Portland Maine Breweries?? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Portland Maine Breweries??

Old 08-09-2009, 05:02 PM   #1
jldc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2008
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I am going to be in Portland Maine for a few days next week and I'm thinking of visiting one of the several microbreweries there. I visited the Anheuser Busch plant in St Louis when I was a kid, but I haven't been to a brewery since i started brewing almost a year ago.

Has anybody been to one of the Portland breweries and can tell me which one has the best tours (or the best beer)? Or is it just a waste of time altogether?

Thanks

Old 08-09-2009, 08:58 PM   #2
Professor Frink

Recipes 

Sep 2006
San Diego, CA
Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts

I've never been to the breweries there, but you can try Geary's, Shipyard, and Allagash.
On tap:Amber Ale
Milk Stout

Lagering:

http://www.lazydogbrewery.com

Old 08-10-2009, 12:07 AM   #3
Beerrific

Recipes 

Mar 2007
Georgia
Liked 55 Times on 47 Posts

I am a big fan of the Allagash tour. One of the better brewery tours I have been on. There is a nice tasting before and you can buy beer there that can be hard to find elsewhere. If you take the Allagash tour, I don't think you will be disappointed.

Old 08-11-2009, 02:50 AM   #4
becksbolero2
Recipes 

Jul 2008

sea dog brewery, in south portland
great blueberry beer (which you can also get at trader joes)

Old 08-11-2009, 01:57 PM   #5
broadbill
Recipes 

Aug 2007
Southern Maine
Liked 534 Times on 361 Posts

Shipyard brewery is the big game in town, their old port brewery has tours but you don't see anything other than a video and do a tasting. I'm not sure Gritty's does a tour, but you should def. check out their bar in old port and/or freeport. Sebago brewing is another but I'm not sure they do tours either. Finally, Allagash is the place to check out a tour, although I haven't been on one myself.

Also...hit up Great Lost Bear for a great selection of Maine brews! Can't miss kind of place.

Have fun! This time of year is a great time to come out and visit us!