Minimum AG investment? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Minimum AG investment?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2009, 01:01 AM   #1
LordHedgie
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
Washington
Posts: 151


Hey ya'll,

I've been brewing extract (and one sorta partial, using 2 lbs of grain), but I'd like to step up to AG brewing. I'm looking to minimize the financial hit, or at least keep my wife from attacking me. Logging onto various brewing supply sites, I see AG setups costing between several hundred and over a thousand dollars, but it seems like most of the equipment is unnecessary.

It seems like I should be able to buy a burner ($75), a larger kettle (not sure what size is required, but should be about $100), and build a Zapap lauter tun for $30 or so.

With that equipment, I should be able to heat water in the kettle, mash in the kettle using a bag, then transfer to the Zapap. I could heat water in my current smaller kettle for sparging, then brew in the large kettle and ferment as usual. Total cost would be $200 plus whatever a propane tank costs... Am I missing something, or is AG brewing much cheaper than the LHBS implies? Is there anything else I want or need?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 01:09 AM   #2
Pete08
Recipes 
 
Jul 2008
SW Oregon
Posts: 502
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHedgie View Post
Hey ya'll,

I've been brewing extract (and one sorta partial, using 2 lbs of grain), but I'd like to step up to AG brewing. I'm looking to minimize the financial hit, or at least keep my wife from attacking me. Logging onto various brewing supply sites, I see AG setups costing between several hundred and over a thousand dollars, but it seems like most of the equipment is unnecessary.

It seems like I should be able to buy a burner ($75), a larger kettle (not sure what size is required, but should be about $100), and build a Zapap lauter tun for $30 or so.

With that equipment, I should be able to heat water in the kettle, mash in the kettle using a bag, then transfer to the Zapap. I could heat water in my current smaller kettle for sparging, then brew in the large kettle and ferment as usual. Total cost would be $200 plus whatever a propane tank costs... Am I missing something, or is AG brewing much cheaper than the LHBS implies? Is there anything else I want or need?
Watch Amazon for Bayou Classic burners. I got mine for $30, there was free shipping on that item. It has the high pressure reg and really takes off! I bought a heavy gauge AL 15 gallon pot on Amazon as well. I think it was $70 shipped, although you could probably do better. Another option is a turkey fryer on sale. The pot capacity may lead to boilovers, however.
__________________
I used to be dyslexic, but am KO now!!

Enola Gay--Far East Tour Summer '45--Coming to Your Town, Limited Engagement--Get Your Seats Now!!--They'll Be Gone in a Flash!!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 01:18 AM   #3
Scooby_Brew
Recipes 
 
Jun 2009
Canton, MI
Posts: 987
Liked 41 Times on 27 Posts


I used a 7.5 gal Turkey Fryer for heating/boiling, and a cooler for a mush/lauter tun. It was cheap and it worked great for years.
I made my mash-lauter tun like this:

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:10 AM   #4
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
 
wilserbrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2007
Jersey Shore, Jersey
Posts: 9,421
Liked 1314 Times on 1006 Posts


+1 on the cooler and braid set up above over a zap pap lauter tun. You can brew all grain on the cheap if that is your gaol.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:33 AM   #5
ajf
Senior Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
ajf's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2005
Long Island
Posts: 4,646
Liked 105 Times on 99 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHedgie View Post
It seems like I should be able to buy a burner ($75), a larger kettle (not sure what size is required, but should be about $100), and build a Zapap lauter tun for $30 or so.
Is there anything else I want or need?
As Pete08 said, $75.00 is excessive for a burner. Mine cost me < $40 fro Home depot.

I brewed 5g batches with a 7.5g kettle for many years. I had to be very careful about boil-overs, but now you can get anti-foam. An enamel coated preserving pan if you can find one should cast you way less than $100. (Mine cost me less than $20, but that was a few years ago.)
I started AG with something similar to the Zapap, and got reasonable results, but got much better results using a 5g Gott cooler. This could be because I was fly sparging, and lost a lot of heat over the duration of the sparge with the plastic bucket. This may not be such an issue with batch sparging.
One of the two things I think you are missing is a wort chiller. I know that there have been some threads about no chill brewing recently, but I haven't read any of them because I know they are wrong (and I am a bigot).
The other thing is a grain mill. Mine paid for itself the day I bought it (along with 6 months supply of grain), but YMMV.

-a.
__________________
There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:46 AM   #6
Scooby_Brew
Recipes 
 
Jun 2009
Canton, MI
Posts: 987
Liked 41 Times on 27 Posts


I would check the local Craigs List for a second-hand, but unused 30 qrts. turkey fryer:
classifieds - craigslist

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 03:03 AM   #7
LordHedgie
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
Washington
Posts: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby_Brew View Post
I used a 7.5 gal Turkey Fryer for heating/boiling, and a cooler for a mush/lauter tun. It was cheap and it worked great for years.
I made my mash-lauter tun like this:
Quick question -- you haven't got any sort of false bottom. How does the system filter the mash? I see the toilet supply line, but isn't that just a flexible steel pipe? How does that work?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 03:27 AM   #8
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Nurmey's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2007
Omaha, NE
Posts: 3,983
Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHedgie View Post
Quick question -- you haven't got any sort of false bottom. How does the system filter the mash? I see the toilet supply line, but isn't that just a flexible steel pipe? How does that work?
You might want to read this thread. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/chea...version-23008/

It helped me understand how to convert my cooler.
__________________
Batch 1 Brewing
The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 03:34 AM   #9
LordHedgie
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
Washington
Posts: 151

Thanks, great link. I didn't catch that you've removed the hose from the braid to create a filter, got it now. Thanks!

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Better investment - Immersion chiller or Counterflow? St. Jon's Wort Equipment/Sanitation 10 04-01-2010 01:18 PM
Online Investment Sites srm775 General Chit Chat 26 03-05-2008 10:27 PM
Investment op.... Dude Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling 52 08-18-2006 01:37 PM


Forum Jump