Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kettles, Mash Tuns, & Hot Liquor Tanks > Countertop Brutus 20

Old 12-11-2011, 08:17 PM   #521
dragonlor20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarp View Post
I followed Bargain Fittings's directions for bulkhead assembly (no exterior washers).

On the water heater element, I simply used it as it comes (black rubber washer installed), and on the inside used the 1" o-ring and locknut kit.
Thanks a lot. Getting the nut on order today and should have the kettle finished this week!

Old 12-14-2011, 12:26 AM   #522
dragonlor20
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Jkarp, one more thing: I cannot find appliance cord with a standard plug that will handle a 120V 2000W load. Which one did you purchase from Home Depot?? The cables all have non-standard plugs...

Old 12-14-2011, 01:54 AM   #523
jkarp
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonlor20 View Post
Jkarp, one more thing: I cannot find appliance cord with a standard plug that will handle a 120V 2000W load. Which one did you purchase from Home Depot?? The cables all have non-standard plugs...
Talk to your IT guys at work. I guarantee you they've got boxes of 20A power cords laying around. Failing that, Lowes / HD should carry 6 foot 14/3 extension cords. Just hack the female end off.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:29 PM   #524
spook
Recipes 

I found a 2 pack of outlet strips with 14/3 cords on them for like $6 at lowes. Bonus that I pulled the 110v switches out for later reuse. Buying the wire by the foot was far not expensive without even counting buying the male plug.

Old 12-14-2011, 05:05 PM   #525
jlachesk
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
Jeff,

Thanks for the guide and personal attention to this long-running thread. I know you posted a "typical" brew day in a post many moons ago, but could you give a couple of recipe examples and walk through the process step-by-step? Folks new to brewing (like myself) would benefit, especially as we learn how to scale 5 gallon recipes down to 3 or 3.5 gallons.

I was inspired to put a system together based on your design and am very happy with it so far, but have only used it twice (once for an extract recipe and once for an all grain recipe). The latter was a challenge because I jumped the gun and bought the ingredients for a 5 gallon recipe (milled and mixed at the local store), so couldn't easily cut it down. Worked out pretty well anyway, I just had to add water as the boil proceeded to avoid over-filling my boiler/kettle.

Here are a few picks of my system:
Oracle, this has probably been asked before, but how is that BK insulated? It looks awesome and I'd like to replicate it in my system (when I eventually get around to building it out).

Old 12-14-2011, 09:24 PM   #526
jkarp
Recipes 

Self-stick duct insulation from Home Depot. SKU is 473855.

Old 12-15-2011, 03:37 PM   #527
jlachesk
Recipes 

Quote:
Self-stick duct insulation from Home Depot. SKU is 473855.
Looking at that item on Home Depot, it looks like the shiny metallic insulation product (similar to Reflectix). Oracle's BK looks like it has a coating similar to the rubber coating on some kegs? My original plan was to use Reflectix/Insulation, but after seeing Oracle's, I'm thinking I could get a bit fancier.

Old 01-05-2012, 02:37 AM   #528
dragonlor20
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Controller insides:
So, my switch combos have 2 extra screws! How do I wire this thing up?

I am assuming that I can wire it the same way as what I have seen on this thread and just leave the second screw alone, but I'm not sure...

Old 01-05-2012, 04:39 AM   #529
kickrjason
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Subscribed.

Tap#1 Summer Saison
Tap#2 Amarillo Pale Ale

Primary English Mild
Secondary -Vanilla Chai Mead

Kegged Has Hefeweisen #4, Speckled Heifer Cream Ale
Bottled - Cherry Oatmeal Stout, Burbon Vanilla Oatmeal Stout, Blueberry Hefeweisen, Stubborn Baby Pale Ale,

Old 01-05-2012, 01:41 PM   #530
jkarp
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonlor20 View Post
So, my switch combos have 2 extra screws! How do I wire this thing up?

I am assuming that I can wire it the same way as what I have seen on this thread and just leave the second screw alone, but I'm not sure...
Wasn't there a little paper in the box with wiring examples? Add a pic or two here - maybe someone will recognize it too.