Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > using medical oxygen to aerate

Old 08-09-2009, 12:32 AM   #1
jereme
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default using medical oxygen to aerate

in doing research to start my first batch i came across a gentleman called "bobbyj" or something like that who seems to have his ****down when it comes to brewing. his videos are on youtube. one thing he had shown to do, which he said was not necessary, but he does anyway to help the yeast along is run 100% medical grade oxygen into the bottom of his primary fermenter for about a minute or two to aerate his wort. i'm just kinda looking for comments on this subject to find out more about it and if more advanced brewers use this process.
thanks

Old 08-09-2009, 12:38 AM   #2
Vuarra
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 18

No reason why you couldn't... but I don't have a supply of medical grade oxygen, nor the cash to afford such.

Besides, air is ~21% oxygen as it is... I make sure my funnel splashes well when I take my wort from the boiling pot to the carboy / demijohn.

Fermenting: Real Ale, Extract Lager (with WLP830), India Pale Ale

Conditioning: Nothing

Drinking: Pale Ale from the keg

Old 08-09-2009, 01:16 AM   #3
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 103 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Well I guess I'm an advanced brewer as I am 64 years old.
Aerating wort prior to fermentation is good.
You can do this by splashing the wort around, shaking the carboy/bucket, using an aquarium pump, or adding oxygen.
Using oxygen is the fastest way to do it, but most who do this use welding grade O2 rather than medical grade.
I've never heard of any problems using the welding grade O2 (or C02), both of which I use regularly.

-a.

Old 08-09-2009, 01:32 AM   #4
StoutFan
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Running the welding grade O2 through the stone and filter works great, and it's cheap. I have gotten 6-7 batches out of 1 bottle. Fairly cost efficient.

Gambrinous - to be full of beer

Old 08-10-2009, 08:54 PM   #5
AirRageous
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoutFan View Post
Running the welding grade O2 through the stone and filter works great, and it's cheap. I have gotten 6-7 batches out of 1 bottle. Fairly cost efficient.
A few months ago I was given 7 full medical O2 bottles and a regulator. I have used it on the last 5 batches with a fish aquarium aeration stone. It is working great. Just run it on a low setting for a minute or so. Make sure you sanitize the stone and tubing. After 5 batches we have barely used any O2 from the first tank.

My Theme Song: "I Like Beer"

Old 08-10-2009, 09:17 PM   #6
HenryHill
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Since refilling requires an Rx script, using it if you have it is great, but getting it refilled is expensive and requires the script. There are hundreds of used O2 cylinders available at any time on e-bay and CL, but even if you get it cheap, it is still only a temporary set-up.

O2 from Home Depot is about 8 bucks, get two so you aren't stranded when the first one dies. I got the Oxynator from Ed at Brew Masters Warehouse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
This is HBT of course. Normal Thread that goes every direction but the one intended. This forum should be scientific proof the beer causes ADD

Old 08-10-2009, 10:33 PM   #7
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1300 Times on 854 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I think the OP is talking about me. In any case, I was given the medical tank for free so that's obviously what I use. I've used it for 2 years now and it still has gas. When it runs out, I'll sell the tank and reg if I can't get the local airgas joint to refill it for me.
TonyBBQ Likes This 
Old 08-11-2009, 01:53 AM   #8
coffeegod
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Join your local rescue squad then you can refill for free... I am a paramedic, I have been using 4 lpm for five minutes and have really noticed a difference

Old 08-11-2009, 08:40 PM   #9
AirRageous
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Hill View Post
Since refilling requires an Rx script, using it if you have it is great, but getting it refilled is expensive and requires the script. There are hundreds of used O2 cylinders available at any time on e-bay and CL, but even if you get it cheap, it is still only a temporary set-up.
Well, I got 7 full tanks so that should last long after the cirrhosis of the liver has taken me out.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:33 PM   #10
wild
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I'm about to run out of my 10# medical O2 and plan to swap out to a comparable welding O2 tank. I also have 2 5# medical tanks all with regs to swap to a 5# mixed gas, and 5# Nitro.

3. Robust Porter
  4. Russian Imperial Stout
  5. Mirror Pond Clone dry hopped with Citra
  6. Mirror Pond Clone dry hopped with Centennial
Primary - Nada
Secondary -
From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world. -- Saint Arnoldus