Countertop Brutus 20 - Page 4 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Home Brewing Photo Forum > Countertop Brutus 20

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2009, 11:27 AM   #31
The Pol
Recipes 
 
Feb 2007
Posts: 11,454
Liked 96 Times on 81 Posts


FWIW I think he is doing 3.5 gallon batches and starting with 4.5

4.5 gallons from 160F to boiling takes 18 minutes with 2000W

JT's Beer Home Page



 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 12:15 PM   #32
jkarp
Recipes 
 
Jun 2008
Elizabeth, CO
Posts: 2,108
Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts


Pol's got it. Since the system is always at 170 when I kick the PID to manual mode for the boil, time is actually a little less. I think Pol and I both found that a 5 gal boil is about the max for 120V with a single element. Proceed with caution if you're considering to scale this setup to 5 gal batches where you'll be wanting 6-7 gal pre-boil. A 240V kettle like Pols would be much more appropriate.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 01:57 PM   #33
The Pol
Recipes 
 
Feb 2007
Posts: 11,454
Liked 96 Times on 81 Posts


FWIW, I can boil 7.5-8 gallons from sparge temp. in 13 minutes with 5500W, then dial it back to 70% for the remainder of the boil. If scaling up, like J said... 240VAC is necessary as you will need a solid 3500W or so to get a nice boil at 7.5 gallons or so.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 03:38 PM   #34
jkarp
Recipes 
 
Jun 2008
Elizabeth, CO
Posts: 2,108
Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts


OK, I started a build thread in DIY...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 04:18 PM   #35
toddmuchmore
Recipes 
 
Aug 2008
Posts: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarp View Post
Pol's got it. Since the system is always at 170 when I kick the PID to manual mode for the boil, time is actually a little less. I think Pol and I both found that a 5 gal boil is about the max for 120V with a single element. Proceed with caution if you're considering to scale this setup to 5 gal batches where you'll be wanting 6-7 gal pre-boil. A 240V kettle like Pols would be much more appropriate.
Thanks guys. I actually only do 2.75gal batches. I'm the only beer drinker in the house and I like to brew and have variety. This is why this system is so appealing to me. Looking forward to reading the build thread!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 11:52 PM   #36
BrewBeemer
Recipes 
 
Feb 2006
small island paradise, the lost atoll
Posts: 3,505
Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarp View Post
Kona Brewing Longboard Lager, baby!
Na, FireRock for me, Steep Trail w/Jagged Edge in 24 pack from Costco is always in the outside frig for the general party company. The good biers on tap for those that appreciate a bier not general bier..
__________________
Bier Jagdwaffe... Bier 30 zeit.....~~=o&o>..........

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 05:22 AM   #37
geis6
Recipes 
 
Sep 2006
Brentwood, CA. (Norcal, not LA)
Posts: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewBeemer View Post
Na, FireRock for me, Steep Trail w/Jagged Edge in 24 pack from Costco is always in the outside frig for the general party company. The good biers on tap for those that appreciate a bier not general bier..
What island you on BrewBeemer where you can get beers from Concord California at your Costco, Bethel Island?
__________________
-------------------------
Ward


"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on."
-Dean Martin



Drinking - Bitter
Drinking - Pliny
Drinking - Wit

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 05:51 AM   #38
BrewBeemer
Recipes 
 
Feb 2006
small island paradise, the lost atoll
Posts: 3,505
Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by geis6 View Post
What island you on BrewBeemer where you can get beers from Concord California at your Costco, Bethel Island?
Your locations would take many days paddling an outrigger unless the westerly winds
were in my favor.
I'm still working on that keg of rum that washed ashore on the island.
Rum in the winter sounds mighty good on the beach watching the sunsets letting all worries pass.
Water water everywhere but not a drop to drink.
Careful, I have lehr on the run going crazy looking for where my island home's located.
One friend just sold a 60' tall palm tree for $15K, it was transplanted 1 1/2 miles away on the island.
__________________
Bier Jagdwaffe... Bier 30 zeit.....~~=o&o>..........


 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 07:48 PM   #39
geis6
Recipes 
 
Sep 2006
Brentwood, CA. (Norcal, not LA)
Posts: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewBeemer View Post
Careful, I have lehr on the run going crazy looking for where my island home's located.
Really? It took me 5 minutes and some google to solve the riddle. I guess that explains getting Black Diamond from Costco. You near the bay or the town?
__________________
-------------------------
Ward


"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on."
-Dean Martin



Drinking - Bitter
Drinking - Pliny
Drinking - Wit

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 05:20 PM   #40
BrewBeemer
Recipes 
 
Feb 2006
small island paradise, the lost atoll
Posts: 3,505
Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts


Neither, a city with over 3,000 privately owned boats some with waterfront properties and as well 8 marinas and the ability to handle up to 30 plus ships.


__________________
Bier Jagdwaffe... Bier 30 zeit.....~~=o&o>..........

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Countertop Brutus 20 jkarp Kettles, Mash Tuns & Hot Liquor Tanks 650 05-25-2015 12:28 PM
My Concrete countertop bar build 670x Kegerators & Keezers 19 04-03-2010 03:02 PM
Muslin OK for countertop Mash? Saint Arnould All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 5 02-02-2008 10:35 PM
First PM, Countertop Method IndyPABrewGuy All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 2 11-17-2007 02:49 PM
countertop Partial Mash compact007 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 8 10-04-2007 12:54 PM


Forum Jump