Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Busted my Better Bottle

Old 08-04-2009, 03:12 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default Busted my Better Bottle

I ran out of CO2 the other day right when I was ready to keg my Hefe. I haven't been able to make it by the place for a refill, so today I decided I better go ahead and bottle. I placed the better bottle on my kitchen table, the wife loves when I do that, and put a telephone book underneath it to wedge it up. I sanitized the bottling bucket, sanitized the bottles and was ready to go. My 2 1/2 year old then decided she wanted to see something on the counter so she started to move a chair from the table. When she moved the chair she somehow moved the better bottle a little and it tumbled to the floor. I saw some beer on the floor so I ran over to rescue my brew. When I picked up the better bottle beer starting flowing out the bottom and onto my shorts. I ran to the sink while my wife ran to find a fermenting bucket. By the time she made it back, with no clean bucket, very little remained of the beer. Not wanting anymore beer on me and wanting to vent I walked out outside and tossed the better bottle into the grass. Now my 5 gallon better bottle has a complete bottom hole about the size of a gallon of milk.

My kitchen table sits 4 foot off of the ground and my floor is linoleum (spelling). I called better bottle and they didn't offer any clues. This happen to anybody else?

Old 08-04-2009, 03:27 AM   #2
CrawGator
Recipes 

Ummm, yeah. Heavy carboys, be it glass or plastic will break when dropped from a height of 4' or so....

I hate you broke the bottle and lost all the beer. Chalk it up to lessons learned and secure your area better next time!!
Next up: bourbon barrel stout and Orange Dreamsicle Ale.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:31 AM   #3
eschatz

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 19 Posts

Brutal. I'll play taps as I hoist a pint.

What's tappening? :D

Old 08-04-2009, 03:33 AM   #4
Gremlyn
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I've dropped a 5 gal water bottle before, did a very similar thing to your better bottle. They aren't indestructible, they just won't shatter into a million death-shards when you drop them. Sad you had to lose the beer though

Old 08-04-2009, 04:25 AM   #5
jpc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 48 Posts

Especially with a child around, be glad it was a BB, as others have said. I watched five gallons of goodness crash down to a concrete floor years ago, but was glad that it fell away from me rather than towards me.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:24 PM   #6
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 40 Posts

Hmmm, take the BB, flip it over.

Now, add a lid to the hole in the bottom, with a hole the size of an airlock stem.

You now have a conical.

I have been considering trying something like that with a 5 gallon water bottle.

Something to play with, now that you have the hole in it. Be a shame to let it go to waste.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:51 PM   #7
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Called the Better Bottle folks last night and they told me that they drop BB's off a table at a height of 6 foot onto a cement floor. They claim that they don't break. They went on to ask me about how hot I put water or wort into the BB, and asked what I clean with. The website says unbreakable. I was upset all night about the beer and the bb. The wife didn't seem to mind, wait till I buy another bb and see what she says then.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:56 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2840 Times on 1686 Posts
Likes Given: 3500

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1234 View Post
Called the Better Bottle folks last night and they told me that they drop BB's off a table at a height of 6 foot onto a cement floor. They claim that they don't break. They went on to ask me about how hot I put water or wort into the BB, and asked what I clean with. The website says unbreakable. I was upset all night about the beer and the bb. The wife didn't seem to mind, wait till I buy another bb and see what she says then.
You may want to send an email..or pm flyangler and ask who he talked to at BB...

They had a different tune about "unbreakability" in his case.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/bett...learned-97078/

They can't claim un breakability when they acknowlege it is possible for them to break.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-04-2009, 03:58 PM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2840 Times on 1686 Posts
Likes Given: 3500

Oh if you look at the thread I posted, flyangler got an email from "Walter" there...HE admits that sometimes they do break....

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-12-2009, 05:15 AM   #10
BlindLemonLars
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Honestly...just be glad your 2.5 year old broke a BB and not a glass carboy. Next to that happy fact, every other issue here is completely insignificant.