Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kettles, Mash Tuns, & Hot Liquor Tanks > Countertop Brutus 20

Old 10-22-2009, 11:38 AM   #111
jkarp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You guys got it. I think that reducer may be missing from the BOM here. It *is* in the parts list I sent to BYO. I believe they're going to be doing an on-line extension to the article at http://www.byo.com that will include it.

Old 10-23-2009, 04:46 PM   #112
Baron ken
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Got my issue of BYO yesterday in the mail.
Nice article, though I found this thread more useful (though quite a bit longer).

Old 10-23-2009, 05:23 PM   #113
jkarp
Recipes 

Thanks Baron ken. As is normal in publishing, quite a bit of detail got edited out. I'm hoping BYO will cover more of the details online when they post the materials list.

Old 10-24-2009, 06:52 PM   #114
Lonnie Mac
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Dayum my friend! Just got my BYO today. Most excellent article! (And not because you mentioned my name!)

I am very humbled my friend, and thanks! This is very much your system!

You have gone to a place where I (and a lot of others) have been thinking for quite some time. Small batch brewing... As I started in a small apartment and then went to big batches, I have been working toward smaller batches too... Although I don't have the (lack) of drinking problem you have! A small batch could last me maybe a day? I miss experimenting sometimes, but I want to do it with all grain...

Excellent system bud... Gotta have a beer one day!

Old 10-24-2009, 07:44 PM   #115
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Congratulations on the BYO Article!!!

Old 10-24-2009, 07:59 PM   #116
Sockmonkey
Recipes 

I'm still debating on whether I want to scale this system up for 5 gallons; if I can do it with a single 120V element (2000W), then it's a no brainer. If it's going to require multiple 120V elements or a 240V element, then that makes my decision much harder since it will introduce some logistical problems.

I've read every thread I can find on electric MLT / BK and some people indicate that 5 gallon batches can't be done with a single 120V element. However, the "Electric Heat Calculator" spreadsheet that has been referenced a lot indicates the following:

Heat 5 gallons 60F to 155F w/ 2000W = 37 minutes
Boil 7.5 gallons from 170F w/ 2000W = 24 minutes

These numbers seem reasonable to me. So, any thoughts or advice from JK or others?

Old 10-24-2009, 11:56 PM   #117
jkarp
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie Mac View Post
Dayum my friend! Just got my BYO today. Most excellent article! (And not because you mentioned my name!)

I am very humbled my friend, and thanks! This is very much your system!

You have gone to a place where I (and a lot of others) have been thinking for quite some time. Small batch brewing... As I started in a small apartment and then went to big batches, I have been working toward smaller batches too... Although I don't have the (lack) of drinking problem you have! A small batch could last me maybe a day? I miss experimenting sometimes, but I want to do it with all grain...

Excellent system bud... Gotta have a beer one day!
Glad ya liked it Lonnie. I had a couple of quotes in there from you that sadly hit the editing room floor, but I was pumped they added the reference to your 10 build. Next time you're in CO, the beers are on me.

Old 10-25-2009, 12:09 AM   #118
jkarp
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockmonkey View Post
IHeat 5 gallons 60F to 155F w/ 2000W = 37 minutes
Boil 7.5 gallons from 170F w/ 2000W = 24 minutes

These numbers seem reasonable to me. So, any thoughts or advice from JK or others?
5 gallons is quite doable, but that's starting volume. I get a good rolling boil with 5 gallons in my 120V 2KW kettle. After a 2 hour boil (max I ever envision doing), I'd end up with 3.5 gallons of finished beer.

Now, if you want 5 (or more likely 5.5) gallons of finished beer, you'd be looking at starting the boil with upwards of 7 gallons. Without some serious effort at controlling heat loss from the kettle, I really don't think a single 2KW element will give you a good boil on 7 gallons. POL, our resident electric brewing guru, may chime in, but I believe he'll have the same opinion. A weak boil can lead to some seriously disappointing beers (as anyone who's pushed their kitchen stove to the limits knows).

Old 10-26-2009, 06:30 PM   #119
HarkinBanks
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarp View Post
5 gallons is quite doable, but that's starting volume. I get a good rolling boil with 5 gallons in my 120V 2KW kettle. After a 2 hour boil (max I ever envision doing), I'd end up with 3.5 gallons of finished beer.

Now, if you want 5 (or more likely 5.5) gallons of finished beer, you'd be looking at starting the boil with upwards of 7 gallons. Without some serious effort at controlling heat loss from the kettle, I really don't think a single 2KW element will give you a good boil on 7 gallons. POL, our resident electric brewing guru, may chime in, but I believe he'll have the same opinion. A weak boil can lead to some seriously disappointing beers (as anyone who's pushed their kitchen stove to the limits knows).
JK is right on. After some experimenting and a lot of "Pol" reading on here, a 7 gal boil with one 2KW element will not cut it. I built my clone with two 2KW elements and it will give 7 gallons a rip roaring boil. I plug my second element into a separate circuit in my kitchen for the boil and throttle the other element in my PID back to 75%. This gives me 3500W for my full boil.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:46 PM   #120
Jaysus
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Totally super Awesome!