Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > Dorm Fridge Fermentation Chamber

Old 08-05-2009, 11:51 AM   #1
gtn80
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Dorm Fridge Fermentation Chamber

Hey guys, just thought I would put up some pics of my fermentation chamber I just built, just to have another one out there in case it helps anyone with ideas or another way to skin a cat.

I used a scavenged dorm fridge to cool the thing. In the summer it is holding 65 like a champ for ales. I tried it out, it can get down to 45 and hold it, but I don't want to burn out the condenser, so it will be ales in the summer while my basement hovers around 80, and lagers in the fall/winter when it hovers around 65.

The frame is made out of 1x3's, with two sheets of one inch foamboard on all sides. It is skinned with 1/4" plywood. In the bottom section I also added another sheet of 1/4" foamboard because I had it lying around, so figured why not reinsulate the bottom. Here is the cross section of the bottom as I built it:

I used plexiglass I scavenged from work to line the entire inside, so the dimensions of the plexi kind of dictated the build. Here is the bottom built with the plexi screwed in:

Here's a wall, without the installation added yet:

Once I got all three walls up, it was time for insulation:

Filled any gaps with spray foam to insure insulation. I put a plywood skin around the whole thing:

[IMG]ttp://farm4.static.flickr.com/3422/3768111515_46abf54c0a.jpg[/IMG]

And wired up a couple fans. The fans turn on when the Johnson turns on the fridge.

It will hold three buckets and a couple kegs. I can't wait to use it for some lagering.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:45 PM   #2
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 40 Posts

VERY nice!

You put a lot more effort into yours than I did mine. I just glued the 2" pink foam together, caulked up the seams, and used aluminum duct tape to seal and hold it together.

Mine is big enough for two 6 gallon better bottles, with a 5 gallon squeezed in by half of it extending over the threshold into the fridge.

I have an 8 gallon batch of Accidental Amber Ale fermenting in it at a steady 62*F now.

ETA: What kind of temp controller did you use? That sensor wire looks copper.

Old 08-05-2009, 02:22 PM   #3
gtn80
Recipes 

I probably overdid it a bit. I had everything except for the foam lying around, so I figured why not? Thermally I can't imagine it would be much difference without the plywood, so they're probably not that much difference in the end.