Countertop Brutus 20 - Page 13 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kettles, Mash Tuns & Hot Liquor Tanks > Countertop Brutus 20

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2009, 06:53 PM   #121
CodeRage
Death by Magumba!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
CodeRage's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2007
Melbourne, Fl
Posts: 2,222
Liked 46 Times on 20 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by HarkinBanks View Post
JK is right on. After some experimenting and a lot of "Pol" reading on here, a 7 gal boil with one 2KW element will not cut it. I built my clone with two 2KW elements and it will give 7 gallons a rip roaring boil. I plug my second element into a separate circuit in my kitchen for the boil and throttle the other element in my PID back to 75%. This gives me 3500W for my full boil.
Sorry to go off topic here but I keep seeing 75%=3500W output and I dont get it.

I have an auber PID and when put into manual with a value of 75% it still is max wattage but the duty cycle is changed to 75%. I can hear my kettle with a 4500W element die down and then go to a roaring boil and continue to cycle. My At is set to 0 so it isn't because my minimum duration is set too high. It sure as heck isn't PWM because it is entirely way too slow.

Unless you mean 75% is the average of x many Watts over 100% cycle time, you are still blasting your wort with 100% power.

I believe there is an allusion that you can fine tune the amount of instantaneous heat being applied to the wort, which isn't true. At least not with this equipment.
__________________
Brutus 20e build | Electrical Primer for Brewers | Auber SYL-2362A2 PID Install & Config
So as I am walking out the door this morning I think to my self:
"self, going to work on Monday is like knowing you're going to get kicked in the nuts. You just don't know when or by who"

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:00 PM   #122
HarkinBanks
Recipes 
 
Jun 2009
Wayne, PA
Posts: 697
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeRage View Post
Sorry to go off topic here but I keep seeing 75%=3500W output and I dont get it.

I have an auber PID and when put into manual with a value of 75% it still is max wattage but the duty cycle is changed to 75%. I can hear my kettle with a 4500W element die down and then go to a roaring boil and continue to cycle. My At is set to 0 so it isn't because my minimum duration is set too high. It sure as heck isn't PWM because it is entirely way too slow.

Unless you mean 75% is the average of x many Watts over 100% cycle time, you are still blasting your wort with 100% power.

I believe there is an allusion that you can fine tune the amount of instantaneous heat being applied to the wort, which isn't true. At least not with this equipment.
I'm certainly no expert when it comes to PIDs, hell, JK drew me a diagram on how to wire it. I just know when I set my PID to 75% with my other element on 100%, I get a roaring boil on 7 gallons. That's all I need to know.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:04 PM   #123
CodeRage
Death by Magumba!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
CodeRage's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2007
Melbourne, Fl
Posts: 2,222
Liked 46 Times on 20 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by HarkinBanks View Post
I'm certainly no expert when it comes to PIDs, hell, JK drew me a diagram on how to wire it. I just know when I set my PID to 75% with my other element on 100%, I get a roaring boil on 7 gallons. That's all I need to know.
I wasn't directing anything at you bud. I have seen that math pop up here and there and it always kind of struck me funny. With several brews on my new system I finally felt experienced enough to say something.
Perhaps I have something set up wrong.

You are right. End of the day it does help control boil off rates which is all that matters.
__________________
Brutus 20e build | Electrical Primer for Brewers | Auber SYL-2362A2 PID Install & Config
So as I am walking out the door this morning I think to my self:
"self, going to work on Monday is like knowing you're going to get kicked in the nuts. You just don't know when or by who"

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:21 PM   #124
HarkinBanks
Recipes 
 
Jun 2009
Wayne, PA
Posts: 697
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeRage View Post
I wasn't directing anything at you bud. I have seen that math pop up here and there and it always kind of struck me funny. With several brews on my new system I finally felt experienced enough to say something.
Perhaps I have something set up wrong.

You are right. End of the day it does help control boil off rates which is all that matters.
Oh no problem, I am always happy to admit where my knowledge ends. Now I will wait for Pol to chime in and expand my knowledge.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:37 PM   #125
jkarp
 
jkarp's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2008
Elizabeth, CO
Posts: 2,112
Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts


You're absolutely right CodeRage. Elements are either on or off. 75% is the percentage of the time they're on.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 08:02 PM   #126
HarkinBanks
Recipes 
 
Jun 2009
Wayne, PA
Posts: 697
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts


JK, I just saw a pic of Sacc's sparge "arm" on his no sparge thread. Do you think there is a benefit to dispersing the recirculation water in the MLT like he does? As an old fly sparger, I have a small concern about dumping the recirculation water in the same spot over and over again. Just curious if you think this has any effect on the final product.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:56 AM   #127
kjones
 
kjones's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2007
Upstate, SC
Posts: 253

is this right?
http://www.auberins.com/index.php?ma...products_id=30

and also which one of the pids there are two?
http://www.auberins.com/index.php?ma...d=syl-2362+pid

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 02:03 AM   #128
BrewBeemer
Recipes 
 
Feb 2006
small island paradise, the lost atoll
Posts: 3,505
Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeRage View Post
Sorry to go off topic here but I keep seeing 75%=3500W output and I dont get it.

I have an auber PID and when put into manual with a value of 75% it still is max wattage but the duty cycle is changed to 75%. I can hear my kettle with a 4500W element die down and then go to a roaring boil and continue to cycle. My At is set to 0 so it isn't because my minimum duration is set too high. It sure as heck isn't PWM because it is entirely way too slow.

Unless you mean 75% is the average of x many Watts over 100% cycle time, you are still blasting your wort with 100% power.

I believe there is an allusion that you can fine tune the amount of instantaneous heat being applied to the wort, which isn't true. At least not with this equipment.
Think of your element like a fuel injector in your vehicle unless your vehicles have carbs, 19 carb only 2 FI vehicles and bikes in my collection call it original show and old school. The injectors operatE by the same duty cycleS, % time open flowing gas vs time closed no with no gas flow. Same asCodeRage stated above just another example. The only way to get a reduced voltage would be like a dimmer that chops the the tops of the wave cycle down hence a lower voltage causing the lamp to dim down. In this case a 5KW or 10KW dimmer would be way out of the question in just cost alone for brewing. I'll keep a VFD out of this topic as this is for motors not a resistance load.
__________________
Bier Jagdwaffe... Bier 30 zeit.....~~=o&o>..........


 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 02:32 AM   #129
HarkinBanks
Recipes 
 
Jun 2009
Wayne, PA
Posts: 697
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by kjones View Post
Yes, the SSR is correct, also get the heat sink to disperse the heat.

The first PID is the one you want, not the 30V DC powered one.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 02:33 AM   #130
harley03
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
harley03's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2007
Macomb, MI
Posts: 248


Congratulations on your BYO article nice job! It is nice to see how many on this forum have got into a magazine or publication. It would be interesting to find out how many.
__________________
Kegs and Kickstands Brewery

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--"Wow! What a Ride!""

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Countertop Brutus 20 jkarp Home Brewing Photo Forum 45 08-22-2016 08:26 PM
My Concrete countertop bar build 670x Kegerators & Keezers 19 04-03-2010 03:02 PM
Muslin OK for countertop Mash? Saint Arnould All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 5 02-02-2008 10:35 PM
First PM, Countertop Method IndyPABrewGuy All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 2 11-17-2007 02:49 PM
countertop Partial Mash compact007 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 8 10-04-2007 12:54 PM


Forum Jump