavageSteve

Recipes 

Sep 2007
Connecticut
Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Their recipes are for 6 gallons, so perhaps you need to adjust your batch size.

-Steve
Planning: n/a

Old 08-09-2009, 11:27 PM   #4
KayaBrew
Recipes 

Nov 2008
Jay, Adirondack Mountains, NY
Liked 202 Times on 157 Posts

Ahh...six gallons! Thanks for the info gents! I've entered the Irish Red ale, and the American Amber ale into BTP so far. A friend is giving me a bunch of freshly harvested Cascades next month that I plan on tossing into the Amber to fresh hop it.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:20 PM   #5
Budzu

Recipes 

Mar 2009
Chattanooga, TN
Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

Here's another thing you need to do to brew those recipes:

If you'll notice when you throw in all-grain malts instead of the extract recipes, the percentages are off from the original recipe.

The best way I've found to work them is to enter them all as is (I use Beersmith) with jamil's efficiency (70% I believe) and his all-grain substitutions as a 6 gallon batch (with no kettle loss calculations) then convert to your own efficiency, THEN tweak the grain bill until the percentages of each malt match up, watching your planned OG. I've done a recipe or two from that book with both this method and the method of just entering his amounts (rather than percentages) and I'm pretty confident that the percentage balancing is the way to go.

Cheers!

Old 08-12-2009, 04:55 PM   #6
sleepystevenson

Recipes 

Oct 2007
North Western PA
Liked 13 Times on 7 Posts

I am with you Budzu. Percentage is the way to fly.

The percentage of grainbill is one of my only gripes with that book. (percentages are for extract + speciality grains - NOT all grain) Every recipe I have done out of it has been great, though!

What I do, is add up the total grain weight, using the all grain option, then recalculate the percentages of total grain bill for all grain, and write them in beside the extract percentages in the book. Makes it easy for me to scale it any which way in beersmith, and for future reference.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:20 PM   #7
BeerPressure
Recipes 

May 2008
Dunkirk, NY
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I really love this book.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:50 AM   #8
Edcculus

Recipes 

Jun 2007
Greenville, SC
Liked 48 Times on 45 Posts

I don't have it in front of me, but all the specs should be listed. Make sure you have the batch size and efficiency correct. He also uses the Rager formula to calculate hops. Beersmith defaults to Tinseth, so make sure to change that in the settings.

Old 08-13-2009, 05:55 AM   #9
jamilz
Recipes 

Jul 2008
Elk Grove, California
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Page 39, the section titled Brewing These Recipes has all the specifics.

Old 08-13-2009, 06:00 PM   #10
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2008
Dublin (No, not that Dublin)
Liked 271 Times on 209 Posts

Boy, a lot of posts in the last few days from jamilz. Assuming he is the real Jamil, and not that Facebook imposter we've heard about, it's good to have him here. I'm wondering if the I Am A Homebrewer video "controversy" made him remember he had an account here?!?!

If it is really you, and not that skunk faced liar, then welcome back. I really enjoy the BN shows oh, and I like the book as well!