Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Wyeast 3724 Belgian Saison - they were right!
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2012, 06:58 PM   #181
llama_boy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Evergreen, Colorado
Posts: 77
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Starting my 3724 saga.

<Sep-30-12> I brewed a small saison (1.048) and pitched the cake of a big 3L starter into 5 gallons. Wort was at 75F and fully oxygenated with O2. Let it sit for a day at 75F until I had active airlock activity, about 1/sec. Just set the ramp-up from 75F-90F over the next 8 days. I'll be taking daily reading.. We shall see..

Forgot to mention, I mashed a little too high at 152F for 90mins and the grain bill is 100% barley. This will likely reduce my terminal gravity but I hope to still see 1.007.

<Update Oct-17-12> Even with the healthy starter, pure O2, and precise temperature control starting at 75* and slowly ramping to 84* (decided to stop there) I have a stuck fermentation at 1.022. I roused the yeast and after a few hour there is no new airlock activity. The sample tastes very good with a great saison profile so I am considering finishing with either 1056 or a dry wine yeast. I'll give it a few days before pitching another yeast.


llama_boy is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:39 AM   #182
permo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 2,788
Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama_boy View Post
Starting my 3724 saga.

<Sep-30-12> I brewed a small saison (1.048) and pitched the cake of a big 3L starter into 5 gallons. Wort was at 75F and fully oxygenated with O2. Let it sit for a day at 75F until I had active airlock activity, about 1/sec. Just set the ramp-up from 75F-90F over the next 8 days. I'll be taking daily reading.. We shall see..

Forgot to mention, I mashed a little too high at 152F for 90mins and the grain bill is 100% barley. This will likely reduce my terminal gravity but I hope to still see 1.007.

<Update Oct-17-12> Even with the healthy starter, pure O2, and precise temperature control starting at 75* and slowly ramping to 84* (decided to stop there) I have a stuck fermentation at 1.022. I roused the yeast and after a few hour there is no new airlock activity. The sample tastes very good with a great saison profile so I am considering finishing with either 1056 or a dry wine yeast. I'll give it a few days before pitching another yeast.

How did this end up?


permo is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:51 AM   #183
makisupa
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Westport, CT, Connecticut
Posts: 102
Default

Hi all. I've been experimenting with 3724 for a couple years and I think I can offer some very helpful advice:

Chill your saison to 85 degrees
Ferment at 92 degrees for three weeks
Age at 55 degrees for two weeks
Carbonate
DONE!

I get great, consistent results from 3724 with this technique. After you pitch at 85, put your carboy in a fermentation chamber and set it to 92 from the get go. It'll ramp up to that temp and then let it sit there. Fermentation should take off in a couple hours and you'll get to 1.000 or close in three weeks. Rack to secondary and go two weeks at 55. I then chill to 38, force carb and serve.
__________________

JONATHAN HEALEY | CINEMATOGRAPHER - EDITOR
A VIEW OF YOU | FAST, NIMBLE, RELIABLE PRODUCTION
W: AVIEWOFYOU.TV | FB: FACEBOOK.COM/AVIEWOFYOU

ON TAP: Damn The Man Black IPA, Compo Kiwi IPA
SECONDARY: Saison Vin, Saison Zin, Compo Tripel
PRIMARY:
makisupa is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:16 PM   #184
slcdawg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Golden, CO
Posts: 200
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default

Great thread! I'm brewing my first saison tonight with 3724 and read through the entire thread. I'm going to try to control temperature with a water bath and aquarium heater. I plan to pitch at 70-75F and then ramp up the temp a few degrees each day until above 85F. Not sure if I can go higher - first time fermenting at this high of temp.

My question is I'm fermenting in a bucket. I've read not to ferment in a bucket for more than 4 weeks (and this is my general practice) due to all the head space. Can I transfer to secondary at 4 weeks if its not finished yet or do I need to wait until its done? Will it finish in the secondary or do I need the yeast cake? I was thinking I could try to swirl the bottom and transfer as much yeast as possible into the secondary.
slcdawg is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:44 AM   #185
meadowstream
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 256
Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slcdawg
My question is I'm fermenting in a bucket. I've read not to ferment in a bucket for more than 4 weeks (and this is my general practice) due to all the head space. Can I transfer to secondary at 4 weeks if its not finished yet or do I need to wait until its done? Will it finish in the secondary or do I need the yeast cake? I was thinking I could try to swirl the bottom and transfer as much yeast as possible into the secondary.
What is the problem with head space in a bucket? What reasons are given for this being problematic?
meadowstream is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:48 PM   #186
SnidelyWhiplash
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: cincinnati, OH
Posts: 100
Default

does anyone understand how to control the flavor you get from the yeast? I made a starter on a stir plate at 78 and after chilling and decanting, the starter liquid had a great fruity flavor. The actual beer was pitched at 78, let it rise to 80 for 2 weeks and brought the temp up to about 90 to finish it. I got a lot more of the spicy character out of the yeast than fruity, which I think would have been better. I left it in primary for 5 weeks and it was finished.

lots of headspace in a bucket for secondary or aging would allow more oxygenation. after the initial fermentation the beer isn't pumping out CO2 and you want to minimize exposure to oxygen.
SnidelyWhiplash is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:45 PM   #187
beauvafr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Quebec, Quebec
Posts: 454
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 233

Default

Have you guys successfully sugar-carbonated you beer with 3724 without adding yeast at bottling?
beauvafr is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:08 PM   #188
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
beergolf's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: collingswood, nj
Posts: 4,864
Liked 639 Times on 489 Posts
Likes Given: 255

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauvafr View Post
Have you guys successfully sugar-carbonated you beer with 3724 without adding yeast at bottling?
Yes, do it all the time with no problems.
beergolf is offline
beauvafr Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:57 PM   #189
ShartAttack
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 25
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

So I ordered the Northern Brewer Saison extract kit and Wyeast 3724 without doing any homework. Hey, it's my 6th brew and it's like every other yeast, right?

Once I read about all the issues, I put the thermostat in my apartment up to ~76F. It's a small apartment so I didn't really want to crank up the heat quite yet so I was going to see how far I could get without having to utilize some sort of heater. Here are my gravity readings so far:

5/1/2013 PM, OG @1.055
5/3/2013 PM, @1.042
5/4/2013 AM, @1.036
5/5/2013 AM, @1.032
5/6/2013 AM, @1.029

My question for the more experienced here, am I past the hump? I've been getting plenty of airlock activity since about 2 hours after I pitched my smack pack. There was still a thin layer of krausen on top of the beer this morning. I'm fine with having to wait a while for it to dry out, but I just don't want to have to turn our spare bedroom into a sauna to get there
ShartAttack is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:36 PM   #190
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
beergolf's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: collingswood, nj
Posts: 4,864
Liked 639 Times on 489 Posts
Likes Given: 255

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShartAttack View Post
So I ordered the Northern Brewer Saison extract kit and Wyeast 3724 without doing any homework. Hey, it's my 6th brew and it's like every other yeast, right?

Once I read about all the issues, I put the thermostat in my apartment up to ~76F. It's a small apartment so I didn't really want to crank up the heat quite yet so I was going to see how far I could get without having to utilize some sort of heater. Here are my gravity readings so far:

5/1/2013 PM, OG @1.055
5/3/2013 PM, @1.042
5/4/2013 AM, @1.036
5/5/2013 AM, @1.032
5/6/2013 AM, @1.029

My question for the more experienced here, am I past the hump? I've been getting plenty of airlock activity since about 2 hours after I pitched my smack pack. There was still a thin layer of krausen on top of the beer this morning. I'm fine with having to wait a while for it to dry out, but I just don't want to have to turn our spare bedroom into a sauna to get there
Wow. 5 days and you have checked the gravity 4 times. Just let it be for a while and let the yeast do its job.

3724 does like it hot to finish. I use a cooler filled with water and an aquarium heater to get the temps up and keep them up.


beergolf is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Saison with Wyeast 3724 - 94 degrees ideal? TristanL Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 21 11-28-2013 01:39 PM
Question: Wyeast 3724 - Belgian Saison behavior EinGutesBier Recipes/Ingredients 30 05-31-2013 01:10 PM
Saison and Wyeast 3724 AnOldUR Recipes/Ingredients 11 07-01-2010 10:10 AM
Saison 3724 Yeast Starter Jsta Porter General Techniques 7 02-17-2009 05:34 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS