Dumbest Commercial - Dell "Lollipop" Commercial - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Dumbest Commercial - Dell "Lollipop" Commercial

Old 08-04-2009, 02:37 AM   #1
eljefe
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Pittsburgh
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Seriously, what the hell is this about? I have absolutely no desire to buy a laptop from a bunch of guys in overalls singing 50's hits. What happened to "sex sells"? Give me a bunch of bikini clad women singing Berlin's "Sex" and I am out the door, on my way to Best Buy to blow my wad (pun intended) on a new laptop.
Secondary 2:
Keg 1: Northern Brew #1
Keg 2: 11.11.11
Next Up: Bourbonator

Old 08-04-2009, 02:48 AM   #2
flaminpi3

Recipes 

Feb 2009
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

YES! I hate that f-ing commercial. And it comes on all the damn time. Every time I hear the little beeps at the very beginning, I have to turn off the tv.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:48 AM   #3
MBasile
Recipes 

Jun 2009
Austin, TX
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

You know what's always bothered me about that commercial?

Shortly after the first guy comes on screen, the second guy comes up from right below him, putting his clothes back on. What the hell was happening before they started singing?

Total gallons in 2012: 10

Old 08-04-2009, 03:08 AM   #4
eljefe

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Pittsburgh
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBasile View Post
You know what's always bothered me about that commercial?

Shortly after the first guy comes on screen, the second guy comes up from right below him, putting his clothes back on. What the hell was happening before they started singing?
I would assume they were licking each other's lollipops.

Sorry, I couldn't let it go!
Secondary 2:
Keg 1: Northern Brew #1
Keg 2: 11.11.11
Next Up: Bourbonator

Old 08-04-2009, 03:27 AM   #5
MBasile
Recipes 

Jun 2009
Austin, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljefe View Post
I would assume they were licking each other's lollipops.

Sorry, I couldn't let it go!
No need to apologize, that was what I was eluding too

Old 08-04-2009, 03:41 AM   #6
olllllo
[]-O-[]

Recipes 

Apr 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
Liked 140 Times on 114 Posts

Palm Pre.

First of all they are ripping off (poorly so) Laurie Anderson's multi-media performance art schtick right down to the cadence and phrasing.

Second AAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHHHHHHHHH! This vvvv

Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 08-04-2009, 04:00 AM   #7
CodeRage
Death by Magumba!

Recipes 

Aug 2007
Melbourne, Fl
Liked 46 Times on 20 Posts

You think the commercial was annoying, you should call up and try to order a laptop, or heaven forbid get tech support...

Old 08-04-2009, 07:03 AM   #8
MBasile
Recipes 

Jun 2009
Austin, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by olllllo View Post
Palm Pre.

First of all they are ripping off (poorly so) Laurie Anderson's multi-media performance art schtick right down to the cadence and phrasing.

Second AAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHHHHHHHHH! This vvvv

YouTube - Palm Pre CM (Traumatizing Edition)
Gee, thanks, I had forgotten about those ones!

Old 08-04-2009, 07:11 AM   #9
Austinhomebrew
Recipes 

Mar 2007
Liked 121 Times on 100 Posts

I think that the commercial is a success because you can't forget it and hear you are talking about it. The colored computers are not made for middle aged men. So, the commercial is not made for middle aged men.

Just like when I am in the car and some rap music comes on the radio. My mother complains that she doesn't like it. I have to remind her that she is not supposed to like it. It wasn't made for 68 year old white people. "Mom, you are not their target audience"

Forrest

Old 08-04-2009, 07:21 AM   #10
MBasile
Recipes 

Jun 2009
Austin, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinhomebrew View Post
I think that the commercial is a success because you can't forget it and hear you are talking about it. The colored computers are not made for middle aged men. So, the commercial is not made for middle aged men.

Just like when I am in the car and some rap music comes on the radio. My mother complains that she doesn't like it. I have to remind her that she is not supposed to like it. It wasn't made for 68 year old white people. "Mom, you are not their target audience"

Forrest
Yeah, thats the trick to advertising, getting people to further the product name. I was surprised to hear that the GEICO caveman commercials increased new customers by something like 40% for the company. And I've heard far fewer people say they like them rather than can't stand them. The thing is though, they are so catchy and different that people were talking about them everywhere!