Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > CO2 bottle location

Old 08-07-2009, 03:35 PM   #1
LandofOZ
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default CO2 bottle location

building my Keezer, is it best to have the co2 bottle on the inside or outside and reason why please somebody

Old 08-07-2009, 03:54 PM   #2
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 51

It doesn't matter. The tank pressure is temperature dependent, but even at very low temperatures there will be more than enough tank pressure available. Put it wherever it's convenient. I usually keep the tank on the outside and only hook it up to boost the keg pressures occasionally.

Old 08-07-2009, 04:53 PM   #3
Arkador
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I keep mine inside, and it is always on.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:25 PM   #4
chuggs
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Advantage Inside...

No loose parts to get tangled, nobody can knock the bottle over...or screw with your adjusting knobs.

Disadvantage Inside...

Gotta open the Keezer just to check bottle pressure, swap out bottles, takes up space inside that could be used for beer.

Advantage Outside:

Easy to check bottle pressure, easy to swap out bottles, without opening keezer.

Disadvantage Outside: have to secure bottle some way to keep it from getting knocked over. Extra lines...have to drill another hole through keezer.

All in all...it matters not. As long as CO2 at the proper pressure gets to the kegs...It's all good.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:44 PM   #5
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I keep mine inside however I think it better in the long run to keep it outside. Not sure that the cold & moisture is good for the regulator and if you own a steel tank not sure about the rust potential. If you are exchanging tanks I guess no big deal. I recently took apart an old regulator that I bought and it had some corrosion on the inside, not sure of its history but be aware of it.

Other reasons as stated above I pretty much agree with.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:03 PM   #6
Sigafoos
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If I were to drill through an upright freezer with the shelving being the coils that freeze... where would be the safest place to put this thing?

Of course, I'm eventually going to get a chest freezer, and then this is going to become a fermentation chamber, so I'm not sure if it's a good idea...

CBW website | Twitter | Facebook | HBT thread

Niagara Association of Homebrewers ex-President
Live in or around Buffalo? Join NAH for fun and excitement!

[1:47pm] chefmike: and dont listen to sigafoos!
[1:47pm] Sigafoos: that's generally good advice

Old 08-07-2009, 06:55 PM   #7
Catt22
Recipes 

You must locate any refrigerant lines in the wallse prior to drilling. Typically, for an upright, the condenser coils are in the back, but not always. Some have them in the exterior walls. You know where the evaporator coils are (in the shelves), so those are easily avoided. Look to see if the condenser coils (sometimes just finned tubing) is mounted on the back of the freezer. It willl be large, so you can't miss it. If you don't see it, then it's likely hidden in the walls like my chest freezer. I have an upright like yours. I use it for storing my bottled lagers and hops. I run it at near freezing most ot the time. I did recently discover that you can fit a keg on the shelves if you lay it on its side and position it at an angle from front to back. I did remove the door panel on mine to provide more clearance, so if yoiur still has the door panel in place, this may not work. So, I can lager kegs in it or for cold conditioning any beer. The coils in the shelves are a PIA, but you can work around it. I got my freezer for nothing, so I can put up with a little hassle I guess.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:14 PM   #8
beerthirty
big beers turn my gears
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 13 Posts

Condenser coils are normally easily located because the condenser gives off heat. The hottest wall of the freezer is where the condenser is located. On both of my chest freezers it happens to be the front wall.
primary- Tangerine Dream, SWMBO slayer,
serving- amber ale hop experiment #6, Roggenbier, apfelwine
planning- Cru?
conditioning- 9/9/09 barleywine
Drink water?... Never, fish fornicate in it.--- W.C. Fields
Most problems can be solved with the proper application of force.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:16 PM   #9
camiller
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandofOZ View Post
building my Keezer, is it best to have the co2 bottle on the inside or outside and reason why please somebody
Yes it is best to have the co2 bottle on the inside or outside ...

Old 08-07-2009, 07:40 PM   #10
Catt22
Recipes 

This topic has lead to much heated discussion among the homebrewing community. Recently they have come to a very general consensus. Essentially, they have declared that the optimum location for a CO2 cylinder is inside or outside of a keggerator type modified freezer. There really seem to be no viable alternatives, so for the moment, the topic is dead at least until new evidence surfaces.